Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny League & Cup Results - Sat Sept 29th 2012

Yeh 86 Rich! Might take abit longer mate, I went over on my ankle ligaments yesterday. Should have come off half time really, thought I might have another goal in me but hit the bar from a header so called it a day!! Probably made it worse, be 3/4 weeks from previous experience!! Good win for the red and blacks bud. :-)

Yeh 86 Rich! Might take abit longer mate, I went over on my ankle ligaments yesterday. Should have come off half time really, thought I might have another goal in me but hit the bar from a header so called it a day!! Probably made it worse, be 3/4 weeks from previous experience!! Good win for the red and blacks bud. :-)

Sorry to hear that Rappo mate, you're gonna be a big loss to us over those games, but we'll try and get as many wins under our belt for your return. One thing to do though is never try and reply to a thread on your phone as from the above I never meant to copy and paste your comments! :-) Anyways rest it up mate and get back when ur ready and fit. I'll have to up my goals ratio now but will give it my best! Take it easy and looking forward to seeing you back up front very soon!

Has helston team changed much from last year ?

Team has changed a fair bit actually - lost Mikey thru work and golf but had a couple drop down from the first team and lost another to combo - but no excuses for yesterday - Helston were terrible from start to finish - probably as bad as they have ever been in the last 2 or 3 seasons. Might end up being a blessing in disguise come the end of the season but still wanted to win that cup. Will have to wait for Easter weekend now to play Illogan......

Thanx Els, yeh bit gutted mate, enjoying it this season, got a good bunch ain't we! Sure you'll be fine without me bud, plenty of goals in you and Deano I reckon. Got a good physio so hoping sooner the better? Watching the Ryder Cup with a nice golf ball on my ankle mate!! Catch you soon Els x

If you want to score that many with the time you have left in football, you better play with the girlies teams. You play like one anyway!!!!

Team has changed a fair bit actually - lost Mikey thru work and golf but had a couple drop down from the first team and lost another to combo - but no excuses for yesterday - Helston were terrible from start to finish - probably as bad as they have ever been in the last 2 or 3 seasons. Might end up being a blessing in disguise come the end of the season but still wanted to win that cup. Will have to wait for Easter weekend now to play Illogan......

dont think you will be playing illogan on easter weekend . one of the teams will need to come from the east

Ahh FairPlay mate .. Was shocked about the result. Solid team last season. Helston as a whole looks to be on the up. Yes junior cup we may meet.

dont think you will be playing illogan on easter weekend . one of the teams will need to come from the east

but we have arranged a special match ha ha

Thanx Els, yeh bit gutted mate, enjoying it this season, got a good bunch ain't we! Sure you'll be fine without me bud, plenty of goals in you and Deano I reckon. Got a good physio so hoping sooner the better? Watching the Ryder Cup with a nice golf ball on my ankle mate!! Catch you soon Els x

Yeah we have a great bunch up at St Erme Rappo mate, I'm really enjoying it this season.... Well we'll be hoping we can find some goals, I'll defo be giving it my best shot (parden the pun!!) But yeah mate rest it up and we'll be looking forward to getting you back mate as you'll be missed for sure, take it easy!! x

Re Halsetown v Pool as above

I was at this one as a neutral, and agree with most of the comments above. The ref should be congratulated for stepping in to ensure we have a game, but even he will have to admit he made mistakes. The issue with the backpass (even the Pool linesman was confused over the law in question) being a case in point.

What he can be blamed for however was his timekeeping. 41 and a half minutes first half, just under 35 minutes second half. No reason for this to be less than 45 each way and even so the two halves should be of equal length.

Oh, and that blasted noise from the circus didn't help the enjoyment!

Best of luck to bost teams for the rest of the season

Trelawny Div 4:

Newquay 3rds 2(2) - (0)1 Carharrack Res

Well Its come to that point of my day where i realised i havent done my weekly report and i am sorry for leaving you all in the dark over this game. I will try to remember as much as i can of the game but there was alot.

Well lets start with the first half seems a good point to start with. The game started brightly for both sides in the st.columb minor sunshine, both teams looking great in there kits and the ref ready. Kick off.... Newquay started off defending for around 10 minutes with Carharrack pushing early but a shot wide and dominance of the ball didnt see the scoreline change. Newquay then created a chance with alex coles breaking free and just the keeper to beat but sending the ball to the corner flag . However he shortly made up for such a miss and a few after but turning about 18 yards out and bending in a shot like that manc player rafeal did v lpool. the ball went round the post and hung in the net. 1-0 Newquay. Then Newquay doubled there lead minutes later. much to the anger of Player manager Chown in goal today with his team caught napping so quickly newquay had a 2 on one versus chown and decided to pass the ball between each other a few times with a hint of offside in the goal however it was left for george starky to slot the ball into the net. 2-0 newquay.

