Cornwall Football Forum

Promotion & Relegation

With the future of combo being decided tomorrow, where does this leave the teams in the Trelawney Leagues. For instance if there aren't enough teams for combo, & the league folds, this will leave 6 new teams being "relegated"  to Trelawny Prem for Combo. Once you add the 2 teams who are going up (Threemilestone & Rousugeon) that's 8 new teams in the league. This would mean that 8 Trelawney Prem teams would be relegated to division 1, 8 div 1 teams going to division 2 & so on. Surely not fair if a team like Holmans, who enjoyed a decent season -finishing mid table with a decent young squad, got relegated just because of the mess up of a new league 2 steps above them. 

25 minutes ago, Springfield said:

There also a few club expressing a interest to join Trelawney 4 which may cancel out mass relegation. 

What do you mean? Trelawney Prem teams wanting to move to div 4?

I wouldn't have thought that having more teams in each league is an option, especially when last season the cups were cancelled as they couldn't fit all of the games in. 

Even though some of the teams will be “relegated” won’t they still be at the same step as they were before (i.e. those relegated to Div 1 will still be 2 promotions away from St Piran’s as there is no combo)?

Either way there will be lots of changes as expected this season.

Lets just say the Combo had to fold by no fault of the own. Would the new Division be called Trelawny Combo and below that Trelawny Premier?  The Trelawny Combo would still be a Step 8 league and play in the Senior Cup along side their ECPL counterparts?

Also those in Combo currently have Level 5 County Refereess and are able to charge on the gate. Will those clubs now get shafted by being forced into the Trelawny League? 

4 minutes ago, Mr Justice said:

Also those in Combo currently have Level 5 County Refereess and are able to charge on the gate. Will those clubs now get shafted by being forced into the Trelawny League? 

You're correct about the position of clubs within the pecking order but any club can "charge on the gate", regardless of the League they play in if there are no League rules to prevent it - which there aren't.

58 minutes ago, Mr Justice said:

Lets just say the Combo had to fold by no fault of the own. Would the new Division be called Trelawny Combo and below that Trelawny Premier?  The Trelawny Combo would still be a Step 8 league and play in the Senior Cup along side their ECPL counterparts?

Oh my.....Step 8..... no such thing I'm afraid....step 7  which is St Pirans, ends the step football..below that is Recreational football .. its Junior in the old style nomenclature... you really show the old way of seeing things here... 

8 hours ago, Roy D said:

I wouldn't have thought that having more teams in each league is an option, especially when last season the cups were cancelled as they couldn't fit all of the games in. 

With more sides looking to enter at Div 4 will promote a few more teams through other leagues  and add put a few more into combo 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

With more sides looking to enter at Div 4 will promote a few more teams through other leagues  and add put a few more into combo 

How many teams do you think are entering?

We've lost a couple aswell - bare that in mind.

Regardless of what happens to the Combo, the Trelawny League needs security. Personally I think it would be a bad thing if more Trelawny teams applied for Combo. The Combination League are trying to save their league by inviting members of ours to go across, however that will then see the end of at least one of our divisions.

With such a big shuffle ahead, my personal opinion wouldn't be to speculate on Social Media as to what I think will happen. I will ask the opinion of those that matter - our clubs.

There are a couple of teams that are playing above their current standard (St Buryan First will be first to admit following a recent telephone call). Maybe a league shuffle could be on the cards? Teams from Combination League come down, we could ask our current Prem teams if any of them would like to seek voluntary relegation, then see of anyone in the following divisions would like to do the same. It would bring balance across the divisions. 

Personally, the only thing I hope comes out of all of this is that our current clubs are not affected too much by the impact the St Pirans League appears to be having.

36 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

How many teams do you think are entering?

We've lost a couple aswell - bare that in mind.

Regardless of what happens to the Combo, the Trelawny League needs security. Personally I think it would be a bad thing if more Trelawny teams applied for Combo. The Combination League are trying to save their league by inviting members of ours to go across, however that will then see the end of at least one of our divisions.

With such a big shuffle ahead, my personal opinion wouldn't be to speculate on Social Media as to what I think will happen. I will ask the opinion of those that matter - our clubs.

There are a couple of teams that are playing above their current standard (St Buryan First will be first to admit following a recent telephone call). Maybe a league shuffle could be on the cards? Teams from Combination League come down, we could ask our current Prem teams if any of them would like to seek voluntary relegation, then see of anyone in the following divisions would like to do the same. It would bring balance across the divisions. 

