SATURDAY 30 DECEMBER 2023            

Bridgwater United        0-1      Clevedon Town

Buckland Athletic          0-1     Barnstaple Town

Helston Athletic             4-0     Torpoint Athletic

Millbrook             0-4         Falmouth Town

Oldland Abbotonians    P-P   Shepton Mallet

St Blazey      P-P     Brixham

Street    P-P       Wellington

• Dave Deacon changed the title to FIXTURES - Friday 29 & Saturday 30 December 2023

Regarding pitches, was planning to travel to watch Truro City at Plymouth Parkway on Saturday but match already postponed. This isn’t first postponement at Bilitho this season, in fact probably had more than any other South West club.

What is wrong with this pitch ? 

11 hours ago, Leroy said:

Regarding pitches, was planning to travel to watch Truro City at Plymouth Parkway on Saturday but match already postponed. This isn’t first postponement at Bilitho this season, in fact probably had more than any other South West club.

What is wrong with this pitch ? 

It has 2 teams on it.  And it not really good enough to support 2 teams.  Why it’s always postponed to try and give it chance. 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Friday 29 & Saturday 30 December 2023
6 minutes ago, mattelot said:

The social media campaign towards torquay utd fans had the desired effect then Jim?

Yes, seemed to. There were loads Gulls fans dotted around the ground and sat near me in the grandstand. Bar was very busy as was the tea/food kiosk. Club certainly made a few extra quid today so well done on the initiative. 

Weirdly I spent all this morning and parts of this afternoon looking at Risborough Rangers ground for personal reasons (ex Hellenic now CoCo) but given the rain it was off. Else I'd have been there. 

What's very very clear, geography plays a massive part of the pyramid in that area (bucks and oxon border). All so flipping close - its almost like making Dobwalls and Looe step 4 clubs in terms of size of location. 

Having lived in Manchester I get it there, but it's like East Cornwall size and town size wise and there's step 3/4 everywhere. 

Sucks down here sometimes. 

Helston 4, Torpoint 0

Arriving at the ground about 40 minutes before kick-off, with it raining heavily and blowing a hooley, I must admit I wouldn’t have been surprised if this game didn’t go ahead. My fear was that the conditions wouldn’t allow much football to be watched, but I was pleasantly surprised with how the two teams adjusted.

Helston, with the wind behind them, kept patient in their build up, not being tempted to shoot from distance. Their breakthrough came just before midway through the first 45 with an unstoppable effort from a lively Sam Carter.

Six minutes later Carter was involved again with his cross being headed home by defender Jordan Bentley and the Blues went in at the break three up thanks to another Bentley header. This time heading home a Tom Payne corner.

The start of the second half saw the rain actually stopping for a while with the wind also not so fierce. Torpoint had their chances to get on the scoresheet but for once ace marksman Ryan Richards drew a blank! 

The damage was done by Helston in the first half, but Curtis Damerell made sure of the three points with a late 86th minute goal against his former club.

The official man of the match went to Damerell, whereas I think I would have given it to Carter!

Matt Cusack’s side go into 2024 in second place in the table, four points behind leaders Clevedon having played the same number of games. The teams meet in North Somerset in two weeks time. That’s after Helston play at Barnstaple, another promotion seeking side, next Saturday!