Cornwall Football Forum

The Ched Evans Scenario

Picture the scene: Ched Evans gives up on ever playing professional football and escapes the rat race and moves to Anytown in the south west. He wants to play football but realises he will never be able to make a living from it (his father in law to be is actually a multi-millionaire anyway). He wants to play football. Would any club locally sign him, or want to sign him? Would any club be willing to take a chance on a former Welsh international with a proven goalscoring record? Would be interested to hear club's views on this.

I think Ched Evans should be given a chance i think hes innocent , we have a player in the south west who killed 2 young boys and crippled there father by his drunk driving action but hes still playing and picking up a good wage and he is a very good player and a nice bloke but he has been allowed to carry on playing . Ched Evans is just trying to rebuild his life how many young girls go out to bag a young rich footballer and then go to the newspapers selling there stories . Give Ched a chance

Bearing in mind the appeal, I would add this to the debate.

In another life I was, for a while, a member of the General Teaching Council of England (until disbanded by Michael Gove). I had to sit on and sometimes take the chair for disciplinary hearings, for teachers who had fallen foul of the teacher's Code of Practice. In the list of things teachers could be disciplined for were "relevant convictions". Would it be in the "public interest" - as opposed to "interesting to the public" - for a rapist to occupy a particular position in society? A rape conviction would almost certainly result in the teacher being "struck off". Not many people would argue with that. Now, many professions have a Code of Conduct and answer to their Professional Body. Doctors, Nurses, Social Workers, Vets, Solicitors, Dentists, Pharmacists and so on. I think the FA should operate in the same way because of the position pro players have in society, especially in the role model department and their influence on children. Then such a case could be brought before a Disciplinary Committee and heard, and a Professional sanction applied. Yes, in such a case this is in addition to anything handed down by a Court, and yes, it is subject to the outcome of any appeal, and the Committee's ruling can also be appealed against. This removes emotion from the question. Should a convicted rapist be allowed to teach/nurse/dispense drugs? The answer may vary but would at least let footballers know where they stood.

On that basis, I would think that a footballer convicted of rape ought not be able to continue in his job - but a pharmacist ought to be because there would be no problem of public interest.

It's inevitable that he will make a return to ( professional ) football, whether his conviction is overturned or not

This is probably the most cynical, hard nosed profession that there is, and the simple truth is - He scores goals

The time will arrive when a desperate club chairman decides that losing a sponsor, and a few disgruntled fans is a price worth paying.

I understand what Steve Bruce was trying to say ( although what makes him think he's qualified to question legal process is beyond me ), he's making the same point as Keith B did, that he didn't drag someone into an alley, it was a bit more grey than that. But he was still found guilty

And I think the amount of cases that get sent back is only about 3%

Whatever the outcome it would appear that he's got the morals of a sewer rat, and I wouldn't want my daughter anywhere near him - Millionaire or not

As for the role model bit - I certainly didn't bring my son up see the likes of Rooney etc as role models - And to be fair to the players they don't ask to be role models so why should they be

Young impressionable boys may hero worship players just like we did when younger but I never ended up going through life wanting to live my life as Bobby Charlton would have done

Agree no morals in football ,but why did he not wait until his appeal before resuming his career, but we all seem to forget the victim in this case the abuse she has had to endure and having to change her address several times , and her family what about them how would any of us feel about this rape if it happened to a wife daughter,mother sister of ours , we would want justice ,which for what ever reason he has not served the full five year term less than half ,I for one if it happened to one of my family would not call this justice

What happens if the conviction gets overturned and he's not guilty of rape?

Is he still a guilty man in your eyes? He believes he's innocent and therefore hadn't apologised for something he believes/knows he's not guilty of.

The whole thing stinks in my eyes. The way the trial went, how he was guilty but his lesser know. Mate wasn't and the way that the alleged victim has been treated, no one deserves that

Picture the scene: Ched Evans gives up on ever playing professional football and escapes the rat race and moves to Anytown in the south west. He wants to play football but realises he will never be able to make a living from it (his father in law to be is actually a multi-millionaire anyway). He wants to play football. Would any club locally sign him, or want to sign him? Would any club be willing to take a chance on a former Welsh international with a proven goalscoring record? Would be interested to hear club's views on this.

