Cornwall Football Forum

Unusual Cornish Football Programme

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, still there ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/aw-cgi-/221301876900

I have asked the seller several questions, pointed out the date etc, but no reply for 48 hours. I'm sure that at the price it is at, only serious buyers would be bidding and they must know what they are bidding on. If any of you have a Grandad who collected stuff, there may well be a few old Senior Cup Final progs in storage, up in lofts etc, most folk back in the Pre-60's went to finals, crowds of 6-8-10 thousand were regular on Easter Mondays.

Get looking chaps and chapesses, Xmas could be paid for if you come across the right prog.

That's very true...the Plymouth 1912 was found stuck in a scrapbook that no-one thought had any value until the auctioneer flicked through it.

That one would have paid for Christmas and an Easter egg of three!

Anyone got the St Just v Argyle feast day games I would love to get scans....or buy!

Peter

That's very true...the Plymouth 1912 was found stuck in a scrapbook that no-one thought had any value until the auctioneer flicked through it.

That one would have paid for Christmas and an Easter egg of three!

Anyone got the St Just v Argyle feast day games I would love to get scans....or buy!

Peter

I have had a reply from the seller, make your own minds up...

Good evening, sorry for taking a while to reply - this programme , and all the others I've listed in the past are from the same collection from an elderly gent who's lived here in Bexleyheath all his life - and so had lots of football programmes mainly from Chelsea FC and Charlton. I basically saved them all from being burnt when his house was cleared - as they must have some historical interest to someone.

I do know that his father was from Bere Alston in Devon and he had relatives and extended family in Cornwall, which may explain why there were also quite a few programmes for games in the westcounty, and even a cricket sore card dated 1898 for a match in Truro. Given the date, this programme can only have come from his fathers collection (his father was a 'collector' too) I'm afriad I don't know anything about football myself though!! but the small main text might help explain what this match actually was, so I'll add a transcription of the whole thing , hopefully that might help??

Regards

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have a Truro city program dated sept 13th 1972 when the mighty Arsenal played at Treyew road the score was 6-2 to the Arsenal Liam Brady with a hat trick Frank Stapleton with 1other scorers john mattews and david price in the Truro side the late Ernie Hooper played as well as Terry Askey Truro was skippered that day by Brian Rimes .

i have got his autograph on the program Brian the Truro team that day was 1 salibury 2Adams 3 williams 4 hooper 5 a morris 6 askey 7 rosevear 8 wardle 9rimes 10 durkin 11 k morris subs salmon 12 martin 13 bostick 14 somerville ARSENAL 1 freeman 2 donaldson 3 matthews 4 price 5 mackinnon 6 powling 7 brady 8 hornsby 9 stapleton 10 harding 11 ross 12 o brien 13 davis 14 winstone 15 ambrose ref was Bill Pearce and no it wasnt my old man who was also called bill pearce I also saw a very young Ryan Giggs play at truro on a very foggy night he was 16 then just I have a Plymouth prog or should i say newspaper when they had a season of newspapers instead of programs and this was when Fulham played at home park and in that team was George Best Alan Mullery Bobby Moore and i have got all there autogaraphs on this . The 1 program i am trying to get is when a jim davison celebrity team with george best in it played a Ian Gillan celebrity team . I had a lot of programs stolen from my mums old house when they had loft insulation put in there the 1966 world cup final a prog my dad got England vs rest of the world with Stanley Matthews autograph but the 1 prog i think would be worth a bit i miss after the munich air disaster i had a prog from the next league match with the man utd team list blank .I Have a prog when Plymouth played at home park vs st etiene in a european match it had to be played on a neutral ground due to crowd trouble in France ,I have so many good games at home park and i am getting withdrawal symptons and may venture up next week to watch Welling in the cup

just dug out the program from that match Darren giggs scored a wonder goal vs Liverpool keeper Mike Hooper final score 2 -1 Man uts giggs and wratten scorers And Liverpools scorer Harkness the teams where Man Utd 1 Walsh 2 smyth 3mccCauley 4Lydiate 5Brazil 6 Carey 7 toal 8 Wratten 9 Graham 10 Sixsmith 11 Giggs 12 mcKee 13 Davies 14 Gordon LIVERPOOL TEAM 1 Hooper 2 Kenny 3 Hollis 4 Godfrey 5 lampkin 6 Hutchison 7 Harkness 8 Collins 9Payne 10 Rosenthal 11 Robinson 12 Tanner 13 Thompson 14 Marsh 15 Jones referee Lester Shapter this was 1991 studio 10 trophy won by Plymouth beating Man utd at St Blazey Plymouth had some team then with the brilliant Dwight Yorke

