Cornwall Football Forum

Radio Cornwall

Radio Cornwall  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Do you listen more, the same or less to Radio Cornwall Sports Programme compared to last saeason?

• More
    • The Same
    • Less

There are obviously some that don't realise I stood down from the BBC Radio Cornwall Sports team in the summer! However I thought I would still share the below letter that I received today with you!!!

Hi Dave,

I have e-mailed Radio Cornwall and Emma Vardy a couple of times about their sports coverage but it appears to have fallen on deaf ears.

As an ex P.E teacher I am interested in all sport but a few weeks ago rather than feature commentary on the Redruth-Launceston rugby match, they chose Manchester v Cornish Pirates. This week they chose Southend v Redruth as their main match rather than Launceston v Mounts Bay which was so much more a local derby and of interest to the majority of Cornish listeners.

I realise that rugby should feature but my main gripe is that on a Saturday morning, I and hundreds of other listeners would like to know what Peninsula League fixtures are taking place that day on their sports bulletins at 7.45 and 8.45 a.m.

Last week for example they featured the Sunderland v Newcastle fixture/interviews in the early show, now what relevance is that to Cornish people who are unlikely to venture that far. All Premiership news is covered extensively on national radio and this happens time after time.......I could go on!!

Last week we had two fixtures in the Peninsula League....Bodmin v Falmouth and Launceston v Elburton but no mention of results and this is replicated week after week.

Finally, I realise that Truro City is our top soccer team in the County but should not be at the expense of all the other clubs inc. all the junior clubs who never get a mention.

This is but a snapshot of my concerns but this is also views shared by many people I meet when visiting different sporting venues.

I hope you will have some input to improve coverage.

Regards

The Saturday Afternoon show on radio cornwall is so bad now!!Emma Vardy knows nothing about local sport,Ross Ellis knows abit,but never tells Vardy to stop talking rubbish.Surely the bbc can see the ratings have gone down!Vardys career is going the same way as j.ross and russel brand on the bbc!(Down camborne hill,faster than a dodge Viper!

Bring back Dave Deacon!!!

Just started a vote on the topic.

I think if it wasn't for Ross Ellis proping her up on the show Vadar would fall to bits.

The only reason I tune in now is to find out the Redruth Rugby score. Lets be honest if you want to find out football related information, you might as well log on here after you get back from the clubhouse and hear it from the horses mouth. :drink:

I received a very belated reply from the BBC addressing my concerns and I thought I would like to share the response I had from the BBC with you.

Ms Causey, the Managing Editor of BBC Radio Cornwall, is of the opinion that Emma Vardy is an outstanding broadcaster and producer with a detailed knowledge of sport at local, national and international levels meaning there are no plans to make changes to the presentation or production of the show.

I guess we are all now going to have to put up with what goes on and back off because it doesn't make any difference because they simply are not listening.

Tommy Matthews Posted Today, 12:12 PM

I'm afraid I don't listen at all now for any reason.

If things improve then I'll have another go but it's an insult to people's intelligence at the moment.

Have to agree with Tommy on this one. Its funny listening to someone get things wrong for about a minute then its just dedious. We cant even say she 'at least she looks nice' because its the bloody radio.

Im not saying your show was perfect Dave but at least you know where you were with it 5.30pm to 5.45pm Truro City and then Local coverage from 5.45pm to 6pm Now its terrible and a bit embarressing for anybody involved with it. Probably even more embarressing than Tom Trust's old Yellow jumper <_< (only joking Tom )

Just as a side issue, It would be good to have the results on local teletext too but I guess even that is too much effort.

It does seem that local coverage is almost non-existant for football now.

I've noticed that the Pirates appear to get more coverage than other clubs, either rugby or football.

Maybe once Ross Ellis has settled in we'll get more football coverage.

I remember last season travelling up to Melksham in the Vase, an absolutely atrocious day weather-wise, but at least we had Dave Deacon with us giving the listeners updates, and also getting a lot of air-time.

Listening on a Saturday afternoon for live updates and results means having to switch between RC and Atlantic to see who has the more recent updates.

As for local results on teletext - my freesat box doesn't seem to understand that pressing the text button on ITV means I want teletext, nothing seems to happen, and CeeFax doesn't often have the results until the next day, and most are only Western League level.

I think the problem with the BBC is that it is not commercial (god forbid). The programme editors have nobody to answer to because they are following orders from on high regarding local radio sports programmes.

It is perhaps wrong to have a go at Emma Vardy because although she is very limited in her ability, it is quite clear that the powers to be have ear marked her for fast tracking. Which mean’s ‘let us stick our heads in the sand because we are right and you are wrong’. The girl knows a bit about surfing because I think she is a coach or something but that is it.

Many people complain about BBC Radio Cornwall sports coverage but how many people actually do or did listen to it? Are there now less listeners or more? If more then the BBC can say up yours because we are right.

We can look at BBC from a national view point and take the Ross/Brand episode. The problems we have in BBC Radio Cornwall stems directly from the top. In other words if they can do what they like so can we. I watched SKY TV a few days ago and the chap they were interviewing said something like 'BBC should get rid of the SCHOOLBOY that sanctioned the show’. And there perhaps lies the problem. Who is dictating what at both national and local level? Why are there so many youngsters straight out of university going into the business deciding what the people of this country wants to watch or listen to. I get the impression it is one big game for them. I agree the BBC had gone old fashioned and thankfully they have reversed it. But at what cost to the viewer or listener.

If you take BBC Radio Devon you know that you will hear full match reports from Plymouth Argyle in that area, Torquay United in their area and Exeter City in theirs. You also get Rugby reports from the county’s top rugby clubs Plymouth Albion and Exeter Chiefs and regular updates from these two, but virtually nothing else. So local sport is not really catered for even in Devon.

If you look at that scenario then you can see why BBC Cornwall are saying who are the top teams in the county? Cornish Pirates and Cornish All Blacks followed by Truro City. So is BBC Cornwall trying to follow BBC Devon?

If you look at Devon, every area has a strong ‘local commercial radio’. So if you want to hear easy listening etc then they are quite happy to allow those listeners to go there. In Cornwall there is just Atlantic FM if I’m not wrong so everyone is upset except the rugby people.

What we don’t know is what the listening figures are. It could be that BBC Radio Cornwall are saying forget the hassle we are going to run on the same lines as BBC Radio Devon. Quite frankly we as listeners or viewers don’t count in the big scheme of things. The bottom line is the viewing or listening FIGURES. If they are holding up then we have not got a chance of changing anything.

Every game every kick etc should be changed because it is in fact incorrect. BBC does not have time for live local sport on a Saturday afternoon especially in Cornwall. I think the powers to be at BBC Radio Cornwall are being asked to follow a national type strategy for a Saturday afternoon and that is to broadcast the top sports clubs in those areas. There is no DEDICATED Radio Sports channel anymore. Those days sadly have gone.

We can moan all we want because it will not change anything. As many of you have already said you don’t listen to the programme anymore and I am one of them.

Do you think we are partly to blame for the BBC not telling us the results of local league matches.

I put myself in this bracket along with everyone else who would rather post their results on here instead of phoning them through to Radio Cornall. Perhaps by running the Combo website and running a results thread I am more to blame than most.

I am not defending the Sports show as their coverage of local football has been greatly reduced and to fill in the time now has reports of Premiership matches or extended rugby news. Aslo another rason why we all switch off is the inane questioning of interviewees by Ms Vardy. Her questions are not well thought out and are not thought provoking. Why ask a manager "What did you think when their goal went in?" How stupid, what do you think the answer would be or should be if they we'rnt on the radio!

