Cornwall Football Forum

Torpoint Athletic

Just looking throught results from yesterday's games. And can't believe Torpoint have been beaten at home by Penryn in the QF's of the cup. I think they are fantastic club with lots of potential,but the league table doesn't lie & with Bovey Falmouth winning & cullumpton taking a point off Saltash what is a disappointing season could turn out to be the worst in a long time for the club. Are the club moving in the right direction? And are Darren Eddy Edwards & Carl Curtis doing a good job there?

Money brings results - most unfortunate because it really is beginning to get to the point that this sort of score is taking all the competivness out of the game. I would suggest that if Bodmin want to win by this sort of score, they move to a hihger league as even they must be starting to realise what is the point of playing teams in this league because they know they will never be defeated !

Torpoint surely weren't at full strength???

You'de be supprised how a scoreline can get away from you.....

St Austell at the weekend took all their chances really well and bagged 7.....

It was only the 85th minute and I said at 4-2 we may still pull this back..... how wrong was I !!!!

Torpoint will keep plugging away and I'm sure they will cause a few upsets during the remainder of the season.

I'm with u Rocket, nobody at this level should be getting beat by that many. As for Big Al I think u are guessing the budget situation mate, I bet u there isn't a massive amount of difference in there budgets. £100-£150 max spread that over a squad & your paying players £10 more then Torpoint. As I said I bet it's not even that much! Not enough to warrant any 10-0 defeat that's embarrassing & players,& managers should be ashamed of themselves

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BIG AL" data-cid="231004" data-time="1361396060"><p>

Money brings results - most unfortunate because it really is beginning to get to the point that this sort of score is taking all the competivness out of the game. I would suggest that if Bodmin want to win by this sort of score, they move to a hihger league as even they must be starting to realise what is the point of playing teams in this league because they know they will never be defeated !</p></blockquote>not so true elburton beat them this season 1-0 down there place

It always seems to come back to money.....

Bodmin FA Vase winnings (just from the FA Website to Round five this season) - £6,800

If League Winners - £2,000.00

If Throgmorton League Cup Winners - £1,500.00

If Senior Cup Winners - ?

Total above = £10,300 in prize money minimum.....

If Bodmin win all of the above, then they have additional budget to spend......

With regards promotion, it has been proven with Truro City, that there is NO Business sense whatsoever, in a team from Cornwall trying to compete at the higher levels.... even the Western League.

As they say - "In life, it is better to be a big fish in a small pond than and Small Fish in a big pond".

I don't see what difference the money makes to be honest it doesn't matter how much Money they will/could win in prize money this year. The same group of players are gonna be available to them next year, just cause they win 10k this year it doesn't mean all of a sudden they are appealing for Steven Gerrard & Frank Lampard to come & play there football. My point is no team should be getting done 10-0 in this league, it's embarrassing to think those boys get paid. Bodmin are a good side,not unbeatable as Elburton have already shown this year. But Torpoint who I regard as a great club should be ashamed of themselves they have a great following & I feel sorry for any of them that travelled & watched that shambles. What's going on over there? Talk of players unhappy? Management unhappy?

Yeh, perhaps as a club its better to be a big fish in a small pond, bit is it as a player?

Surely you aren't developing to your full potential playing opposition of in most cases a lot less ability.

Its got to the point where winning the league and cups in the south west has become EASY for Bodmin.

Surely players with any kind of ambition would benefit from challenging themselves at a higher level?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="albert" data-cid="231037" data-time="1361455069"><p>

There is something badly wrong with the first team at the moment. body language says players not happy, fans are complaning and we will be lucky to avoid being a flop this season. thank goodnes for penzance.come on point - fix it </p></blockquote>

If Parkway get runner-up there will be a lot of Plymouth based Bodmin players heading there next year & maybe a few Plymouth based Buckland players. And I know that that the wheels are in motion & Mr Hillson has already spoken about this to players of interest to him. However even though they are favourites to finish 2nd, wouldn't they be a big case of egg of your face/touchline shoes if they didn't get 2nd?