Ok Mr Cornish - I bow to your knowledge

I also watched the Man Utd - St Ettiene match, saw the tournament at St Blazey,and the Fulham side at Home Park

I also had a ( unsigned ) 1966 World Cup programme

I also had a Man Utd autograph page - a girl at school had Albert Quixall as an uncle

Law , Best Charlton the lot

God knows what happened to them though

In yesterdays Independent it stated St.Blazey and Wadebridge Town are the only Cornish clubs to appear in The F A Cup-F A Trophy-F A Vase and The F A Amateur Cup.

If the Newquay v Bodmin was played 22/09/51 and it was The Amateur cup you can add Bodmin to that list.

In yesterdays Independent it stated St.Blazey and Wadebridge Town are the only Cornish clubs to appear in The F A Cup-F A Trophy-F A Vase and The F A Amateur Cup.

If the Newquay v Bodmin was played 22/09/51 and it was The Amateur cup you can add Bodmin to that list.

Newquay must have won that game v Bodmin in 1951 as The Peppermints went out of the FA Amateur Cup 1-5 in a replay with Saltash Utd.

Newquay AFC got to the last 32 of the FA Amateur Cup in 1970-71 season, The Peppermints were just 3 more games from a Wembley final. The FA Trophy is missing from the list for Newquay, now very unlikely unless a sugar daddy comes along.

1st QR Newquay 5 v 0 Wellington

2nd QR Newquay 2 v 0 Saltash Utd

3rd QR Newquay 7 v 0 Torpoint Athletic

4th QR Newquay 2 v 1 Cadbury Heath - Att 1,000+

1st Rd Bracknell 0 v 2 Newquay

2nd Rd Newquay 1 v 7 Oldbury Utd - Att 2,500+

The first tournament in 1893 attracted 81 entrants, with three qualifying rounds used to reduce the number down to 32 for the first round proper. For the following season, the previous season's semi-finalists joined at the first round proper along with other leading clubs chosen by the FA, with the numbers made up by teams progressing through the qualifying rounds. This remained the standard format until 1907, when the number of entrants to the first round was doubled to 64 and the number of rounds prior to the semi-finals increased to four. The competition continued under this format until it was discontinued in 1974 when the FA Trophy and FA Vase were introduced.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not doubting you for a minute my friend, but are you sure Brady got a hat trick ?

He would only have been 16 then, and he didn't make his full debut until October 1973

I was at this game. Still have the programme in good nick. Assume my wife will place it on eBay once I've popped my clogs! Several of the Arsenal lads selected were Youth Team players at the time

A friend has just dug out an old programme from the 1968 European Champion Clubs Cup Final between Benfica and Man Utd played at Wembley.

The Benfica side featured Eusebio and the Utd side featured George Best.

Any idea how much this might fetch and is anyone interested?

Another one I was lucky enough to see! I don't think the programme is that scarce so probably wouldn't fetch a great deal today. Might be worth checking eBay though plus other football programme dealer lists to see what the current going rate is ...

Forget Wembley......

Who can remember back in the "Twin Towers" days, a certain well known ground was officially known as ,,,,,,,

The Empire Stadium,,,,,,

I have come across an old Programme,,,,,,, F.A. Cup Final 4th May 1974 Liverpool v Newcastle Price 15p

This may not sound too unusual, inside, I found my ticket "STUB" Standing Enclosure £1.00

I wander how much the cheapest cup final ticket is today ???

Just to correct myself....It was... and I believe still is known as,,,,,,,

The Football Association Challenge Cup

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Blimey, as some of you know I buy the odd Penzance programme through ebay.

Well i have been watching one for several days, Penzance v Exeter City in the SWL from 1958/59.

It has sat at 99p for 5 days then overnight it has jumped to £16 with a day to go. Out of my price range now.

It is getting harder and harder to buy programmes as the prices in the last year have double at least.

So how many £'s have you got sitting in your attic or in the bottom of your draws.

Anything from the 40's and 50's is getting good money.

If you do flog any, take a scan for me for the club record.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181353244440?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT