Cornwall Football Forum

FAMOUTH TOWN ANNOUNCE SECOND SIGNING

22 hours ago, mattelot said:

Falmouth Town have announced their second new signing in 18 year old versatile midfielder James Swan who arrives from Truro City and continuing the clubs policy of investing in youth and looking to the future .

Welcome to Bickland Park James .👍

Another local lad Nigel. Love the way Westy goes out to find talented young players with huge potential instead of chucking money at the more established names who jump from club to club. With Jack Webber and Ollie Walker returning from university and only a couple of years older we have a great blend of youth and experience within the squad.

3 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Another local lad Nigel. Love the way Westy goes out to find talented young players with huge potential instead of chucking money at the more established names who jump from club to club. With Jack Webber and Ollie Walker returning from university and only a couple of years older we a great blend of youth and experience within the squad.

No doubt about the youth aspect but I wonder if it would be wise to get some experience in as well.  May help at least in the short term, as they get used to the higher standards of the new league.

It’s all very well getting in a load of 18 year old players and looking like your bringing through youth. but then chucking them in the western league when they haven’t even really had any peninsular league experience  is a massive gamble.
i can see why it easier to boost the bench with youngsters as opposed to senior players who want want to sit on a bench up away in Bristol . 

19 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

It’s all very well getting in a load of 18 year old players and looking like your bringing through youth. but then chucking them in the western league when they haven’t even really had any peninsular league experience  is a massive gamble.
i can see why it easier to boost the bench with youngsters as opposed to senior players who want want to sit on a bench up away in Bristol . 

If you read the twitter extract from Mark Jones above you will see James Swan in particular has already had experience with Truro 1rst team ,the fact that other western league teams were interested says a lot and I for one am delighted they both chose Falmouth Town . We have a great coaching team within the club who have worked wonders with the current squad .I'm not expecting to win the league ,but I'm sure we will hold our own and upset a few teams along the way .Having said that someone once said You don't win anything with Kids . And we all know what happened next !👍

59 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

No doubt about the youth aspect but I wonder if it would be wise to get some experience in as well.  May help at least in the short term, as they get used to the higher standards of the new league.

Plenty of wise heads already in the side ,who could already have played western league last season but chose to stay on the Falmouth Town journey .

16 minutes ago, mattelot said:

If you read the twitter extract from Mark Jones above you will see James Swan in particular has already had experience with Truro 1rst team ,the fact that other western league teams were interested says a lot and I for one am delighted they both chose Falmouth Town . We have a great coaching team within the club who have worked wonders with the current squad .I'm not expecting to win the league ,but I'm sure we will hold our own and upset a few teams along the way .Having said that someone once said You don't win anything with Kids . And we all know what happened next !👍

Plenty of wise heads already in the side ,who could already have played western league last season but chose to stay on the Falmouth Town journey .

a cracking marketing tool by saying "interest from other clubs...." I always take that bit with a pinch of salt, always sounds good but have seen this sort of statement so many times and ends up being just that he's friends with the manager of another club. 

That being said, this lad is a real talent

Again, another new name to look out for, rather than the same old same old …. Good to see. I’d rather see a side freshened up with young hungry talent with nothing to lose, than season players who float from one club to another at the drop of a hat when the going gets tough, or the money runs out.

1 hour ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Again, another new name to look out for, rather than the same old same old …. Good to see. I’d rather see a side freshened up with young hungry talent with nothing to lose, than season players who float from one club to another at the drop of a hat when the going gets tough, or the money runs out.

Well said that man, we are all really excited at the prospect of seeing these 2 lads play. It will take time for them of course  but hopefully they stay for many years and learn of the likes of more experienced players like James Ward, Tom Annear, Luke Barner, Tim Nixon, Dave Broglino, JBE & Luke Brabyn. Still plenty of time for Westy if he feels he needs to add another player or 2, thats his choice. UTT. 

Jack Webber and Ollie Walker will be like two new signings for you too. So that’s 4 new signings for you so far then! Playing every week will make a lot of difference compared to previous occasional performances in terms of match fitness. Ollie Walker lightening pace but if his final ball can be worked on he would be a million times better. 

31 minutes ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Well said that man, we are all really excited at the prospect of seeing these 2 lads play. It will take time for them of course  but hopefully they stay for many years and learn of the likes of more experienced players like James Ward, Tom Annear, Luke Barner, Tim Nixon, Dave Broglino, JBE & Luke Brabyn. Still plenty of time for Westy if he feels he needs to add another player or 2, thats his choice. UTT. 

It is very much a transfer policy that looks to the future and gradually integrates young, exciting players into an established squad. I am sure though that if older and more experienced players that fit the bill become available, then Town will go and get them. Hopefully the manager and supporters will stick with this approach, even if  things don't initially go to plan in a much tougher league.