What the programme needs is to collect some interviews from local football people during the week to interspace with the "live" interviews on a Saturday so we can go back to our half-hour. Plus they need to make contact with the local leagues fixture secretaries to get the results. We don't need them dead on 5:30pm but say 5 to 6 giving them time. Why do they rely on people phoning in their results when a half dozen phone calls from them to the fixtures secretaries would do the same job. At the end of each Pz Reserves home match I phone in the result to the combo sectretary as do all the other clubs so by say 5:30 the results are all in. A quick phone call from the BBC say at 5:45 and they could be on air at 5:55 with them.

Just a thought BBC

CTB

My yellow jumper,which kept me warm, was, of course, perfect for radio. :)

We live in an age of denial. The nonsense in the reply that Ken Reed received is so much the opposite of the truth yet it can be trotted out as fact. :o Think how often politicians do it, whether over domestic or EU matters. It has become the stuff of corporate management, too. Think how often you hear it said, every summer, that exam standards aren't falling. Yet the CBI is concerned at how many school leavers have poor standards of literacy or numeracy. Old Adolf knew the value of the oft-repeated terminalogical inexactitude. :blink:

The programme is a joke, now. Don't imagine poor Ross has any influence over what is broadcast: he doesn't. What has happened is down to the BBC's national approach to regional sports programmes: focus on your three or four top fixtures to the exclusion of all else and the audience figures will rise, and the Beeb is very ratings-driven (hence the huge fee to the appalling J Ross :SM_carton: ).

We were subjected to an interesting day a couple of years ago, when Emma arrived, during which we were not only told of this new policy by some blokes from further afield (we told them it wouldn't work :glare: ) but we were also told that one our aims should be to attract more listeners, including "people who don't like sport" :huh: . Well, they must be turning on in droves to listen to non-stop commentary! :lol: If Aunt Demelza knew that her great nephew Treve, who rode in show-jumping events as a hobby, was going to be mentioned on the radio, she'd tune in to listen. She'd never tune in to listen to Ross, Dave or me waxing lyrical about another Yetton goal. :wacko:

(Sigh!) :(

Guest Man on the Post

It would be interesting to know how many complaints Radio Cornwall have received about the Saturday Sports Programme. Does anybody know if they have to release this infomation under the Freedom of Information Act if a request is made?

SORRY BUT THE SPORTS PROGRAMME IS TOTAL RUBBISH WITHOUT MR.DEACON,MATHEWS AND TRUST WHO ALL KNOW AND PLAYED AND MANAGED AT LOCAL LEVEL THE SHOW IS A JOKE CALLING PERRANWELL ,PERRANWORTHAL A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO .WE ALL KNOW THAT PERRANWORTHAL DONT HAVE A FOOTBALL TEAM . I SAID ON HERE A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO ABOUT THE MUSIC BEING PLAYED DURING THE SPORTS PROGRAMME AND SOMEONE REPLIED THEY DONT PLAY MUSIC DURING THE SHOW,NOT ONLY DO THEY STILL PLAY MUSIC BUT THEY SEEMED TO HAVE INCREASED IT, AS TOMMY RIGHTLY SAID IF YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO ARSENAL V WHOEVERE LISTEN TO RADIO 5.

At one time the programme not only covered local football and rugby from senior to junior level, but also broadcast national results together with lots of items on other sports as well, so EVERYone's interest was covered. Every Cornish football or rugby fan has a local and national favourite. The current offering is a pathetic facsimile of a proper Cornish sports programme and the Radio Cornwall management are once again demonstrating their ineptitude and head-in-the-sand attitude.

