CORNWALL COUNTY FA INTERMEDIATE CUP - KICK-OFF 2.00PM

Saltash Borough      3-0      Saltash United

EVELY CUP 3RD ROUND - KICK OFF 2.30PM

Boscastle      1-6      St. Newlyn East

Perranwell       P-P      Praze

Wadebridge Town      5-2      Lifton

West Cornwall      0-1      RNAS Culdrose

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - SATURDAY, 16TH MARCH, 2024

St Agnes lost 5-0 to mullion, Aggie were the more likely to score in the opening exchanges. But failed to use the abundance of pace up front to any worthwhile advantage. Some speculative efforts beat stand in keeper and manager Rhydian Purnell who did his best on what was a tough afternoon for him. Older statesman Dan Otoole completely dominated the mullion left winger in the first half and continued to impress in the second half. Dan Kim had another solid game in the middle of the park. Logan Capeling was impressive in everything he did again. Sadly mullion made the most of their opportunities and deservedly took all the points. A special word for Harvey Andrew’s who left clifden park with a broken leg. But then the ref Ian Roberts said he is known for diving so this unfortunate incident didn’t result in a deserving penalty. 

6 minutes ago, Byron10 said:

Saltash borough needing a southern league and SWPL player to get them into the semi finals of the cup 🤦‍♂️ 

At least they’re old boys of Borough aren’t they, who also have a strong connection with the Ashes too!

11 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

At least they’re old boys of Borough aren’t they, who also have a strong connection with the Ashes too!

Just a shambles to be honest 😂 have no issues with teams using within the club like liskeard have been doing and obviously we do as and when needed as that’s how good clubs work. Those players that featured today probably won’t even play in the next cup game or final due to ineligibility, pathetic. 

17 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Dave, notice how that muppet hasn't mentioned Utd had a couple in today too, or that we've had to face Western League & SWPL players regularly in the past - but never complained. 

He also didn't mention that Reece didn't play at all first half, I played my youngsters and we went in half time 1-0 up! 

He obviously is fine when they do it but doesn't like it the other way round - I've said many times I'd be more than happy to scrap dual registrations but now got to the point where I think to myself other teams do it regularly so why shouldn't we if we need to. 

Reece played all his youth for me then started adult football with us at 16 and always said he wanted to play for me again and we were struggling today with a lot of injuries so why not? I can tell you this, they definitely would've used him if he'd been available for them... 

I mean if one man can beat a full team of 11 in only 45 mins as he's suggesting maybe he should be directing criticism elsewhere... 

11 minutes ago, Byron10 said:

Just a shambles to be honest 😂 have no issues with teams using within the club like liskeard have been doing and obviously we do as and when needed as that’s how good clubs work. Those players that featured today probably won’t even play in the next cup game or final due to ineligibility, pathetic. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh dear someone's not happy....

Maybe you ought to check the past records cos a lot of lads you've used didn't come from within the club... 

Who did saltash have in then that isn’t from the first team or doesn’t normally play for them? I can’t see the team sheets so I’ve gone off your own Twitter updates 

don’t care if you haven’t complained to be honest, not the point I’m making. 

ideal Reece played second half then, forgot games get won after 45, my bad. 
Hes always wanted to play for you again but it just so happens that the first game is a cup semi final 🤷‍♂️ 

last statement is incorrect but good try. 

would rather you just came on here and were honest 😂 just say the only way you could have won this was with help from other players from higher leagues and that’s exactly what we did instead of the all the other bollocks. 

8 minutes ago, Byron10 said:

Who did saltash have in then that isn’t from the first team or doesn’t normally play for them? I can’t see the team sheets so I’ve gone off your own Twitter updates 

Hes always wanted to play for you again but it just so happens that the first game is a cup semi final 🤷‍♂️ 

would rather you just came on here and were honest 😂 just say the only way you could have won this was with help from other players from higher leagues and that’s exactly what we did instead of the all the other bollocks. 

What part isn't honest? 

Have I denied using him? Must have missed that... 

