Cornwall Football Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nemesis

Unusual Cornish Football Programme

If it is the 1966/67 season

Played on 17th December 1966

Newquay Reserves 0-6 Truro City Reserves

I think the "after a lapse of a few seasons" was guess work and I am going with this date (17th December 66) as the programme advertised forthcoming fixtures-

December 26th. v Illogan CL 11-00am (Newquay SWL at Wadebridge)

December 31st. Helston 1st.Rd.Charity Cup 2-15pm

Just for good measure these were the lineups

Newquay

.Bullock-R Fullwood-A Wilcock-T Bedding-G Veale-A Brenton-M Perry-R Brenton-A Roberts-G Andrew-P Chadwick

Truro

P Collins-V Salmon-K Trewhella-A Edmond-R Phillips-H Richards-D.Hawke-M Greeno-B Solomon-A Hill-(A Another)

Referee P J Freestone

Currently on ebay...1933 St Austell v Plymouth reserves.

Anyone have a clue if this is genuine? By my research 5th of February that year was actually a Sunday! However have never seen a St Austell programme of that age so no idea if it is the real deal...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/aw-cgi-/221301876900?

According to GOS the first team played on the 4th that weekend which would conform the Sunday for the 5th...

Seems a lot of effort to make a fake though!

Peter

Argyle Reserves won The Southern League that season, whilst St Austell were in the Cornish Senior League, it is unlikely that they would have met, even in Cup Competition unless it was a 'friendly' match.

However, the date is somewhat of a concern, as does the fact that the seller does seem to list many programmes (Rugby & football) with a Plymouth or Chelsea interest, every few months or so, the main items being train sets and accessories. I'd like to be able to read the text this would no doubt shed light on what type of match this was.

According to my CCFA Centenary book

In season `1938-39 St.Austell were Plymouth & District League Champions and the P.&.D Charity Cup

So there is a good possibility they were playing P & D football in 1933 and its likely Plymouth Argyle had a side as well,

1937 St.Austell were runners up to Plymouth Argyl "A" in the P.&.D. League

Currently on ebay...1933 St Austell v Plymouth reserves.

Anyone have a clue if this is genuine? By my research 5th of February that year was actually a Sunday! However have never seen a St Austell programme of that age so no idea if it is the real deal...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/aw-cgi-/221301876900?

According to GOS the first team played on the 4th that weekend which would conform the Sunday for the 5th...

Seems a lot of effort to make a fake though!

Peter

Over 3 Days of bidding to go and it has reached £62-00

Still there as of a minute ago....

I have a 1912 Argyle home ...there is no yellowing or fading...depends how they are stored...also he has positive feedback on previous old items including one that went for £310 ( rugby types eh)

Not sure about the paper size...it doesn't look standard A4 to me ....he may just be using that as a guideline...

Nope, still there ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/aw-cgi-/221301876900

I have asked the seller several questions, pointed out the date etc, but no reply for 48 hours. I'm sure that at the price it is at, only serious buyers would be bidding and they must know what they are bidding on. If any of you have a Grandad who collected stuff, there may well be a few old Senior Cup Final progs in storage, up in lofts etc, most folk back in the Pre-60's went to finals, crowds of 6-8-10 thousand were regular on Easter Mondays.

Get looking chaps and chapesses, Xmas could be paid for if you come across the right prog.

That's very true...the Plymouth 1912 was found stuck in a scrapbook that no-one thought had any value until the auctioneer flicked through it.

That one would have paid for Christmas and an Easter egg of three!

Anyone got the St Just v Argyle feast day games I would love to get scans....or buy!

Peter

That's very true...the Plymouth 1912 was found stuck in a scrapbook that no-one thought had any value until the auctioneer flicked through it.

That one would have paid for Christmas and an Easter egg of three!

Anyone got the St Just v Argyle feast day games I would love to get scans....or buy!

Peter

Penzance have a letter from Argyle thanking Penzance for allowing the transfer of two Penzance players to Argyle dated 1899. It is the oldest thing in the Penzance archive.

Argyle weren't even in the Southern League then, nor the Western League.

I have had a reply from the seller, make your own minds up...

Good evening, sorry for taking a while to reply - this programme , and all the others I've listed in the past are from the same collection from an elderly gent who's lived here in Bexleyheath all his life - and so had lots of football programmes mainly from Chelsea FC and Charlton. I basically saved them all from being burnt when his house was cleared - as they must have some historical interest to someone.

I do know that his father was from Bere Alston in Devon and he had relatives and extended family in Cornwall, which may explain why there were also quite a few programmes for games in the westcounty, and even a cricket sore card dated 1898 for a match in Truro. Given the date, this programme can only have come from his fathers collection (his father was a 'collector' too) I'm afriad I don't know anything about football myself though!! but the small main text might help explain what this match actually was, so I'll add a transcription of the whole thing , hopefully that might help??

Regards

Jon

T'was bought by me.

Now received and if anyone would like a scan of it for reference just drop me a message.

Seems genuine in terms of paper quality etc

Anyway...it would be good to solve the mystery of the match!

Peter

i have a Truro city program dated sept 13th 1972 when the mighty Arsenal played at Treyew road the score was 6-2 to the Arsenal Liam Brady with a hat trick Frank Stapleton with 1other scorers john mattews and david price in the Truro side the late Ernie Hooper played as well as Terry Askey Truro was skippered that day by Brian Rimes .

i have got his autograph on the program Brian the Truro team that day was 1 salibury 2Adams 3 williams 4 hooper 5 a morris 6 askey 7 rosevear 8 wardle 9rimes 10 durkin 11 k morris subs salmon 12 martin 13 bostick 14 somerville ARSENAL 1 freeman 2 donaldson 3 matthews 4 price 5 mackinnon 6 powling 7 brady 8 hornsby 9 stapleton 10 harding 11 ross 12 o brien 13 davis 14 winstone 15 ambrose ref was Bill Pearce and no it wasnt my old man who was also called bill pearce I also saw a very young Ryan Giggs play at truro on a very foggy night he was 16 then just I have a Plymouth prog or should i say newspaper when they had a season of newspapers instead of programs and this was when Fulham played at home park and in that team was George Best Alan Mullery Bobby Moore and i have got all there autogaraphs on this . The 1 program i am trying to get is when a jim davison celebrity team with george best in it played a Ian Gillan celebrity team . I had a lot of programs stolen from my mums old house when they had loft insulation put in there the 1966 world cup final a prog my dad got England vs rest of the world with Stanley Matthews autograph but the 1 prog i think would be worth a bit i miss after the munich air disaster i had a prog from the next league match with the man utd team list blank .I Have a prog when Plymouth played at home park vs st etiene in a european match it had to be played on a neutral ground due to crowd trouble in France ,I have so many good games at home park and i am getting withdrawal symptons and may venture up next week to watch Welling in the cup

just dug out the program from that match Darren giggs scored a wonder goal vs Liverpool keeper Mike Hooper final score 2 -1 Man uts giggs and wratten scorers And Liverpools scorer Harkness the teams where Man Utd 1 Walsh 2 smyth 3mccCauley 4Lydiate 5Brazil 6 Carey 7 toal 8 Wratten 9 Graham 10 Sixsmith 11 Giggs 12 mcKee 13 Davies 14 Gordon LIVERPOOL TEAM 1 Hooper 2 Kenny 3 Hollis 4 Godfrey 5 lampkin 6 Hutchison 7 Harkness 8 Collins 9Payne 10 Rosenthal 11 Robinson 12 Tanner 13 Thompson 14 Marsh 15 Jones referee Lester Shapter this was 1991 studio 10 trophy won by Plymouth beating Man utd at St Blazey Plymouth had some team then with the brilliant Dwight Yorke

Ok Mr Cornish - I bow to your knowledge

I also watched the Man Utd - St Ettiene match, saw the tournament at St Blazey,and the Fulham side at Home Park

I also had a ( unsigned ) 1966 World Cup programme

I also had a Man Utd autograph page - a girl at school had Albert Quixall as an uncle

Law , Best Charlton the lot

God knows what happened to them though

Not a programme, but I found this which may prove to be a collector's item: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GODOLPHIN-ATLANTIC-AFC-NON-LEAGUE-BADGE-/171189909544?

Godolphin Atlantic badges, as well as many other clubs from Cornwall, including Trelawny League sides, can be obtained from Terrys Badges - http://www.terrysbadges.co.uk/gen_G.html

In yesterdays Independent it stated St.Blazey and Wadebridge Town are the only Cornish clubs to appear in The F A Cup-F A Trophy-F A Vase and The F A Amateur Cup.

If the Newquay v Bodmin was played 22/09/51 and it was The Amateur cup you can add Bodmin to that list.