Guest Urban Spaceman

Thanks for your e-mail regarding BBC Radio Cornwall. I appreciate you're unhappy with the range of sports reporting on the station which you feel is too focussed on covering rugby to the detriment of football coverage. I also note your concerns that Emma Vardy is a very poor presenter who doesn't have the sports knowledge required for the programmes she appears on. Our coverage is determined by the big stories and most entertaining talking points. There is certainly no bias against or in favour of certain sports and I'm sorry you've been so disappointed by the choice on offer recently. The decisions on what to include in the station's sports coverage are somewhat subjective and we recognise that not everyone will agree with the final running order or content which is aired. It is a difficult area of editorial judgement and one on which we're grateful for the feedback. We also don't engage any presenter unless we believe they're competent and can meet the specific demands required of them. Emma Vardy is an experienced sports broadcaster and she's previously covered the Cricket World Cup, Premiership Football, Champions League, the Lions Rugby Tour and even Formula One racing. Nevertheless, the range of tastes and opinions held by our audience is so diverse that it's inevitable some listeners will dislike or disapprove of certain presenters. It's a very rare radio personality who meets with everyone's approval, and it's clear that opinions on individual presenters can vary considerably. We do research listener opinions about our presenters as well as monitoring complaints and please be assured that your comments about the sports coverage on the station have been included in our audience log. This is circulated widely within the BBC and made available to many BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, channel controllers and other senior managers. The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future programming and content.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us with the strength of your views.

Regards

Alec Mackenzie

BBC Complaints

I wet myself last saturday when she was talking to a reporter about the Pirates, the reporter said that it's a shame that more people are not turning up for Pirates games, only just over 2000 for the last home game, Vardy replies sucking air in, "I wonder why that is then?"

Reporter "Supporters can be very fickle"

Vardy "I guess they can be, anyway, *sucks air in* thank you for that and don't forget you can hear live commentary on the whole of the Pirates match live tomorrow here on BBC Radio Cornwall" *sucks more air in*

How think do you have to be to realise that this season, every time they've had a pirates home commentary match on BBC Radio Vardy, Cornwall, the attendance has dropped, these degrees from the very poor university college falmouth must have been bought in bulk from the far east.

If the li'l maid has "covered" Premiership and Championship football, I'd love to hear some of the archives if they exist; and exactly WHAT did the listeners make of her, I wonder? Her inane questions - which do nothing to support the earlier contention that she is "an outstanding broadcaster and producer with a detailed knowledge of sport at local, national and international levels" - and slow-wittedness when it comes to ad-lib responses to answers she gets would have any Premiership or Championship manager or player rocking with laughter. I presume Urban Spaceman has merely copied the answer he received. I hope you replied, Mr Spaceman. "It's a very rare radio personality who meets with everyone's approval." Even rarer, one who pleases nobody!

There are two issues here, really. Firstly, Emma doesn't appear to be up to it :SM_carton: . Secondly, the BBC's decision to ditch the old, slicker, wide-ranging, comprehensive, popular programme for the deadly dull, minority-interest new format :wacko: (by "minority" I'm not suggesting rugby is a minority sport; far from it. I mean numerically speaking only a minority of Cornish sports fans will be interested in what the programme offers). The first point is the fault of the station but they can't be blamed for the "one size fits all" policy :angry: - though you'd have thought they'd have listened to the people who knew - the reporters :drink: - who told them the proposed format WOULDN'T WORK in Cornwall - and then had the gonads to tell HQ :o . An earlier point made on this thread also needs to be emphasised: the blanket coverage of Pirates home games must be affecting their takings. In all the years I was with the programme we became aware of spectators at games who also tuned into Radio Cornwall :rolleyes: to keep up with all the other games that would be affecting THEIR club's situation :yahoo: .

There's an odd parallel here, too, with the Brand/Ross issue :huh: . The news tells us that the Beeb doesn't want to sack Ross because it doesn't want to be seen to bowing to public pressure :glare: . Likewise Radio Cornwall Sport. Which are both ironical as you and I and the rest of the public PAY FOR THE RUDDY BBC! :angry2:

(Bigger sigh!)

Ross has been suspended for three months. Do you think the media will just forget. NAH!!!!!!!!! Just like BBC Radio Cornwall there is a distinct lacking of guts over the spending of our licence fee.