Everything I said is true. We haven't played a higher level player for three years until last week, I was more than confident we could win this morning before he spoke to me - I haven't used one higher level player for any of our success these past few seasons when we've constantly come up against teams that have used them against us - including you, so why shouldn't I use one or two when I'm struggling for players? Especially when they started with me? 

Are you saying you can do it, other teams can do it but we're not allowed? 

I tell you what, If you can promise never to use a higher level player again at St Piran level then I'll do the same - how about that? 

20 minutes ago, Byron10 said:

100% agree with this 2 players who scored today for them don’t even play for them one plays for Callington 1st team & one plays for parkway 1st team 🙈

I’m guessing no rules were broken? If you have the ability to raise your sides level and you use it then surely that’s part of the game? 
we had an issue where players wheee signed in the day and the senior rule was thrown out because of the weather. 

5 minutes ago, Kvmccan said:

I tell you what, If you can promise never to use a higher level player again at St Piran level then I'll do the same - how about that? 

You won’t tell me anything Kev thanks. You can’t understand what I’m saying and that’s absolutely fine, obviously alot for you so I’ll leave it at that. 

Just now, r_and_l said:

I’m guessing no rules were broken? If you have the ability to raise your sides level and you use it then surely that’s part of the game? 
we had an issue where players wheee signed in the day and the senior rule was thrown out because of the weather. 

We didn't break any rules no, 

Like I said they don't seem to mind when their teams do it regularly but have a massive problem when we're have. 

Moaning about a SWPL player playing that was with us last season when they have used not just SWPL players but Western League ones too (I'm not talking about Saltash Utd now but their clubs) is very hypocritical. 

A lot of teams have used higher level players in this league all season but for some reason we use a couple and we're there worst in the world?

We won the league twice not using one higher level player at all in any game but constantly came up against test that did yet nothing is said - this season it's been the same so I've just thought these last couple of weeks, bollocks I'll do the same if I need to - why not? 

They won't come on here and praise us when we don't use them, they won't come on here and criticise their own clubs or other clubs when they do use them but they are quick to criticise us - why's that? 

In the last three seasons I've now used one higher level player against Torpoint a couple of weeks ago (my player from last season Joe Preece), one last week (Henry Bunning, again my player from last season) and Henry & Reece today (both my ex players) and that's it in three years. 

I wonder how many they've used in three years? I doubt they'll say.. 

1 minute ago, Byron10 said:

You won’t tell me anything Kev thanks. You can’t understand what I’m saying and that’s absolutely fine, obviously alot for you so I’ll leave it at that. 

😂

1 minute ago, Kvmccan said:

We didn't break any rules no, 

Like I said they don't seem to mind when their teams do it regularly but have a massive problem when we're have. 

Moaning about a SWPL player playing that was with us last season when they have used not just SWPL players but Western League ones too (I'm not talking about Saltash Utd now but their clubs) is very hypocritical. 

A lot of teams have used higher level players in this league all season but for some reason we use a couple and we're there worst in the world?

We won the league twice not using one higher level player at all in any game but constantly came up against test that did yet nothing is said - this season it's been the same so I've just thought these last couple of weeks, bollocks I'll do the same if I need to - why not? 

They won't come on here and praise us when we don't use them, they won't come on here and criticise their own clubs or other clubs when they do use them but they are quick to criticise us - why's that? 

In the last three seasons I've now used one higher level player against Torpoint a couple of weeks ago (my player from last season Joe Preece), one last week (Henry Bunning, again my player from last season) and Henry & Reece today (both my ex players) and that's it in three years. 

I wonder how many they've used in three years? I doubt they'll say.. 

Answer me this if you didn’t use those 2 players today from higher leagues one quite a lot higher would you have won? As both contributed to you going through & will you be using them in the semi and final if you get there or just a one off ?

2 minutes ago, Byron10 said:

Oh I understand what you're saying alright and no it's not a lot for me , you're happy to do it but don't like us doing it 

3 minutes ago, Dwyane Pipe said:

😂

Answer me this if you didn’t use those 2 players today from higher leagues one quite a lot higher would you have won? As both contributed to you going through & will you be using them in the semi and final if you get there or just a one off ?