Hopefully if Parkway do gain promotion and manage to tempt some of Bodmins players to play at a higher standard, it may make the peninsula league a lot more competitive with numerous teams surely fancying themselves for the league next season. Agree with most that there is no way score lines such as 10-0 should be happening, especially against a well organised club like Torpoint. What actually happened, i know they obviously had a few out hence the bare 11, but bare 11 isn't an excuse in my opinion - did they have second/third team players playing in their place?

I think thats a very short sighted opinion to say bodmin find it easy to win games...I played for a good swl side a few years ago and if anything its harder as 1. every game you play is treated like a cup final by your opposition and 2. everyone expects you to demolish teams and sometimes that just doesn't happen. Bodmin are where they are because gilby has assembled a superb squad and they shouldn't be knocked for staying where they are. Financially it just isn't viable and fans certainly can't afford the money it costs now to travel great distances if their team gains promotion.

I think thats a very short sighted opinion to say bodmin find it easy to win games...I played for a good swl side a few years ago and if anything its harder as 1. every game you play is treated like a cup final by your opposition and 2. everyone expects you to demolish teams and sometimes that just doesn't happen. Bodmin are where they are because gilby has assembled a superb squad and they shouldn't be knocked for staying where they are. Financially it just isn't viable and fans certainly can't afford the money it costs now to travel great distances if their team gains promotion.

What great distances are there to travel? Bristol is only 2 hours away 2.5 hours to Wiltshire at the most, using travel as an excuse is just a kopout. Cornish teams that don't take promotion are letting our County down whether it is Bodmin or any other club that get an opportunity.

Here we go again ..Last week it was Darren Gilbert was leaving Bodmin and they would be falling apart at the seams...Now its Bodmin's fault that there players are doing what they enjoy and get paid to do ..Play footie and score goals..Maybe congratulations are in order to Adam Carter for scoring seven goals in a game..Well done to Bodmin i say ..I want us to win another treble !!! :thumbsup:

Here we go again ..Last week it was Darren Gilbert was leaving Bodmin and they would be falling apart at the seams...Now its Bodmin's fault that there players are doing what they enjoy and get paid to do ..Play footie and score goals..Maybe congratulations are in order to Adam Carter for scoring seven goals in a game..Well done to Bodmin i say ..I want us to win another treble !!! :thumbsup:

There is no team good enough to stop Bodmin winning the treble, shame but that's the way it is and probably always will be in Cornwall. Falmouth did it St Blazey

did it, de- values Cornish football we are just a laughing stock but if that's the way it is then we will just have to accept it and go watch the rugby, such a pity.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BIG AL" data-cid="231004" data-time="1361396060"><p>

Money brings results - most unfortunate because it really is beginning to get to the point that this sort of score is taking all the competivness out of the game. I would suggest that if Bodmin want to win by this sort of score, they move to a hihger league as even they must be starting to realise what is the point of playing teams in this league because they know they will never be defeated !</p></blockquote>

not so true elburton beat them this season 1-0 down there place Attendance 42 is that correct?

Any takers on Torpoint vs Saltash tomorrow? I'm gonna go for a draw, Saltash had a bad result against Cullumpton last weekend & after Torpoints embarrassing defeat mid-week surely there will be a big response. I hope Torpoint give a good performance for there fans & with a couple of new faces available I'm sure they will. If they don't then maybe the problems are bigger than we realise

Hard to follow the good times of Stuart Dudley but Darren Edwards is a honest bloke that wears his heart on his sleave and Karl Curtis is a top coach that any club would love to work under. Lets give the pair a chance, and i think they are at the best place to do that as Torpoint have great fans and people in charge of club.

Torpoint surely weren't at full strength???

You'de be supprised how a scoreline can get away from you.....

St Austell at the weekend took all their chances really well and bagged 7.....

It was only the 85th minute and I said at 4-2 we may still pull this back..... how wrong was I !!!!

Torpoint will keep plugging away and I'm sure they will cause a few upsets during the remainder of the season.

1st upset!!!

Well done Torpoint, great 3 points there!!!