Well i have read most of the posts on here and i was going to mention some points! but they have all been aired! Radio Cornwall on a saturday afternoon is a joke! what is the point of going for a match report when the game is 3 minutes old and what is a half time Result? Kermit the frog could do a better job! Even the St Ives motor co .co .uk advert on Atlantic fm only lasts 30 second or so :c: We ain't all thick down here me ansum! David White did it a few times and wether he knew much about sport or no it was easy listening! Now i don't even bother!

Perranarworthal are having a very good season don't you agree? :yahoo:

I tuned in at the half time whistle yesterday whilst at Treyew Road, and guess what? Pirates against Bedford was the match on live commentary, then a bit about Redruth, then the All Blacks and Mounts Bay. A quick mention of Truro's half time score, but virtually straight back to rugby again.

Even on Ceefax digital all the sports stories and results were rugby.

There are obviously only 5 teams in Cornwall, 1 of which is football, and no other that play on a Saturday afternoon - perhaps a few of us could meet up and form a football team that plays in a league in Cornwall, on a Saturday afternoon? The Cornish Forummers AFC. :D

Apparently Plymouth Argyle lost to Sheffield wednesday yesterday, well thats what vardy said, twice in 15 minutes near the end of the show.

And talking about teh end of teh show, I was out of the county yesterday, so at 17.45 we were given teh scores from the rugby and truro's game, at 17.56 she gave us a round up of the day's scores......yep you guessed it teh same results that were given out only 11 minutes before hand, nothing from thr SWPL............utter tosh.

The sooner they can get a decent running order with correct times the better, I do not want to listen to premiership scores, interviews or results I can get those updated every 2 minutes from Radio 5 live, radio cornwall should stick to cornish results.

TIME FOR VARDY TO GO

Don't just read this post.....VOTE

Luckily for me I don't have an aerial on my car so can only listen to CDs :rolleyes: I satisfy my need for local football news with this forum and CTB's wonderful site :clapper: (and occasionally with the Indy but only if I want a laugh)

I've just had a poke round that Pirates site and I must say they're an amusing bunch aren't they??!! :D Passionate about their sport though & I admire that :thumbsup:

On a different note isn't it quiet round here with Anita away? :blink:

Found this on BBC Radio Cornwall web site.

Meet Emma Vardy

Listen to Emma Vardy every Saturday and Sunday from 2pm. On Saturdays hear all the sport action and all the results. On Sundays hear commentary on the Cornish Pirates home games and keep in touch with Cornish people and traditions around the world.

Emma grew up watching football in Southampton before moving to London to begin her broadcasting career as a junior at Sky News. Despite gaining a scholarship to the Royal College of Music (remember her xylophone playing at the Royal Cornwall Show !) she decided her heart was set on broadcasting and spent a year working behind the scenes in the newsroom before becoming an Editorial Assistant at Sky Sports.

Emma's covered the Cricket World Cup, Premiership Football, Champions League, the Lions Rugby Tour and even Formula One racing.

A former graduate of University College Falmouth Emma gained a Masters degree in Broadcast Journalism and was nominated as the Reuters Student Journalist of the Year.

After deciding to leave London behind for Cornwall and she joined BBC Cornwall as a news reporter. Since then Emma has covered many different stories across the county and now returns to work on her favourite subject, sport!

Emma presents BBC Cornwall's successful Saturday programme bringing you all the sporting action as it happens. With a dedicated team of reporters providing even more live football and rugby commentary it's essential listening for sports fans in Cornwall.

Not content with merely reporting Emma plays in the Cornwall Netball League and is also a competitive surfer. She can be found after work spending most afternoons at the beach, yes even in winter.

On Sundays Emma presents Cornwall Connected which features stories about Cornish heritage and tradition around the world. Every fortnight the programme includes full match commentary when the Cornish Pirates are at home.

This was the bit I liked. ‘Emma's covered the Cricket World Cup, Premiership Football, Champions League, the Lions Rugby Tour and even Formula One racing’. So the garbage about her COVERING meant she was one of a number of editorial assistants, that is not the same as the BBC seem to think that she herself actually presented or covered those sports. I think she should have stuck to music.