Why wouldn't we have won? I didn't know either wanted to play this morning - like I've said, before this month I haven't used higher level league players in three years but most of my team from last year have either prioritised work or gone up a league or two off the back of what they achieved with us and we've got a big injury list. 

2 players on the bench today were not fit so yes I used them just like EVERY other team has done regularly - why haven't you ever called them out? 

If I have players back then they'll come first that's how I've always done it but are you saying if you were in my position today you wouldn't have used them? Course you would've. 

I've actually had Reece available twice before this season for two very big games but told him I wasn't going to play him and used the 16 year old lads that are in their first season of adult football - as I have had Joe & Henry available but if my regular lads are available they play - but now I've told you that will anyone bang on about whether I've done the right thing? No they won't - but we will continue to come up against teams that do it to us and don't get criticised. 

I'm fed up with teams doing it to us just because we won the league - but we're a completely different team this year and I have still refused to use them. I needed players today simple as that and when they contacted me I thought bollocks why not so I used them just like every other team has done and would've done. 

Both are eligible and will probably be available for the semi final yes but as anyone who knows me will tell you, if I have some more regular players back from injury I won't use them, if I don't haven't players back then yes I will - because every other manager would do the same. 

We've gone out of more than one cup in the last few years to teams that have had two western league lads playing and on one occasion with more than that because the weather had cancelled out the 21 day rule allowing more than two but don't remember anyone criticising those teams... 

7 hours ago, Kvmccan said:

Why wouldn't we have won? I didn't know either wanted to play this morning - like I've said, before this month I haven't used higher level league players in three years but most of my team from last year have either prioritised work or gone up a league or two off the back of what they achieved with us and we've got a big injury list. 

2 players on the bench today were not fit so yes I used them just like EVERY other team has done regularly - why haven't you ever called them out? 

If I have players back then they'll come first that's how I've always done it but are you saying if you were in my position today you wouldn't have used them? Course you would've. 

I've actually had Reece available twice before this season for two very big games but told him I wasn't going to play him and used the 16 year old lads that are in their first season of adult football - as I have had Joe & Henry available but if my regular lads are available they play - but now I've told you that will anyone bang on about whether I've done the right thing? No they won't - but we will continue to come up against teams that do it to us and don't get criticised. 

I'm fed up with teams doing it to us just because we won the league - but we're a completely different team this year and I have still refused to use them. I needed players today simple as that and when they contacted me I thought bollocks why not so I used them just like every other team has done and would've done. 

Both are eligible and will probably be available for the semi final yes but as anyone who knows me will tell you, if I have some more regular players back from injury I won't use them, if I don't haven't players back then yes I will - because every other manager would do the same. 

We've gone out of more than one cup in the last few years to teams that have had two western league lads playing and on one occasion with more than that because the weather had cancelled out the 21 day rule allowing more than two but don't remember anyone criticising those teams... 

Decent enough reply but football is a matter of opinions I guess and just think calling Reece in regardless if hes “ local, played for me when he was 16 bla bla “ plays 4/5 leagues higher than St Piran is just a little over the top in my opinion and ruins the game a little and I’ve heard from mates who were watching he played whole 2nd half and contributed quite a bit which would 100% have an impact on the result. Good luck in the Semi & hopefully Hayle beat you 👍🏻

All within the rules of the game/competition so no complaints surely (I actually think Borough have submitted a potential rule change which I will support for the coming seasons reading senior players from outside of a Club)? I did laugh as Henry and Reece are both signed for Saltash United in the Western League so there could've been the possibility to sign them across the Club when they were with them full time earlier in the season.

Congratulations Kev, possibly more silverware this season. Obviously doing something right at Borough. 

1 hour ago, Luke Gibbons said:

All within the rule of the game so no complaints surely? I did laugh as Henry and Reece are both signed for Saltash United in the Western League so there could've been the possibility to sign them across the Club when they were with them full time earlier in the season.

Congratulations Kev, possibly more silverware this season. Obviously doing something right at Borough. 

Thank you Luke, yes they both are, in fact Utd have used Reece a couple of times since his move (meaning they used a player two levels higher) but neither of them had a problem with that....

Strange thing is they keep saying we couldn't have beaten Saltash without his 45 minute appearance (where he did play well yes but the whole team were much better after half time and were just as much - a few lads even more responsible for the win) yet when you beat the better more dominant team in this league this season St Dominick in the previous round without using any higher level players (yes I had availability then too but didn't bring them in as I didn't have the injuries I had yesterday) they don't say anything? - I had players in their first season of adult football playing in that match  but no positive comments came our way then - looking at previous posts and from what I've now been told that pair just seem to like coming on here slagging off other teams from behind a keyboard but never commenting the other way. I'm presuming both must've there yesterday as they seem to know so much about how the game went and who played well etc yet neither put these comments to me in person - which I'm told they never seem to do but I'm more than happy to carry the conversation on face to face next time they're at one of our games. 

We've constantly refused over the years to use higher level players - sometimes losing big games as the opposition have, but not once has either of them come on here and criticised our opponents for doing it and praising us for not so yes football is about opinions as one of them said but surely you must then have an opinion when we beat strong teams with young players? 

If neither of their clubs have ever used higher level players then of course they can judge but we all know they have so are they criticising the whole system (which I have many times by the way) or just us for getting fed up with eveyone else doing it so deciding to use it this time? 

I appreciate your post Luke, thank you 

Christ I nearly fell asleep reading that long essay just admit it you had players on the bench yesterday that weren’t all injured and you played players that don’t play for you because of the hammering you took previously at your place against them? Stop with the nonsense - Up the Hayle 

St Day 2-2 Porthleven 

Fair result in the end Port definitely edged the first half with the wind slightly in there favour , thought considering the conditions of the pitch which also had an under 14s game played earlier on it just how good it held up excellent job by the ground staff.

Port probably, no definitely unlucky not to be leading by a goal at half time but 0-0 it was .

Second half started brightly enough for the Saints who scored from a decent corner  for a flick on for Sam Buckley ( I swear I heard him say feed the bear 🐻 and I will score 🤣🤣) Bear he’s more of a stick insect 🐜 🤣🤣
Goal for Sam all the same though 

St Day 1-0

Port should of dropped there heads shouldn’t they 😳 St Day league leaders unbeaten , not a chance with Port straight out the blocks & still threatening St Days  goal they not only deserved the equaliser they then went in front & with 10 or so left St Day for the first time looked a little vulnerable.

A nice shot made a great save from the Port keeper with maybe 5 mins left & the resulting corner very well placed again resulted in Saints equaliser & I personally think a draw in the end was a fair result .

Not sure when Port last played but Saints needed to play after a 4-5 weeks absence &  it showed .

Two games with Porthleven two 2-2 draws & on both occasions about the right result .

In my opinion Port definitely got some quality younger players in that team & id like to see them finish the season well.

On 17/03/2024 at 08:48, Kvmccan said:

Thank you Luke, yes they both are, in fact Utd have used Reece a couple of times since his move (meaning they used a player two levels higher) but neither of them had a problem with that....

Strange thing is they keep saying we couldn't have beaten Saltash without his 45 minute appearance (where he did play well yes but the whole team were much better after half time and were just as much - a few lads even more responsible for the win) yet when you beat the better more dominant team in this league this season St Dominick in the previous round without using any higher level players (yes I had availability then too but didn't bring them in as I didn't have the injuries I had yesterday) they don't say anything? - I had players in their first season of adult football playing in that match  but no positive comments came our way then - looking at previous posts and from what I've now been told that pair just seem to like coming on here slagging off other teams from behind a keyboard but never commenting the other way. I'm presuming both must've there yesterday as they seem to know so much about how the game went and who played well etc yet neither put these comments to me in person - which I'm told they never seem to do but I'm more than happy to carry the conversation on face to face next time they're at one of our games. 

