Cornwall Football Forum

Steve Massey confirms interest in saving the Football Club

Indeed the gauntlet has now been thrown down by the ex-City player and manager!

Well at least someone has at last expressed a definite interest in the Football Club.

Steve is indeed the first one to come out in public, via an interview on BBC Radio Cornwall this afternoon, by suggesting he is hopeful that either a deal can be done or that he can help in whatever way he can. His main thrust being to assist in seein the club remain playing at Treyew Road at a standard they have been use to over recent seasons.

He has put in a "bid for the club", but as he says, really what is there to bid for – carpets, curtains and blinds, not much else! The players are not on contracts.

He's now had a few minutes with the Administrators and admits to be frustrated at the speed things are moving.

One of his main concerns is that he would like to get together with the owners of the land to find out more about the lease situation.

But whatever, he is not keen on going it alone and this is where he would be appearing to call for the other interested parties to perhaps come forward and for all of them to see if they can get together to save the Football Club.

It's been proven in the past it is a weakness for one man to do it alone, and the Administrators know he would be keen to join forces with whoever has shown interest.

As for the financial outlay involved - that for the moment remains confidential.

The main concern though is the lease. He's spoken to the owners a couple of times, but again it seems difficult to get them to come back to him. And this issue could be a deal-breaker - without transparency, no progress will be made and Steve will walk away.

In fact, the longer no news is received from them, the question of "what's their agenda" becomes more serious and a bigger mystery.

He admits to time running out, the players deadline is fast approaching, however Steve Massey suggests that he would be willing to commit to something financially if "everything is in place", however he also points out that there is still a lot to speak about.

But there is potential for a monetary sum to come to extend the window of hope as far as keeping the players, if the right assurances are there.

BBC Radio Cornwall also invited Kate Breese, the Administrator, to speak to them but no one was available for comment.

Its not hard to work out the owners of the lands interest. Charge a handsome lease (which won't have longevity built in) until they decide to develop the site or sell on for a tidy profit. Of course who actually owns the land in the murky world of business is not hard to work out is it. Nod nod wink wink, you know what I mean, you could'nt make it up.

Steve is better then the last person.

Understatement of the century!

Plus CTB's comment is particularly relevant: Steve's comments about the substitution of Cody Cooke indicate the type of clash possible. As far as I can make out from games I've seen and talking to people who've seen all the others, that decision was about the only "wrong" decision made by the management team, which to be fair is an amazing record. Lee Hodges has been en eye-opening manager, both of football and players. To read that if the club folds he might look for a job away from management made me sad. He has the potential to manage at a much higher level. I guess the indignities and difficulties caused by Heaney have knocked the stuffing out of even him.

Even though he tought the Totton substitution of Cooke was wrong, I'm sure a man of Steve Massey's experience recognises a good manager when he sees one. But for (another) losing Euromillions ticket I would double Lee's wages!

From what I have been told by sources at the club, Steve is willing to help save the club as long as he has a cast iron guarantee from the administrators that Kevin Heaney is in no way associated to Jojo Investco Ltd who now own the ground. So far that information hasnt been forthcoming.

Being a Argyle supporter I thought we were gone last season. To the Truro City supporters I really hope there is light at the end of the tunnel. You will come out of it stronger.

How many times have we heard someone is getting a syndicate together to save a club. Rarely do they come up with the money in the required timescale.

Jojo and Heaney. Seems very likely from other postings.

Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is the train coming in the opposite direction.

I rate his chances at less then 5%.

But at least someone is trying.

How many times have we heard someone is getting a syndicate together to save a club. Rarely do they come up with the money in the required timescale.

Jojo and Heaney. Seems very likely from other postings.

Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is the train coming in the opposite direction.

I rate his chances at less then 5%.

But at least someone is trying.

5% is better than 0% though!

From what I have been told by sources at the club, Steve is willing to help save the club as long as he has a cast iron guarantee from the administrators that Kevin Heaney is in no way associated to Jojo Investco Ltd who now own the ground. So far that information hasnt been forthcoming.

Of course it has'nt, I've been saying it since when!!!!!! Thats the end game them - its over in my opinion.

So you've got

Dan McAuley

From Wiki

Dan McCauley is a major share holder of Sutton Harbour Holdings plc, in which he currently holds a 30% stake. Ranked at 723 on The Times "Rich List 2004" for the UK, his main source of wealth is the company Rotolok Holdings plc which is based in Tiverton.

McCauley was formerly chairman of Plymouth Argyle F.C. when he presided over what most supporters consider the darker years of Argyle's recent history, to the extent that he and his family received several death threats from extremely aggrieved Argyle supporters. In 1995, he purchased Drake's Island in Plymouth Sound with the intention of turning it into a hotel

Chris Lingard

Who is a managing partner in Follett Stock who took Truro to court for debts of £645,000.

The older... Has hit the nail on the head. It's all about the terms of the current lease. Normally a lease will be cancelled in the event of the liquidation or bankruptcy of the tenant. This will allow the land included in that lease to revert to the freeholders whoever they are.

What they can then do with the land will depend on any prevailing conditions and covenants included in their purchase agreement , subject of course to planning restrictions.

I assume that the administrators know who the freeholder is and terms of the lease and will be able to advise any bona fide purchaser accordingly.

As far as I can see, the purchase price for Truro City will be negligible as indicated elsewhere as there are minimal assets available and, even the club's status in the football pyramid is very much in doubt.