Personally, the only thing I hope comes out of all of this is that our current clubs are not affected too much by the impact the St Pirans League appears to be having.

I'm thinking that Pendeen, Culdrose, Carharrack, Newquay, Lizard & Porthleven will all have to join the Trelawney league if their current league folds, & obviously the 2 promoted teams.

It's certainly crap for all involved. The fault doesn't lie with either Combo or Trelawney, it lies with the St Piran league. For me they should have taken bigger deposits at the start to stop so many teams dropping out & then to move the goal posts only a couple of weeks ago & take so many combo teams without any consideration for the league's or clubs in steps below. You have clubs that worked hard to become senior teams, finished in respectable league positions, that will now become junior teams over night.

Despite all football below Step 7 being classed as "recreational" there is still an acknowledged "pecking order" of Leagues in Cornwall. The use of the description Step 8, 9, etc, while being technically incorrect does identify the position of Leagues/divisions in the County. So if we currently label Combo as Step 8, Trelawny Prem as Step 9 and Trelawny Div 1 as Step 10 and so on, it might make things easier to understand. If the Combo and Trelawny Leagues were to merge, Trelawny Prem would be become Step 8 and Trelawny Div 1 would become Step 9. So there is no relegation; in fact, apart from the Combo Clubs and those Trelawny Clubs finishing in a relegation spot - who actually stay at the same level - all other Clubs are promoted to a higher tier of Cornish football!

5 minutes ago, Roy D said:

I'm thinking that Pendeen, Culdrose, Carharrack, Newquay, Lizard & Porthleven will all have to join the Trelawney league if their current league folds, & obviously the 2 promoted teams.

It's certainly crap for all involved. The fault doesn't lie with either Combo or Trelawney, it lies with the St Piran league. For me they should have taken bigger deposits at the start to stop so many teams dropping out & then to move the goal posts only a couple of weeks ago & take so many combo teams without any consideration for the league's or clubs in steps below. You have clubs that worked hard to become senior teams, finished in respectable league positions, that will now become junior teams over night.

If you are referring to Senior and Junior, these "labels" only apply to which of the CCFA Cups a Club plays in. My guess is that, should there be a Combo/Trelawny merger, the non-reserve teams in Trelawny Prem would go into the Senior Cup.

18 minutes ago, John Mead said:

Despite all football below Step 7 being classed as "recreational" there is still an acknowledged "pecking order" of Leagues in Cornwall. The use of the description Step 8, 9, etc, while being technically incorrect does identify the position of Leagues/divisions in the County. So if we currently label Combo as Step 8, Trelawny Prem as Step 9 and Trelawny Div 1 as Step 10 and so on, it might make things easier to understand. If the Combo and Trelawny Leagues were to merge, Trelawny Prem would be become Step 8 and Trelawny Div 1 would become Step 9. So there is no relegation; in fact, apart from the Combo Clubs and those Trelawny Clubs finishing in a relegation spot - who actually stay at the same level - all other Clubs are promoted to a higher tier of Cornish football!

If you are referring to Senior and Junior, these "labels" only apply to which of the CCFA Cups a Club plays in. My guess is that, should there be a Combo/Trelawny merger, the non-reserve teams in Trelawny Prem would go into the Senior Cup.

Yeah I know what you are saying, but for me it's always been that way, still it's an aim for young players to play senior football, ie play in the senior cup instead of the junior amongst other things. Also you have combo clubs taking money on the gates & players not having to pay subs. I know you'll say that junior clubs are welcome to charge on the gate, but you watch the uproar if junior teams started charging fans. I think the main issue is that we are pretty much in June & nobody knows. St Pirran should have had their league sorted months ago & then this would have never happened. 

17 hours ago, Roy D said:

Looks like will go 2 ways fold combo due to a lack of teams OR promote a few teams and restructure leagues  to suit new teams wishing to enter at Division 4

3 hours ago, Cornish Dave said:

It’s not hard really. Keep combo league and push the teams up a league. Teams in the prem with good ground go combo, then go to div 1 for next group with nice ground. Simple 

You should promote on higher finish not on ground grading...combo standard has suffered many years because of restrictions put in place...

6 hours ago, #sausagefingers said:

You should promote on higher finish not on ground grading...combo standard has suffered many years because of restrictions put in place...

Ground grading is no longer enforced when applying to Combo