Buckland Athletic       2-1   Exmouth Town

Cadbury Heath                 0-2      Brislington

Clevedon Town                 2-2        Wellington

Keynsham Town               6-2       Bridport

Millbrook                             0-3             Helston Athletic

Mousehole                         1-2           Tavistock

Saltash United                   2-3        Ilfracombe Town

Street                                   2-1         Bridgwater United

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Bank Holiday Monday 30 August 2021
13 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Seems to have gone a bit awry for Mousehole. Know they have been hit hard by COVID, but in my very humble opinion, their squad looks a bit thin in terms of numbers and quality. 

WotP - I went and watched this one, simply because two young Camels had agreed to provide cover for Tavi - Ed starting and playing 85 being replaced by Charlie for the last 5. Tavi had three subs (1 without the cover), Mousehole named 6 subs - so I don’t think they have been that badly hit?

Game was all about different styles - Tavi stayed compact and let Mousehole play their ‘side to side’ game in their own half, with great 30/40 yard balls but very little actual penetration. Tavi looked dangerous every time they attacked and scored at the start of both halves - Mousehole scored after about 60 minutes, with probably the first thing Goldsworthy did. 
Have to think that if Mousehole were more direct they would score more - but Tavi played an excellent tactical game and for that deserves the win IMO. 

13 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Seems to have gone a bit awry for Mousehole. Know they have been hit hard by COVID, but in my very humble opinion, their squad looks a bit thin in terms of numbers and quality. 

I agree, Mousehole did grow into the game but as pretty as the possession passing is it didn’t have much effect, I would be looking for some physical presence in the final third maybe as a target man? Looked like an U16s side playing a men’s side size wise. Always seem to have plenty of subs at their disposal but they all look like they’re treading water at this level, Turner very frustrated with the lack of penetration into attacking areas which was evident, I also think they’re skipper is starting to not offer enough at this step as well (but been a great player for them), just my opinion which means nothing 😂

Halston deserved the win yesterday solid in defense and the chances they had up front they scored with ease. Millbrook were below par, they had a foul on Sheperd which was a penalty shout by Millbrook but the ref was not convinced. Strange positions for Millbrook Tom Payne on the wing, in fact better play makes with pace needed in the midfield Sam Morcom would be perfect in this position still helping to defend but had the drive and passing moves needed at this level.Again Josh Toulson would be brillant in midfield but was on the bench yesterday. Macca Brown should of made changes at half time. The forwards had very little chances but the passing was missing from midfield. Sheperd frustrated and Holter not really involved. Tetley deserved man of the match he worked hard in defence and the score could of been greater for Helston without him. Lessons to be learned at Millbrook and player positions??

6 hours ago, THEMAGPIE said:

I agree, Mousehole did grow into the game but as pretty as the possession passing is it didn’t have much effect, I would be looking for some physical presence in the final third maybe as a target man? Looked like an U16s side playing a men’s side size wise. Always seem to have plenty of subs at their disposal but they all look like they’re treading water at this level, Turner very frustrated with the lack of penetration into attacking areas which was evident, I also think they’re skipper is starting to not offer enough at this step as well (but been a great player for them), just my opinion which means nothing 😂

The slight criticism of Mousehole's style of play has been that while it is undoubtedly easy on the eye, it can be a little one dimensional and predictable. While most people like to see a passing and possession type of football, it does need to be mixed up a bit with an  option to go more direct. Both Parkway and Tavi realised this quite quickly in the Western League, and got players in who were capable of adapting to different circumstances in a match, including being able to win a physical battle if necessary. Not sure that Mousehole have these in their squad. Only my opinion, and I am sure that Jake Ash and his team prepare teams that they believe have what is needed to compete in and win matches.

20 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

The slight criticism of Mousehole's style of play has been that while it is undoubtedly easy on the eye, it can be a little one dimensional and predictable. While most people like to see a passing and possession type of football, it does need to be mixed up a bit with an  option to go more direct. Both Parkway and Tavi realised this quite quickly in the Western League, and got players in who were capable of adapting to different circumstances in a match, including being able to win a physical battle if necessary. Not sure that Mousehole have these in their squad. Only my opinion, and I am sure that Jake Ash and his team prepare teams that they believe have what is needed to compete in and win matches.