We've constantly refused over the years to use higher level players - sometimes losing big games as the opposition have, but not once has either of them come on here and criticised our opponents for doing it and praising us for not so yes football is about opinions as one of them said but surely you must then have an opinion when we beat strong teams with young players? 

If neither of their clubs have ever used higher level players then of course they can judge but we all know they have so are they criticising the whole system (which I have many times by the way) or just us for getting fed up with eveyone else doing it so deciding to use it this time? 

I appreciate your post Luke, thank you 

Funny thing about it I watch the other keep and they had Ryan knight I swear he plays for a SWPL team ? Could be wrong but I am sure it’s dobwalls and I am sure they played Ben Walters the other week and I think he is now playing for Holsworthy? 

Every team/manager does it because they want to win. Any Manager that tells you they bring players in from a higher league for any other reason than wanting to win a football game is not being honest.

Winning football matches is what it's all about, none of this giving players a run-out, one club, injury crisis rubbish, players that play higher are brought in for one reason, to win games.

Until a rule is brought in whereby players can only play for one club, it has to be accepted and people have to deal with it.

Callington 3 - 1 North Petherwin

Petherwin Scorer: Sanders 85th Min

Agreed to play on the 3G in Callington with earlier KO of 12.15 to get a game on vs having another week off, great decision that 😂

Game started pretty even with both teams adjusting to the smaller 3G and surface. Unfortunately for us we lost two players in quick succession to injury from the 20th - 30th minute in Westlake and skipper Reeve both with big presence in the air and physicality. From here Callington became dominant especially with Rhys Lindsell puling the strings in midfield and in the introduction of 1st team striker Kev McCallion whos physicality and experience helped the other youthful forwards. We had a good chance just before halftime when Sanders was put through on goal but he didn't really test the keeper as he hit it straight at him from 15 yards. ht 0-0.

Second half and we just didn't turn up until the last 15mins, we were second to everything, not calm on the ball and the young Callington team grew in confidence and took a deserved lead.  we went on to concede 3 and to be honest all of them we defended poorly for and were just to easy to beat. 

We rallied and put Callington under pressure for the last 15mins but simply gave ourselves to much to do. Sanders rounded the keeper for our only goal after some nice play in the midfield he then went on to hit the cross bar shortly after but the ball bounced the wrong side of the line. 

Callington deserved the 3 points based on the 2nd half display. Rhys Lindsell impressed me a lot and can see why at a young age is playing with their 1s and is a player to watch out for over the next few years. 

11 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Every team/manager does it because they want to win. Any Manager that tells you they bring players in from a higher league for any other reason than wanting to win a football game is not being honest.

Winning football matches is what it's all about, none of this giving players a run-out, one club, injury crisis rubbish, players that play higher are brought in for one reason, to win games.

Until a rule is brought in whereby players can only play for one club, it has to be accepted and people have to deal with it.

Winning is totally the main reason why teams play senior players. you can gloss it over with bring young players on etc. but surely a club would gradually advance players and give game time higher up. I understand that clubs with more than one team might use a 2nd team to bring a player back from injury but let’s be honest. Clubs that have multiple teams take advantage of the rules and play senior players to win games and secure their team in that division. St Colomb and Looe (my team) both were punished by senior players playing in their recent games against Liskeard. Both our Looe games were lost (5-1 & 9-2) and a total 14 goal scored against us, 10 came from senior players. I will add that Liskeard have done nothing wrong as its with in the rules but is it fair, personally i don't think so. 

Our position in the league isn't down to Liskeard, that's down to us and our performances this season. But when you have a team who's morale is low and then they know senior players are playing, their heads drop. We're trying our best to motivate the lads to turn up and play but losing so heavily is a kick in the teeth. I'd imagine St Colomb losing 13-2 will have a massive impact on that team. I know they are trying to rebuild and keep the club going and a result like that doesn't help. 

anyhow, this is purely my own opinion and i doubt it will make any difference or bring any changes to the rules.

