Cornwall Football Forum

FIXTURES - SATURDAY, 4TH MARCH, 2023

St day 0-3 Hayle 

As the manager of hayle I have to say this was our best performance to date. Boys were excellent for the full 90mins. 

St day just had a week off this week. I am sure they will have a huge say in where the title ends up! Good bunch of boys and management. 

Very complementary of my lads yesterday which is nice to see. A respect between two sides which we didn’t get last weekend up at Truro Res. 

Good luck for the rest of the season to everyone at St day! 

Gunnislake 0-1 St Dominick

Similar to the cup game played just a few weeks ago, this wasn’t a game for the football purists. 

chances were limited in the game, and gunnislake were forced into some early changes with Southcott, rodukov, and beman all being forced off in the first half due to injuries. 

St dominick failed to capitalise on the frailties of the gunnislake changes and the best chance of the first half saw Callum brown lift over the bar from close range. 

second half didn’t get much better and both teams huffed and puffed without much reward until a prescott burst from midfield saw him skip past one challenge and then fouled in the box by Jamie Rowlands, the referee had no option but to award the away side a penalty, up stepped a composed Harvey Barrett who calmly rifled home the penalty, gunnislake then naturally piled on the pressure for the final 10 minutes with lots of crosses without really troubling the sturdy St Dom back line. 

A first home defeat of the season in the league for gunni at the hands of their local rivals in front of a healthy crowd. St dominick still currently sit 5th in the league having played a fair fewer games than the teams above. 

MOM went to the st Dom skipper Ryan corey

Mullion 2 - 3   Mousehole  Devs

Scoreline doesn’t really do Mousehole justice as they were by far the better team but as you see so many times if you don’t take your chances you are always at risk. We limited Mullion to very few chances, think their second goal midway through the second half may have been their second shot lol. The only goal that ended up separating the teams in the end was an own goal by Mullion CB. 
Shooting practice on the agenda this week at training, all the best to Mullion for rest of the season, big strong side who a lot will struggle against and young Toby in goal was superb 👍

Torpoint Reserves 7-1 Launceston Reserves

Coming off of back to back wins and clean sheets, we were hopeful that we'd be able to continue both runs welcoming Launceston to The Mill. The reverse fixture was mine and Ian's first game back with the group with the points being shared. Since, we've improved in areas and Launceston have picked up another good point away to Altarnun.

We started the game brightly moving the ball around as we've wanted to, Taylor and Payn integral to all movement with Larsen seeing plenty of the ball and Robbins dictating deep. Before the game was 10 mins old, we'd already created 2 clear chances with the aforementioned Payn and Larsen unable to find the net. This was soon rectified by the cool head of Small to stop the ball inside the area and slot past the visitors stand in keeper (*side note, I was looking forward to seeing Ty Rowe in the visitors goal, a top keeper and I'm sure a Step6 side will be knocking again soon). We were unable to make our dominance count, more chances feel to Larsen, Manuel and Taylor but not enough was done to test the keeper. Launceston, undeterred by the Torpoint onslaught found their way back into the game when the ball dropped to skipper Wearing 25yards out. After a touch to set, he lashed the ball off of the underside of the bar catching England unaware. Wheeling away with a shocked look on his face, I'm not sure he's scored many as good as that. We were able to get our noses in-front just before HT with Larsen converting 1 of his 6(ish) first half chances at the back stick.

HT 2-1, hoping to see much of the same second half but with the hope we'd take our chances and not let Launceston back in the game.

As the game kicked off for the second half, I'd not even made it back to the dugout before Launceston were awarded a penalty for Bouch handling in the back. A case of being caught cold and on our heels. Fortunately, England was able to read the strike and hold not to parry back into the takers path. From here on out, we took full control of the game. Small was able to pick up a further 2 goals to add a back to back hattrick and 8 in 3 games since signing. Murray had a clear header from a set piece to put over the bar but converted a similar chance minutes late. The introduction of the subs added extra life with fit again Stearnes adding to his tally late with Payn rounding out the scoring and a good day for us. Another positive was the introduction of 16 year old Kobi Lau from the Under 16's.

We'll look forward to a quick turnaround now as we visit Saltash United on Tuesday where we're able to welcome back Haslam and Cullerton.

MoM - Dom Murray.

2 hours ago, joeyirwin92 said:

Is there a reason why my post has been taken down?? 

I hid it as stated on the attached post of mine ........

2 hours ago, joeyirwin92 said:

I couldn’t tell you!! Guess us ‘smaller’ clubs are not allowed to have opinions. 

I'm all for everyone having an opinion but do you really want to subject either yourself or your club to disciplinary procedures?