Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City v Gosport Borough

probably all untrue, they're scared of truro so will be trying any tactics they can to rattle them.

the return fixture should be interesting, good piss up in gosport too, i work there at the moment.

I played on the gosport main pitch once when playing for the air command in about 2002. it's a big pitch but very uneven with good facilities.

good luck truro.

Well I'm too busy to get there tonight - had to miss Saturday's draw, too - so they'll probably win as I'm not there. But whoops! You know what my predictions were like when I was on Radio Cornwall! The dreadful weather may favour the underdogs as with Histon v Leeds. I haven't even got time to write this, really!

(Darth's gone!)

gosportboroughfc.com

Up to ten key squad members could be missing for next Tuesday's trip to Truro City - a major headache for boss Alex Pike.

With the game a six hour trip away and an overnight stay required after the game, the players will need to take a minimum of a day and a half off work and several of Pike's first team have already declared they are unable to get the leave required.

In total eight first team players are either unable to get the time off work or are extremely doubtful for the game. Strikers Justin Bennett, Lloyd O'Neill and Nathan Lynch, midfielders James Ford, Andy Culliford and Wayne Boud plus defender Andy Puckett are all either unavailable or extremely doubtful.

Pike also has major worries over the goalkeeper's jersey. With Nick Hutchings injured and Mark Brown unable to make the trip to the south west, eighteen year-old reserve/youth team keeper William Robertson could be making his first team debut against the highest scoring team in the league.

The roll call of missing players is completed by Glenn Howes who is out after suffering a groin injury in Saturday's defeat by Bishops Cleeve.

A disappointed Pike said: "I'm not knocking Truro - they have every right to be in the League but it is frustrating that we were originally scheduled to go there on a cup weekend when it was almost certain that either ourselves or Truro would still be involved.

"The Club does not have enough money to reimburse players for taking unpaid leave. From a manager's point of view, it's a shame I can't take my strongest side."

Yes 3-1 to Gosport and afraid to admit it they deserved their win.

Lack of passion from Truro! Should have controlled the game after taking the lead after six minutes or so ... great finish by Andy Watkins after being put in by Shane White.

Not sure what happened to Tom Evans, the latest loan signing ... from Swindon? Travelled down by train, by himself, and substituted after 25 minutes! Tactical switch so that City could try and shut down the Gosport No. 6! Have to say, if that was why, it didn't work!

No passion and too many players who frankly looked as if they didn't want to be out there.

:(

It was surprising that one of the Gosport faithful mentioned that half a dozen of those reported as unavailable actually made the journey to Truro, Gosport were obviously weakened by absentees, I think they only named two subs.

Considering their plight they have to be congratulated on what they achieved.

I wouldn't say the wheels have come off at Truro but they have to take a good hard look at themselves and make up for it on Saturday.

Could tonights dip in attendance have something to do with needing the cash for Christmas or people thinking the game was a walk over because Gosport Borough stated they were going to be ten players short or too warm indoors to venture out into the cold night air.

Who really cares, it's only a game, I expect three points on Saturday and a sore throat come the end.

Dave i was going to ask you and anyone else who was at the game a couple of questions.

You have already half answered them.So to anyone else who watched the game last night,including steve massey, do you think the supporters were right in their barracking certain players last night and do you think some of the players are only there for the ride?

There was also chants of "bring back Lenny" or something similar,does anyone think its a bit early for a change in management and if so who would you bring in?

Personally i dont think some of the players that have been brought in this season,mcconnell and hockley especially,are the best options.Some of those that have been at the club for a three to four years seem to care about the club,ok they still get paid for playing,more than the newer intake.

Also why does mccarthy insist on playing route one when the strikers are much shorter than the opposition defenders?

/

Dave i was going to ask you and anyone else who was at the game a couple of questions.

You have already half answered them.So to anyone else who watched the game last night,including steve massey, do you think the supporters were right in their barracking certain players last night and do you think some of the players are only there for the ride?

There was also chants of "bring back Lenny" or something similar,does anyone think its a bit early for a change in management and if so who would you bring in?

Personally i dont think some of the players that have been brought in this season,mcconnell and hockley especially,are the best options.Some of those that have been at the club for a three to four years seem to care about the club,ok they still get paid for playing,more than the newer intake.

Also why does mccarthy insist on playing route one when the strikers are much shorter than the opposition defenders?

Hockley is an adequate midfielder in this league, nothing more. No way should he be skipper, there's no motivation or leadership coming from him. Jake Ash, Tom Smith and Marcus Martin would each make far more effective captains. Midfield options are now limited with Kevin Wills leaving, and Chris Reski and Matty Bye released. Joe Broad is still nowhere near 100% but is being wheeled out as there's nobody else to replace him.

McConnell, on the other hand, is just a liability - on the pitch AND in the dressing room. He breeds uncertainty amongst the defence and slows the tempo when play is switched as he needs so much time to decide what to do (usually a sideways or backward pass). Ironically, he had his best match on Saturday against North Leigh when pushed up to right mid - and then cost City the win in the last minute. He lost the ball when attacking down the right and instead of chasing back he stood and argued with the lino. They went right down the other end and scored.

The unrest has been building for weeks, last night disgruntled murmurings became more vociferous against both McCarthy and McConnell. Fans pay their money and are entitled to show their feelings.

Who could replace McCarthy? Well, Stuart Gibson's name has been banded about in certain quarters for a couple of weeks now. If he (or ANYONE else) can get City playing high tempo, passing football like the past couple of seasons instead of 'route one' to tiny strikers, then I'm sure he'd be welcome with open arms.

203??!! That's a ridiculous figure considering what Truro have been getting. It's also a big sign that the majority of your fans are glory supporters and will not stick with you if you go through tough times.

I could understand this figure if you were genuinely struggling near the bottom of the table, but the fact is you are still in a play-off place and one of the strong favourites to go up. For over 50% of your fans to not turn up just because you aren't guaranteed a victory is unbelievable.

Undoubtedly you'll come on here and give a whole load of excuses as to where the so called "fans" were and maybe even give me a bit of abuse if I'm lucky. On the Truro issue, I remain, as I always have done neutral. If it'll be a good thing overall for football in Cornwall, I'll show my support. But I think you learned far more than you wanted to about your "fans" at this game. Fickle is not the word.

Guest football mad

Some form truro city are on !!! Rumour has it Jake ash and yetton and a bust up afterwards resulting in yetton saying he has had enough of this and aint coming back

Guest hammer3

I think some people seem to be forgetting that this league was never going to be a walk over. Replace Mcarthy? what on earth for? He seems to be doing well in my opinion, every team has a wobble in the season and Truro are having theirs now. We all know how much confidence makes a difference in football and they are just lacking a bit at present, judge the team and the manager at the end of the season, not now.

and as for attendance figures...... Christmas? Credit crunch?

it may only be £6 but £6 is alot of money if you havnt got it and most people have alot of other things to think about at the moment, not just Truro City.

203??!! That's a ridiculous figure considering what Truro have been getting. It's also a big sign that the majority of your fans are glory supporters and will not stick with you if you go through tough times.

I could understand this figure if you were genuinely struggling near the bottom of the table, but the fact is you are still in a play-off place and one of the strong favourites to go up. For over 50% of your fans to not turn up just because you aren't guaranteed a victory is unbelievable.

Undoubtedly you'll come on here and give a whole load of excuses as to where the so called "fans" were and maybe even give me a bit of abuse if I'm lucky. On the Truro issue, I remain, as I always have done neutral. If it'll be a good thing overall for football in Cornwall, I'll show my support. But I think you learned far more than you wanted to about your "fans" at this game. Fickle is not the word.

so you still get the same size gates,as when you had a good side,dont think so :smiley20:

Dan Blazey is going to be busy if he writes about every team with falling gates on the lead up to Christmas.

Recently Windsor followed a gate of 431 with one of just 91

AFC Totton Highest gate 508 Average 303 0nly had 198 for their TOP OF THE TABLE clash with Windsor on Tuesday just 40 above their lowest so far that was LESS than Truro.

Dan it may have escaped your notice, Truro City had the highest attendance in the league on Tuesday.

Considering Truro have only WON THREE league games from the last TEN, those supporting the team should be applauded, in between the league games there were also cup defeats. Hardly the actions of fine weather supporters.

Saturday gates are always better, more children who do not have school the following day.

You have to say that 203 is still poor when you look at what Truro have achieved in recent years. St Blazey have struggled with crowds this season but thats due to the new league as much as anything. Poor or no away fans and no decent local games hasnt helped. You do have to wonder if the hardy 200 who will stick with Truro what ever league their in will ever increase. If they were ever to struggle in a big way in months or years to come, then would these people stick around? Anyone have a view on this?

Whats all this stupid talk of Truro's gates falling when most Saturdays the gates are over 400.Just think back to the weather that we had last Tuesday and I think that will answer your question.It rained all afternoon and right through the evening.As most will know Treyew Rd is only covered partly against the elements on one side of the pitch and no way does that give cover to 400 plus spectators.I think that should answer your question,if not watch the gates for the next month or so and then make a judgement instead of just picking out one midweek game.