Maybe Carharrack will start now nope newquay gained more and more confidence and were counter attacking with great speed and grace. however Onslow a number of times made last ditch challenges in his quest to keep the scoreline down and he did so very well. However one time he didnt time his tackle with the grace of the others and sent newquay striker tumbling, the ref gave a freekick but no cards which is a good thing to see in local football. Carharrack did create chances with Brokenshire missing 4 chances S.Hutchens missing a couple and hitting the post and Stevens having a 30 yards rocket smash the crossbar bounce down (not sure were too) but it came out, but non went in the net so the score stayed 2-0 till half time.

Half time speech which i know Newquay fans found very fun with my "lets make these buggers run they probably all been on the :drink: in newquay all night" seemed to work!!

2nd half, This is were the game took one hell of a turn of events. Chowns team came out like a different team, passing was brilliant and keeping the ball but also creating chances. Firstly if i remember carharrack hit the post through dawes. then carharrack his the post through Brokenshire. Then through Hutchens again. The newquay keeper was also in fine form making some pure worldlie saves. tipping an effort from Stevens over the bar which was in . Then Carharrack used there dominance to effect with a cross from the touchline Stevens heading across the line but Datson grabbed his first for the club and first goal in about 15 years with a 1/2 inch tap-in. However we did not see a celebration from the Lad as he was too busy getting back to start the game. Carharrack made changes just like newquay trying to turn the screw and Newquay hanging on too the scoreline.

With minutes left on the clock Newquay broke away and the Bald guy in the middle bend his shot in the top corner only to be denied by chown. But this wasnt the end of the action from the resulting corner kick. and a tussle in the box had 2 players splashed on by Chown to stop the ball going anywhere to which the Newquay bald guy wasnt happy and grabbed and threw the grass at Chown. The ref took no action which was nice to see. This still wasnt it. Carharrack pushed like wilderbeasts throught the savana on there quest for water and Dawes lead the pack with a great run, then cutting in to smash the ball again .. yes you guessed it the post, it flew off the post and went for a goal kick. This was the end of the game and Carharrack walked away with no points but great heart and spirt and passion shown. The ref, Newquay players , manager and fans could see how we got nothing but like a great man once said. "Thats football."

So Overall today Carharrack Hit the post 6 times i think and being a liverpool fan this feels familiar. Lets hope i dont loose my job tho.

Man of the Match for Newquay: The keeper! great performance and won the game for newquay.

Man of the Match for Carharrack: Paul Jolly! never stopped running in midfield and helped keep his side pushing.

**** of the day for Carharrack : Paul Jolly / Jamie Onslow: Both couldnt get to grips with warming up passing.

Well done to Newquay great bunch of lads and great game. Well done to Mr Roberts in the middle in the black for a sensible and well reffed game in which he let a great game flow. How does a man of his ref background get games in div 4?? ex non league too but thanks to the ref bloke cause hes a great ref and great guy.

Ps .. I know we lost but id like to thank newquay for the cold showers on such a hot day great thinkin ahead haha! :yahoo:

Next up for Carharrack ... Lizard i do believe!

I was at this one as a neutral, and agree with most of the comments above. The ref should be congratulated for stepping in to ensure we have a game, but even he will have to admit he made mistakes. The issue with the backpass (even the Pool linesman was confused over the law in question) being a case in point.

What he can be blamed for however was his timekeeping. 41 and a half minutes first half, just under 35 minutes second half. No reason for this to be less than 45 each way and even so the two halves should be of equal length.

Oh, and that blasted noise from the circus didn't help the enjoyment!

Best of luck to bost teams for the rest of the season

Richard,

I think sadly this is something that teams are going to have to get used to this season (few I hope). With the shortage in available referee's teams are going to have to make decisions - play or not?

If someone takes the whistle for a game who is not officially appointed;

1. It has to be expected that their knowledge of law MAY be limited

2. That they will not get things right all of the time

3. They will miss things

4. They may possibly be seen in teams opinions to be biased

A point that was raised previously on this forum is, that if people do not take up the whistle and become a referee, in seasons to come we may see this decision being made far too often by teams.

Trelawny Div 4:

Newquay 3rds 2(2) - (0)1 Carharrack Res

Well Its come to that point of my day where i realised i havent done my weekly report and i am sorry for leaving you all in the dark over this game. I will try to remember as much as i can of the game but there was alot.

Well lets start with the first half seems a good point to start with. The game started brightly for both sides in the st.columb minor sunshine, both teams looking great in there kits and the ref ready. Kick off.... Newquay started off defending for around 10 minutes with Carharrack pushing early but a shot wide and dominance of the ball didnt see the scoreline change. Newquay then created a chance with alex coles breaking free and just the keeper to beat but sending the ball to the corner flag . However he shortly made up for such a miss and a few after but turning about 18 yards out and bending in a shot like that manc player rafeal did v lpool. the ball went round the post and hung in the net. 1-0 Newquay. Then Newquay doubled there lead minutes later. much to the anger of Player manager Chown in goal today with his team caught napping so quickly newquay had a 2 on one versus chown and decided to pass the ball between each other a few times with a hint of offside in the goal however it was left for george starky to slot the ball into the net. 2-0 newquay.

Maybe Carharrack will start now nope newquay gained more and more confidence and were counter attacking with great speed and grace. however Onslow a number of times made last ditch challenges in his quest to keep the scoreline down and he did so very well. However one time he didnt time his tackle with the grace of the others and sent newquay striker tumbling, the ref gave a freekick but no cards which is a good thing to see in local football. Carharrack did create chances with Brokenshire missing 4 chances S.Hutchens missing a couple and hitting the post and Stevens having a 30 yards rocket smash the crossbar bounce down (not sure were too) but it came out, but non went in the net so the score stayed 2-0 till half time.

Half time speech which i know Newquay fans found very fun with my "lets make these buggers run they probably all been on the :drink: in newquay all night" seemed to work!!

2nd half, This is were the game took one hell of a turn of events. Chowns team came out like a different team, passing was brilliant and keeping the ball but also creating chances. Firstly if i remember carharrack hit the post through dawes. then carharrack his the post through Brokenshire. Then through Hutchens again. The newquay keeper was also in fine form making some pure worldlie saves. tipping an effort from Stevens over the bar which was in . Then Carharrack used there dominance to effect with a cross from the touchline Stevens heading across the line but Datson grabbed his first for the club and first goal in about 15 years with a 1/2 inch tap-in. However we did not see a celebration from the Lad as he was too busy getting back to start the game. Carharrack made changes just like newquay trying to turn the screw and Newquay hanging on too the scoreline.

With minutes left on the clock Newquay broke away and the Bald guy in the middle bend his shot in the top corner only to be denied by chown. But this wasnt the end of the action from the resulting corner kick. and a tussle in the box had 2 players splashed on by Chown to stop the ball going anywhere to which the Newquay bald guy wasnt happy and grabbed and threw the grass at Chown. The ref took no action which was nice to see. This still wasnt it. Carharrack pushed like wilderbeasts throught the savana on there quest for water and Dawes lead the pack with a great run, then cutting in to smash the ball again .. yes you guessed it the post, it flew off the post and went for a goal kick. This was the end of the game and Carharrack walked away with no points but great heart and spirt and passion shown. The ref, Newquay players , manager and fans could see how we got nothing but like a great man once said. "Thats football."

So Overall today Carharrack Hit the post 6 times i think and being a liverpool fan this feels familiar. Lets hope i dont loose my job tho.

Man of the Match for Newquay: The keeper! great performance and won the game for newquay.

Man of the Match for Carharrack: Paul Jolly! never stopped running in midfield and helped keep his side pushing.

**** of the day for Carharrack : Paul Jolly / Jamie Onslow: Both couldnt get to grips with warming up passing.

Well done to Newquay great bunch of lads and great game. Well done to Mr Roberts in the middle in the black for a sensible and well reffed game in which he let a great game flow. How does a man of his ref background get games in div 4?? ex non league too but thanks to the ref bloke cause hes a great ref and great guy.

Ps .. I know we lost but id like to thank newquay for the cold showers on such a hot day great thinkin ahead haha! :yahoo:

Next up for Carharrack ... Lizard i do believe!

Good report, game definetley changed at half time, the only thing missing is that after your guy scored from half an inch out about 10 mins later our forward managed to blaze the ball a good 30 foot over from the same distance followed by a load of stick from everyone on and off the pitch.

Good luck for the rest of the season

Guest BenTheYeti

The issue with the backpass (even the Pool linesman was confused over the law in question) being a case in point.

What happened with the back pass?

Even I'm not sure lol.. though I was on the other touchline and at least 50 yards away.

A low cross/shot of no great power came in from the right and (from where I was stood) the defender seemed to put his foot out which slowed the ball down.. I think everyone thought the keeper would clear it away but instead he picked it up. All of Halsetown cries "backpass!" and the ref gives it. Obviously, looking back at previous posts, this decision seems biased to the Pool Utd lads who say that it hit the defender rather than him controlling it.

Now the confusing part, the ref has already given the free kick, but either the linesman had his flag up or called the ref over (again, I'm 50 yards away so not sure which), and they go into discussion, after which the ref puts the ball down on the edge of the six yard area where he'd given the free kick, and gets one of the Halsetown lads to tap the ball back into the keeper's hands.

A bit of a strange one really, I'd have been interested to see what a County appointed Referee would have done in the same scenario

Assuming Richard, you were the guy stood on the touchline nearest to the circus (now there's a line I thought I'd never type on a football forum) when I was running the line in the first half, I'm guessing you would have heard the conversation between linesman and referee?

The issue with the backpass (even the Pool linesman was confused over the law in question) being a case in point.

What happened with the back pass?

Even I'm not sure lol.. though I was on the other touchline and at least 50 yards away.

A low cross/shot of no great power came in from the right and (from where I was stood) the defender seemed to put his foot out which slowed the ball down.. I think everyone thought the keeper would clear it away but instead he picked it up. All of Halsetown cries "backpass!" and the ref gives it. Obviously, looking back at previous posts, this decision seems biased to the Pool Utd lads who say that it hit the defender rather than him controlling it.

Now the confusing part, the ref has already given the free kick, but either the linesman had his flag up or called the ref over (again, I'm 50 yards away so not sure which), and they go into discussion, after which the ref puts the ball down on the edge of the six yard area where he'd given the free kick, and gets one of the Halsetown lads to tap the ball back into the keeper's hands.

A bit of a strange one really, I'd have been interested to see what a County appointed Referee would have done in the same scenario

Assuming Richard, you were the guy stood on the touchline nearest to the circus (now there's a line I thought I'd never type on a football forum) when I was running the line in the first half, I'm guessing you would have heard the conversation between linesman and referee?

Just to let you know - until play re-starts the referee can change his / her mind. Even though an in-direct free kick was initially awarded, from following discussions with assistants, the referee is entitled to change his / her mind.

The re-start that he gave was correct (in my opinion) as the goal keeper would have had the ball in hand before the stoppage. Offically there should have been a drop ball to re-start the match, but as the ball was on the edge of the six yard area most referee's would likely have re-started in the same way. Good decision :thumbsup:

From what you say, when the ball was crossed / passed and the defender put out his foot not controlling it fully, then I myself would not have given a back pass. I think many other referee's would agree with this based on your description.

Hope this helps.

Guest BenTheYeti

Cheers chaps!

It was one of those that, even a neutral observer would have struggled to call it one way or the other I think. And again, as said above, the whole situation didn't really help matters on the pitch at the time!

Anyway, onwards (and hopefully) upwards!

I may or may not have been by you in the first half Ben, I wandered around the pitch as I tend to do during the game.

My comment re the "back pass" - yes I was right by the Pool linesmen when he spoke to the ref. His only reason for it not being a back pass was that the ball actually travelled forward and not back, which I do not believe to be relevant. Of course, the fact that it was a miscue by the defender and not a genuine pass to the keeper meant the ref eventually got it right.

One other related point - I have seen half a dozen Duchy/Trelawny games this season and have been impressed by the standard of club linesman - appears to be a much better standard than in previous years.

I may or may not have been by you in the first half Ben, I wandered around the pitch as I tend to do during the game.

My comment re the "back pass" - yes I was right by the Pool linesmen when he spoke to the ref. His only reason for it not being a back pass was that the ball actually travelled forward and not back, which I do not believe to be relevant. Of course, the fact that it was a miscue by the defender and not a genuine pass to the keeper meant the ref eventually got it right.

One other related point - I have seen half a dozen Duchy/Trelawny games this season and have been impressed by the standard of club linesman - appears to be a much better standard than in previous years.

Hi Richard - just to clear up the law where you are right above, the ball does not have to travel in a backwards direction. A back pass means - a player passes the ball back to his own goal keeper and the goal keeper controls the ball with his hands.