Cornwall Football Forum

The age old debate, officials again!

I had the pleasure of visiting a few different games/grounds over the past week, including camelford v ivybridge yesterday and st austell v bodmin last week.

I really believe it is becoming a serious concern with the standard of officials at this level. Some of the worst decisions ive seen on a football pitch are been made. Some of these are costing clubs points. Ive witnessed linesmen having conversation with spectators and missing action. Ive seen referees throwing cards around and losing control of numerous games.

Something needs to change soon because these games are no longer football matches they are run by people wanting to be centre of attention.

As for the respect campaign and the meetings set up by the fa to try and help matters, thats gone very quiet.

I don't think too much has changed either for the better or worse.

I would still love to see the referee show more yellows when being surrounded.

As for the follow up meetings - cornishrambler has a point there as I'm aware that there have been any follow up ones.

All but 12 months on, perhaps it would be good to hear if they meet again.

16 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Correct Dave. Agree totally with your point about more bookings when a ref is surrounded by angry players. Recently when watching TV, I was amazed that Mike Dean didn't book players who were right in his face shouting, and with such hatred seemingly in their faces. What constitutes dissent these days ?

Thereby lies the problem Keith if the top class referees allow these overpaid prima donnas to get away with it the grass roots footballers just follow suit! The trouble is it could end up with not many players left on the field. But to be sure an example has to be made. You only have to look at Rugby which can be a  much more brutal game but hardly any dissent !! Time to introduce the sinbin in soccer methinks!

3 hours ago, B Manning said:

Cornishrambler, as you are extremely knowledgeable and as you say something needs to be done then now is your chance to put things right, take a referee course get some experience and the show us how it should be done.

Perhaps it should start with the refs climbing down from their overwhelming egos !

Cornishrambler - I have made my views (rant) known about the Ivybridge v Camelford game yesterday, but unfortunately any concerns raised over referees is invariably met with derision.

Yes everyone has bad days, no one is perfect, referees are human, players cause a lot of the problems and yes we need more referees - but surely where we are taking about officials in the SWPL Prem, who are all paid wel, including assistant referees, they should be the best in the two counties. There has to be a difference at recreational level to step level in performance of all involved  

I have seen fantastic refs in Trelawney / ECPL / Combo matches - who's very nature and presence gives confidence to all watching and playing, and yet I have seen refs in the Prem who ruin games, within minutes of the start and week in/out want to be the most important thing on the pitch.

I seriously believe it is not the overall standard of referees or their numbers but is more to do with a system that seems to elevate certain individuals with character traits that don't help game management - it's not just being fit and knowing the law / rules, it's how players are spoken to and a level of consistency.

i referee dobwells and plymstock yesterday

both set of players tried to play football on a tricky pitch.

this refereree (me) as never had a overwhelming ego i go out with a smile on my face and try and let 22 players play there football 

dont always work but hay that part and parcel of our game.

started 25 years ago

and love every single moment STILL:thumbsup:

18 minutes ago, THE LYNX AFFECT said:

this refereree (me) as never had a overwhelming ego i go out with a smile on my face and try and let 22 players play there football 

started 25 years ago

Lynx - if only more where like you

3 hours ago, THE LYNX AFFECT said:

started 25 years ago

I hate to say this (ha ha) but compared with some of the referees we have had over the last 6 or so weeks I thought you were a breath of fresh air, as usual you talked to players and even if all decisions might not be right you were confident and consistent and got all the big decisions right, you are welcome to Dobwalls anytime, I must have taught you all I know!    

6 hours ago, karaoke said:

I hate to say this (ha ha) but compared with some of the referees we have had over the last 6 or so weeks I thought you were a breath of fresh air, as usual you talked to players and even if all decisions might not be right you were confident and consistent and got all the big decisions right, you are welcome to Dobwalls anytime, I must have taught you all I know!    

always willing to learn from my master al. just love refereeing after all this time

thank you to dobwells for the coffee and banter

8 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Lynx - yes in the middle and on the line

oh shit . lol lol