There go the excuses!

Last I heard football was an all weather game. As for a Christmas slump, it's something I've never experienced (on the contrary, I think our attendances go up around Christmas!). Credit crunch? For premiership prices I could understand it, not at step 4. Fickle I tellz ya!

Yep, will wait for next month. If you carry on with a dodgy run you'll continue to see 200 (or less) through the gate. Start winning every game again and you'll see 4 or 500 per match. That's the nature of your support - people who know they're going to "watch their team win", people who only want to be associated with success, i.e. glory supporters.

Because you were seeing 50 or 60 through the gate just 4 or 5 years ago, the vast majority of people who watch TCFC have no real association or history with the club. Mark my words, if you drop back down the leagues, or even if you stay where you are for a few seasons, your attendances will drop back down to these figures.

To reiterate, it's not an attack on TCFC, just a commentary on the hoards of people who jump on the success bandwagon. We, at St Blazey know too well the effects of the glory supporter (we've lost plenty of fans to Truro for a start - and by the way, I bet those "fans" we lost to Truro didn't show up against Gosport either!) with attendances dropping severely since the days we were at the top of the Cornish football tree.

Get behind your team, not just the one who is winning!

Some form truro city are on !!! Rumour has it Jake ash and yetton and a bust up afterwards resulting in yetton saying he has had enough of this and aint coming back

Instead of dealing in rumours, why dont you deal in facts!!Stewart Yetton will be at saturdays game and every other game this season unless injury, suspension prevents him from doing so...FACT!!

Guest hammer3

i have to admit, I am indeed a "glory hunter", being a West Ham boy...coming from West Ham.

I follow Truro because i live here, simple as.

how many people from the southwest support Man u, Gooners, Liverpool and now Chelsea? thats your glory hunters.

Were just asking a question. Dont get so defensive!! :lol:

OK so were just asking a question,and I just gave you a sensible answer.not being defensive just stating a fact of life.If you cant see that bucketing rain and lack of cover makes a difference to those who go to watch a football match you must have your head in the clouds.

Anyhow as I said,lets watch the gates for a while yet and see what happens.I may even remind you,just in case you forget.

Quoted on this website last week by myself with regards to the post match analysis from the Bridgewater game, Truro City were a better side under Dave Leonard He had a positive attitude with the players and the players in return wanted to play for Dave and Truro City. The recent Truro City do not want to play football at the Moment and Mr McCarthy is not management material, The football was better last year and so was the atmosphere amongst the team and fans, They have lost better quality players then what they have brought in and this reflects a lot on the management with regards to there talent spotting and coaching skills, they do not have the players in depth and as for resting players for mediocre games i find that somewhat negative as fans and football supporters pay to see a decent game and a good result, a good win under the teams belt could build rapport and confidence which they are lacking in abundance at the moment. I cant see Truro City getting promoted this season as i think there are issues on and off the pitch that need to be rectified sooner rather than later and if certain players re going to throw there teddies out of the pram when thinks go a bit sour then that really is poor.

Dan Bailey,

You mention YOUR experience of attendances around the Christmas period, that experience is questionable if you believe they only go up, normally attendances dip from early December for those games leading up to Christmas, the surge if we can call it that are for the festive games, Boxing Day through New Year.

As for fickle fans, EVERY club has them, right through the Pyramid to the Premiership, every week you see large empty seats at Football League, Championship and many Premiership grounds, that's life.

I think it is bad manners when those loyal City fans who turn up to support their team are chastised on these boards, on your own admission St Blazey have had plenty of those over the years, I think the saying 'people in glass houses etc.' rules the day here.

Those 203 supporters who braved the elements on Tuesday night should be applauded. I know I shall see/meet quite a number of them at Bracknell on Saturday.

Cornish football would be a lot better off if people who pretend to love the sport showed some respect for those who attend matches, albeit some on a casual basis, rather than slag them off, which may create a situation whereby they think "sod it, I shant bother anymore".

You have to say that 203 is still poor when you look at what Truro have achieved in recent years. St Blazey have struggled with crowds this season but thats due to the new league as much as anything. Poor or no away fans and no decent local games hasnt helped. You do have to wonder if the hardy 200 who will stick with Truro what ever league their in will ever increase. If they were ever to struggle in a big way in months or years to come, then would these people stick around? Anyone have a view on this?

atleast paul admits that your crowds are down,and in your view yoy havenot a bad side { yeah right} so i should have said not a great side like won the title yr on yr :clapper: