Cornwall Football Forum

footballers wages .

fenman

For some time now I have been concerned about how many Premiership players manage to survive on their  low income . It must be a struggle to get by on £100,000 + a week when pensioners are flush with money , about £150 per week . So I was greatly relieved to see that 2 of the Premiership players will be paid an extra £10 million a year in sponsorship in addition to their paltry wages . . They will now be able to buy luxuries like new shoes for their children and afford a luxury holiday in Newquay or Blackpool . 

46 minutes ago, fenman said:

For some time now I have been concerned about how many Premiership players manage to survive on their  low income . It must be a struggle to get by on £100,000 + a week when pensioners are flush with money , about £150 per week . So I was greatly relieved to see that 2 of the Premiership players will be paid an extra £10 million a year in sponsorship in addition to their paltry wages . . They will now be able to buy luxuries like new shoes for their children and afford a luxury holiday in Newquay or Blackpool . 

Remember Fenman it's not their fault.

Blame the pay per view companies.

It’s not the fault of SKY, BT or Amazon Prime. It’s we mugs who buy these packages. If we didn’t, those companies wouldn’t make such huge bids for the rights to screen. To some the wages of players are obscene. They are not. If a player is good enough, clubs will compete for his services. Unfortunately, some clubs have mega rich backers so the playing field is not level. Given the choice of playing for Palace at £50k a week or Man City at £150k a week, which would you choose? Personally, I think it has always been the same but the numbers are much bigger now. Is Jonathon Ross worth a reported £4m a year to do a TV chat show? Not in my book. If Harry Kane worth £10m a year? He is if someone is prepared to pay it. Don’t blame the players or their agents. Blame yourself. If you don’t subscribe, then your vote doesn’t really count. Rant over.

1 hour ago, baldy said:

It’s not the fault of SKY, BT or Amazon Prime. It’s we mugs who buy these packages. If we didn’t, those companies wouldn’t make such huge bids for the rights to screen. To some the wages of players are obscene. They are not. If a player is good enough, clubs will compete for his services. Unfortunately, some clubs have mega rich backers so the playing field is not level. Given the choice of playing for Palace at £50k a week or Man City at £150k a week, which would you choose? Personally, I think it has always been the same but the numbers are much bigger now. Is Jonathon Ross worth a reported £4m a year to do a TV chat show? Not in my book. If Harry Kane worth £10m a year? He is if someone is prepared to pay it. Don’t blame the players or their agents. Blame yourself. If you don’t subscribe, then your vote doesn’t really count. Rant over.

Point taken baldy...good post buddy.

13 minutes ago, Keith B said:

They are not worth the money - the agents need to be got rid of. Agents take a big percentage of any transfer deal.

Parasites living off the sweat of the players they represent.

Its entirely up the clubs hour much they pay their players.  Beckham used to be on around £500k a week at Madrid allegedly but he was worth every penny because of all the merchandise and deals the club got from having him aboard. 

Agents are a different matter!! They take too much money out of the game

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

Its entirely up the clubs hour much they pay their players.  Beckham used to be on around £500k a week at Madrid allegedly but he was worth every penny because of all the merchandise and deals the club got from having him aboard. 

I read that when Madrid signed Beckam they recouped all of the transfer  fee in the first week on shirt sales alone!

19 hours ago, St Darren said:

Very good point older. I read a piece a few years ago regarding the commercial value of Wayne Rooney to Manchester United. Even when his powers on the pitch were waning, he was still worth more to them in terms of advertising and merchandising than as a player. I believe that in 2015 United sold over 3m items of clothing and other goods with his name on. A friend of mine lives in Shanghai, he told me how Rooney's name and face, together with the Man United logo,was ubiquitous on advertising hoardings throughout the city. 

Before we get too far into the "all footballers are overpaid" theme, the wages taper off considerably beyond the Premier League and Championship. The average wage for league 2 is just over £2k per week, this is a very good salary, but the average contract duration is 2 years, many are less than that. This means that every 2 years you have to put yourself out there in the hope of finding another club, and being subject to re negotiating terms and conditions. Not great if you have a mortage to pay. 

Post pandemic, as with most other businesses in the country, football clubs will be looking to cut costs. This will be through established means such as cutting payroll numbers and wages.

17 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I read that when Madrid signed Beckam they recouped all of the transfer  fee in the first week on shirt sales alone!

7 hours ago, Keith B said:

Half a million per week for kicking a football around - it's time to pull the plug on it all. Millions of people across the world are starving and/or homeless - whilst we don't properly fund the NHS, the Military, Police or any other worthwhile public service. At that rate I'd rather there was no more football at all. 

And yes - I know it's not the footballer's fault. The wage paid to footballers is preposterous and a disgrace on the so called civilised Western world.

You are fully aware that footballers pay tax on their wages therfore contribute a lot more to society than others so. 

Is nothing to do with the NHS, thats funded by government and should be funded more by footballers wages have nothing to do with that. 