WotP - would totally agree, Mousehole need someone like Jake at the back (an absolute rock) and a target man up front, without either teams will just set up as Tavi did and nullify them. 

Saltash 2 Ilfracombe 3

Observations rather than full match report. In short too many players off form and injuries starting to bite. The Ashes squad needs more depth! To that end, good to see Dan Perryman on board.

Now the Ashes have surrended 3-0 and 2-0 positions at home and sonehow managed to lose this season. Very disappointing  This is especially so having seen Tavi dispatch the North Devon side with ease whilst only being in second gear the previous midweek.

This loss more painful than the 3-0 defeat to a very good Bridgwater side on Saturday. 

Possibly for the first time since taking over Dane Bunney has some thinking to do and challenges to overcome. The first XI are competive when everyone is fit and on form  No need to panic. TBF luck seems to have utterly deserted Saltash ATM.

In some ways maybe results recently will dispel any notions that the WL is easy. It isn't. Next two ganes home to the Bucks and away to Exmouth will be anything but that!

35 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Saltash 2 Ilfracombe 3

Observations rather than full match report. In short too many players off form and injuries starting to bite. The Ashes squad needs more depth! To that end, good to see Dan Perryman on board.

Now the Ashes have surrended 3-0 and 2-0 positions at home and sonehow managed to lose this season. Very disappointing  This is especially so having seen Tavi dispatch the North Devon side with ease whilst only being in second gear the previous midweek.

This loss more painful than the 3-0 defeat to a very good Bridgwater side on Saturday. 

Possibly for the first time since taking over Dane Bunney has some thinking to do and challenges to overcome. The first XI are competive when everyone is fit and on form  No need to panic. TBF luck seems to have utterly deserted Saltash ATM.

In some ways maybe results recently will dispel any notions that the WL is easy. It isn't. Next two ganes home to the Bucks and away to Exmouth will be anything but that!

Fair comments Both Sides. For all the "Cornish sides will storm the Western League, just look at previous results in the Vase", there were plenty more offering the view that it will take time to adapt and settle down. Just hope that as the Cornish clubs hit difficult patches  and possibly find themselves closer to the foot of the table than top, it doesn't turn into an opportunity for the doom mongers and nae sayers to say that the whole promotion thing is a waste of time and money.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Fair comments Both Sides. For all the "Cornish sides will storm the Western League, just look at previous results in the Vase", there were plenty more offering the view that it will take time to adapt and settle down. Just hope that as the Cornish clubs hit difficult patches  and possibly find themselves closer to the foot of the table than top, it doesn't turn into an opportunity for the doom mongers and nae sayers to say that the whole promotion thing is a waste of time and money.

Think all the Cornish sides WILL end the season in good positions, but early results maybe clouded expectatiions. Injuries aside, one or two of the stellar performers in the Saltash side off form too. However, good players are exactly that, so patience needed from the Ashes faithful.

The beast that is Callum O'B is really missed.

Yes 2 results in 2 days where 5 good games before it including good wins at clevedon and brislington where 8 scored. Not sure we need to be concerned yet.

A positive Monday one of our lads coming back, a new striker added. 

Going to Bridgwater, it felt like a mini football league club and a physical team who knew what to do to get the win. It looked like Monday was going to be a bounce back at 2-0, the game got away from us in the end, had one of the chances gone in it would have probably been 3-1. Ilfracombe had a sniff and they took it, charged down the wing and any touch, it would have been a pen anyway. 2-2 and parity restored then anyone’s game.

It is still early days, an unbeaten 5 games before these games, good football thrown in, only in the week before. I was grateful of beating Tavi on opening day as stopped the chance of two early defeats, winless etc new to the league. I am positive with where we are.

Always going to be saltash issue. Have a very strong core of local loyal players but they are miles off the money  heslton / buckland etc are chucking around to strengthen the team with quality players  

rob farkins went to buckland and I see Levi Landricombe has been playing for buckland also. Imagine if saltash could have  call on any of them 2. Or a few that are up devon way that travel right past saltash to drive to Helston to turn out. 

The season hasn’t even really started yet and saltash seem to suffering injuries 

big test for Dane.