Truro City = Luke McCormack.??

I am reluctant to comment, on this particular case, in view of the challenge to this conviction, however, even more worrying I might find myself agreeing with SSS that that he could find a home at a west-country League or Non-league club. Either way, as you say they both have "previous". For some clubs goal scoring verses rape/manslaughter/necrophilia (or at least sexual activity with a geriatric) is a no brainer. Sign 'em up! From the top of the game to the bargain basement there are precious few morals in today's "beautiful game"!

Somersetspur its Luke McCormick and that what i was talking about in a previous post without naming the person i think what he done is a lot worst to what Ched Evans is suppose to of done which i think is veryarrow-10x10.png unlikely . What Luke done was took away 2 young boys lifes and crippled there father another case was Lee Hughes who also killed someone by drink driving and are then given a 2nd choice . Ched Evans is a real good player i think he was on Man city books and a welsh International i wouldnt mind seeing him running out on to the pitch at Home Park give the poor bloke a chance like Mc Cormick has been given

Somersetspur its Luke McCormick and that what i was talking about in a previous post without naming the person i think what he done is a lot worst to what Ched Evans is suppose to of done which i think is veryarrow-10x10.png unlikely . What Luke done was took away 2 young boys lifes and crippled there father another case was Lee Hughes who also killed someone by drink driving and are then given a 2nd choice . Ched Evans is a real good player i think he was on Man city books and a welsh International i wouldnt mind seeing him running out on to the pitch at Home Park give the poor bloke a chance like Mc Cormick has been given

both have done wrong and deserve what comes to them ,Evans poor bloke ? Until the conviction is turned over he is a rapist, if god forbid any of the general public like us had done these crimes could we go back to our old jobs ,you would have to declare your conviction, on your application as my previous post why did he not wait until after the appeal ? At present he has been found guilty by a jury , we don't know the facts the jury would have all the evidence in front of them ,if you have served on a jury you would understand this ,

There have been cases, (before DNA), where a jury has convicted and all appeals have failed only for DNA to clear them years later. The British legal system is not infallible!

Certainly Goldeneye, these things have happened in the past. Not so relevant in this case though, he has confirmed that intercourse took place, his guilt/innocence relies on the matter of whether or not it was consensual.

Exactly! At the moment he's a rapist and if the case gets overturned - which I fully expect it to - he's not!!! So yeah, the British justice system isn't all that

As for Luke mccormick, he didn't intentionally go out and kill 2 boys that night, it was an accident. However, due to his drinking on the previous night it increased the chances of it happening.

There is one thing I do not get.  The video shows the girl walking very steadily out to pick up a pizza and walks back again and yet she syas she cant remember. REALLY.  I hope when this case is overturned the girl is named and shamed.

I think you will find she has already been named and shamed and having to move several times,to escape abuse ,is this right ? Until the appeal she is the wronged party ,we don't know what happened that night only the people involved do ,and why would the CP's bring the case to court if they thought it is is as clear cut as you say ecpl? Rape is only second to murder in my book , I think some posters should really put themselves in the victims family position as to how they feel to have this all dragged through the court again ,whatever the outcome of the appeal it has ruined the girls life ,she can't move on, another point I would make to make is I think all persons in a rape case should remain anonymous until a conviction has taken place

There is one thing I do not get.  The video shows the girl walking very steadily out to pick up a pizza and walks back again and yet she syas she cant remember. REALLY.  I hope when this case is overturned the girl is named and shamed.

but she can say NO to any sexual advance

I think you will find that the judiciary will still find him guilty, not because he is but because they will be running scared of public opinion

one minute you say he is not guilty and now you think public opinion will uphold the conviction? Can't make your posts out ,so if the conviction stands should he finish the sentence he was given? As he has served less than half of the five years, agree with a previous post there should be a code of conduct for players set up as to what convictions would be tolerated to be allowed to continue a career, which would have put to bed this crime (or non crime if he gets off) .