Cornwall Football Forum

Best wishes to Duchy Premier sides St Stephen & St Minver  meeting each other in the Junior Cup Final on Friday. Unfortunately a prior engagement will prevent me attending. 

Hope you enjoy your very special Friday evening 

The two sides, who will possibly finish the season as champions and runners-up, are yet to meet in the League - could be an interesting end to the season.

Cornwall Junior Cup Sponsored by Bond Timber

St Stephen v St Minver

Lux Park, Liskeard Athletic

Friday April 21st

Kick Off - 7:30pm

Entry Fee - £4 Adult £2 U16 and Concessions

Apparently the junior cup was played Friday night!!!.........although you would hardly know. Not a single match report or comment on the game.....not even a referee comment which seems to be the rather annoying trend these days!

For anyone interested St Miniver beat St stephens 3-1 (according to the county website) is it time to go back to the old format east v west played on Easter Monday prior to the senior cup final???? Might generate more interest for the county showpiece match for the lower leagues

You would say that coming from the west lol. Although i only played the old format i think the new one is better.  Chance to play teams from the other side of the county that you wouldn't get normally.  

As for the final, there was only one team in it.  Not a bad game in front of a fair size crowd.  St minvers 3rd goal worthy of winning any game.

40 minutes ago, Pitty said:

Apparently the junior cup was played Friday night!!!.........although you would hardly know. Not a single match report or comment on the game.....not even a referee comment which seems to be the rather annoying trend these days!

For anyone interested St Miniver beat St stephens 3-1 (according to the county website) is it time to go back to the old format east v west played on Easter Monday prior to the senior cup final???? Might generate more interest for the county showpiece match for the lower leagues

Got to go back to Easter Monday b4 the senior final.  Bigger crowds better atmosphere. What were the ccfa thinking. 

20 hours ago, bighairydave said:

They were doing what were asked by the clubs!

I think that is probably a bit of a misleading, over simplification of the survey.

I don't have total recall (of anything really) but seem to think the response was only about 60% and of those only about 60% wanted 'the Junior Cup Final on a different day to the Senior Cup Final'  -  so that is basically only about 36% of the clubs in favour.

But I'm pretty sure the question wasn't  - 'do you want the Junior Cup Final on a Friday night ?'

This is only from memory so hopefully someone will correct me if I have any of the facts wrong.

.......Or the Sunday before the Bank Holiday Monday to allow for any 'celebrations' to be fully enjoyed :drink: A day fixture has got to be so much better then a rush around at night match and allow more supporters and neutrals the opportunity to enjoy a day out.

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

That's not a bad shout actually.

Instead of an evening game, what does everyone think about the first May Bank Holiday or would that clash with any league cup finals that are staged on that day?

The Duchy League Knock Out Cup Final has been on the May Bank Holiday Monday for many years now Dave. St Minver v St Dennis at Sticker this season 6.00pm ko

In recent years I think the ECPL has also held its Divisional Finals on the Monday.

What a fantastic occasion it was on Friday night and it seemed much more exciting an occasion than the Senior Cup I had attended on the Monday at Helston.

I am personally a fan of the joint Bank Holiday Senior and Junior Cup double header but must say the CCFA and Liskeard FC really helped provide a fantastic evening on Friday for all attending.

Please find here our match report as we came out 3-1 victors against a great St Stephen side.

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/stminverfc/teams/87165/match-centre/0-3653789

Thanks to all our football friends for all their very kind words received before, during and after the game #feelingthecornishfootballlove

I also think location may have alot to do with this too! .. liskeard being far more accessible than helston. 

I genuinely think also, there is too many senior teams that dont want to stick around and celebrate cup successes and are quick to quickly get back home after a game.

Almost like senior football has become like a chore rather an enjoyment

9 hours ago, Paul Collings said:

The Duchy League Knock Out Cup Final has been on the May Bank Holiday Monday for many years now Dave. St Minver v St Dennis at Sticker this season 6.00pm ko

In recent years I think the ECPL has also held its Divisional Finals on the Monday.

That's what I thought that might clash!