Nothing wrong with it within the rules. Not much wrong with it in isolation, IE someone returning from injury or a case of unavailability within the squad that particular game. However, Liskeard have 24pts, with only 4pts coming without a 1st Team player involved. That's where the "fairness" can be questioned as they may be in a relegation scrap without them, with recent scalps against Looe, Roche and St Columb possibly pivotal, neither of which have the same luxury. 

But if I was Liskeard, I wouldn't care much either. They have lads like Max and Ben who have played across all their sides for years and clearly love the club and the game. Huge assets from leading players. 

The side of the fence you sit on is individual to your own club's circumstance.

2 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Nothing wrong with it within the rules. Not much wrong with it in isolation, IE someone returning from injury or a case of unavailability within the squad that particular game. However, Liskeard have 24pts, with only 4pts coming without a 1st Team player involved. That's where the "fairness" can be questioned as they may be in a relegation scrap without them, with recent scalps against Looe, Roche and St Columb possibly pivotal, neither of which have the same luxury. 

But if I was Liskeard, I wouldn't care much either. They have lads like Max and Ben who have played across all their sides for years and clearly love the club and the game. Huge assets from leading players. 

The side of the fence you sit on is individual to your own club's circumstance.

I think the weather has intensified things and maybe that needs addressing in the rules. Liskeard are trying to win the SWPL so getting minutes into legs of players who will be driving this is important and why they have a second team as well. With that though they will also need to balance those 2nd team players making way and potential consequences. 

With the push of playing for 1 team in St Pirans its making things difficult for the smaller clubs. I have a horrible feeling the continued move towards this will impact many more further. 

On 17/03/2024 at 07:03, Luke Gibbons said:

All within the rules of the game/competition so no complaints surely (I actually think Borough have submitted a potential rule change which I will support for the coming seasons reading senior players from outside of a Club)? I did laugh as Henry and Reece are both signed for Saltash United in the Western League so there could've been the possibility to sign them across the Club when they were with them full time earlier in the season.

I think we need to becareful here, for example why shouldn't a senior player who plays for a club with one team be allowed to play elsewhere, all of this is designed to make the bigger clubs better and stronger. 

if that's the case why dont we just create a reserve league

Edited by The Badger
unneeded word which caused confusion

18 minutes ago, The Badger said:

I think the weather has intensified things and maybe that needs addressing in the rules. Liskeard are trying to win the SWPL so getting minutes into legs of players who will be driving this is important and why they have a second team as well. With that though they will also need to balance those 2nd team players making way and potential consequences. 

With the push of playing for 1 team in St Pirans its making things difficult for the smaller clubs. I have a horrible feeling the continued move towards this will impact many more further. 

Totally agree, our first team are involved in a title race, and having a 56 day gap between games isn’t ideal. Nobodies fault, but not ideal, hopefully it’s not the sign of things to come, I’m hoping this winter is unprecedented, but who knows? Our youngsters totally understand, they’ve all thoroughly enjoyed being able to play alongside our First team players, who have also been superb with their encouragement and talking on the pitch. As Callum said above in this thread, they just want to help the club move forward, Max,Ben etc have all been offered to play higher this season but i think they also appreciate the young talent we have and are happy to play with them and personally its really shown what a great captain and role model Max has become this season.

If you look at every team in this league apart from a couple they all use SWPL players, the difference between them and liskeard, we aren’t playing any players who play for a different SWPL team YET. 

also the funny thing about it is the teams crying about it are the ones that do it aswell.

Same as boscastle the other night crying about it but have done the same this season and had a SWPL playing against us, same as when we played Polperro in a friendly the other week because cam Paterson and Jayden Gilbert haven’t played for a while they played them as they wanted minutes  and it was nice to see our young players challenging better players. 

I am sure when we play Nanpean on Saturday they will have a couple so what that’s football. 

stop crying. Well done to Saltash Borough BTW great win, saltash crying about Reece and Henry but play Ben Walters and Ryan Knight who I believe are at Holsworthy and dobwalls ? 

IMG_9288.png