What about a banker who gets paid over a million pounds a year, are you going to say anything about how their money is crazy as well? 

What that **** Matt Hancock said last year about footballers should take a pay cut prices how daft he is as cutting their wage would mean a deduction in income tax. 

If the clubs can afford to pay them and they're worth it with what they m make the club in return then crack on

24 minutes ago, Keith B said:

You're missing my point Darren. I'm simply talking about the moral issue we have here. The government/society allow footballers to be paid obscenely high wages, whilst people who should be paid higher wages than they get, get peanuts by comparison.

If you think footballers actually earn the money they get . . . there's no point in continuing this conversation. 

Not sure what your point is Keith. What people get paid is a simple equation of what someone is willing to pay you alongside what you can negotiate for yourself. Premiership football players are in a strong position on both counts. 

Nobody honestly believes that police officers, fire fighters,docters, nurses, paramedics and all other front line/essential services shouldn't be paid more, but their employers are unable/unwilling to offer more. Around the same percentage of people that believe they deserve a pay rise, would also rather not pay extra tax to enable this. 

48 minutes ago, Keith B said:

You're missing my point Darren. I'm simply talking about the moral issue we have here. The government/society allow footballers to be paid obscenely high wages, whilst people who should be paid higher wages than they get, get peanuts by comparison.

If you think footballers actually earn the money they get . . . there's no point in continuing this conversation. 

Define 'earn'. If you have a player that you pay £10m a year and he makes the club £15m a year then surely he's worth the money. 

Football has gone this way with wages because of the global entertainment business it had become. 

If you want to talk about morals, I take you back to politicians claiming obscene amounts on expenses. 

I think different age groups will have different opinions on this . The older generation will look at it from a persons worth to society point of view the younger generation will look at it from a purely worth to football point of view . 

Most of the younger generation are perfectly happy for people like Joey Essex and similar untalented people being paid fortunes .Perhaps this is where its all gone wrong for football , its such a huge international market in terms of gambling and merchandising created by television companies falling over backward to  pay the going rate . I can honestly see that in the future there will be a European or World super league  and the British domestic league being part time players  supported by gate money . 

As a final comment  on a persons worth to society , Gareth Bale was being paid £600,00 per week for not playing whilst in Spain he probably gets half that for sometimes playing in England . On Friday a man called Mallard  , who very few people have heard of died  . He was one of the team who invented the MRI scanner  used throughout the world  and has helped the health of millions of people , he probably EARNT  in his lifetime  what Bale was PAID  in 3 months . 

10 hours ago, Keith B said:

My point is the moral issue I spoke of WOTP.

By earn I mean - is what we see from Premier League footballers when they play, value for that sort of money ? Even Mata, the Man U player said ''we are paid far too much for what we do''. Mata has given millions to charities in Spain it should be noted, to his credit.

Yes there have been many unworthy MP's as you say Darren. Dishonest and unworthy of public office.

Let's ask the big question then, what about the Royal Family then? At least we have the power to kick out corrupt MP's. How much are we paying for the likes of Prince Andrew and Prince Edward? And that is before you get into the issues surrounding the land ownership, business transparency and taxation status of the Duchy Of Cornwall. 

Way off topic I know, but Premiership footballers are enjoying their salaries as a result hard work, dedication and talent, not birthright, inheritance and entitlement. 

58 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Ah I understand now - yes that's true of course. The royal family are born into it - and of course, the families of many rich people have been born into it too. Successful business men/women, pass on that wealth, upon death, to their families as well - that's life. 

It was WOTP's assertion that Premier league players are enjoying the fruits of their ''hard work, dedication and talent'' that irked me. He seems to think that that entitled them to be paid amounts of money that frankly are outrageous. When you compare what they do for that money, compared with the skills of surgeons and scientists, and, the dedication shown by the brave men and women of the police, fire brigade, armed forces and others who serve the general public in a selfless manner. 

To pay footballers vast amounts of money, far more than 90% of the workforce of this country, or the world for that matter, for what they do - just shows how our priorities are utterly wrong in my book. But, I guess many will agree and disagree on this subject Darren.

Surgeons get paid more for doing the same job when they do it privately! 

I have no problem with footballers getting paid what they do if the club can afford it, it's obviously working for a lot of them 

12 hours ago, St Darren said:

It's true isn't it 

Your final para - absolute tripe. 

Well well - anti royalist aye WOTP ? 

Yes, correct. Not a fan of the entitlement,deference and baked in privilege surrounding the Royal Family. I do stand by my comments regarding them and the extended court of hangers on. Too deep and nuanced a discussion for here though, so this is where i'll leave it. 

Anyway, don't those Premiership footballers get paid a lot! 

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

Fair comment WOTP. We are all entitled to our own views. 

Spot on Keith. If we all listened a bit more (including myself), talked a bit less and had the courage to say "I don't agree with your views, but I support your right to have them" (within reason of course, certain things are beyond the pale), it would be a better world.