I wonder whose decision it was for her to leave such a lucrative post in London to dissapear off the map in Cornwall (no disrespect to Cornwall but I think you know what I mean). Cornwall is where you start NOT WHERE YOU END UP.

Salvation may be close. I hear rumours emanating from Stalag Radio Cornwall that Ms Vardy may soon be given a free transfer 'up country', as least on a temporary basis. So next month could we see a return of possibly David White or will Ross Ellis be given the show? Either would do an excellent job or will there be another given the poisoned chalice. But whoever is in the hot seat there still needs to be a change of policy regarding sports coverage - and quick

I'm sure we all hope that's right, but don't be too hasty.

Whoever comes in I'm sure will do a better job in terms of the accuracy of reports and inane questions etc, but that won't necessarily mean a change in direction from the way that sport is covered. We may have a change in presenter but still the ridiculous BBC line on who is covered each Saturday.

Let's hope for the best and bring back someone who knows what they're talking about. David is without doubt the slickest broadcaster I've worked with there, alongside Stewart Gardner (who's now a presenter on MUTV), but with a daytime programme (I guess he still does it!) how many days a week can he work?

I THINK WE WERE SPOILED FOR TOO LONG! DAVID IS JUST A SUPERB PRESENTER WHO HAS A GOOD KNOWLEDGE OF FOOTBALL AND WASNT A BAD FINISHER IN HIS DAY I MAY ADD! TOMMY COULD TELL IT HOW IT IS,YOU FELT LIKE YOU WERE THERE SOMETIMES! HE KNEW HOW TO TELL YOU BECAUSE HE'S BEEN THERE AND DONE IT ALL IN LOCAL FOOTBALL.WHAT DEACS DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT LOCAL FOOTBALL YOU COULD FIT ONTO A POSTAGE STAMP,USED TO LOVE HEARING HIS STATS AND ALONG WITH MATT SANDOZ THEY WERE A GREAT TEAM. TOM TRUST WAS ENJOYABLE TO LISTEN TO BECAUSE OF HIS ENTHUSIASM AND ENJOYMENT OF THE GAME WE ALL LOVE.IVE BEEN INTERVIEWED DOZENS OF TIMES ON THE SHOW OVER THE YEARS AND I DONT THINK I WAS EVER ASKED A CRAP QUESTION BY ANY OF THEM.(PROBABLY GAVE A FEW CRAP ANSWERS MIND!!!) WHO CARES WHAT THE WEATHER WAS LIKE? OR WHO HAVE YOU GOT NEXT WEEK?!!! IM NOT IN THE HABIT OF SLAGGING PEOPLE OFF THAT ARE DOING THEIR BEST BUT I DONT THINK EMMA KNOWS ENOUGH ABOUT WHAT SHE IS TALKING ABOUT.LET HER DO THE NETBALL AND HOCKEY OR WHATEVER,AND GIVE ROSS ELLIS A BIGGER INPUT ON THE FOOTBALL SIDE OF THINGS MAYBE.IM A BIG RUGBY FAN AND ENJOY HEARING THE RESULTS BUT JUST TRY TO DISTRIBUTE THE SPORTS EVENLY SO IT APPEALS TO A WIDER RANGE.I ALWAYS USED TO MAKE SURE I WAS BACK IN THE CAR FOR 5.30 TO HEAR DEACS RESULTS SERVICE FROM SWPL TO MINING 3 TO HEAR HOW ALL YOU'RE MATES HAVE GOT ON BEFORE YOU START TEXTING THE MICKY OUT OF THEM!!! I DONT EVEN BOTHER PUTTING THE RADIO ON NOW ON A SATURDAY,I JUST TEND TO WAIT UNTIL I GET HOME AND LOOK ON HERE FOR THE RESULTS.ITS SUCH A SHAME HOW SOMETHING SO GOOD HAS GOT SO BAD IN LESS THAN A YEAR! ANYWAY IM DONE,SORRY TO HAVE BORED YOU! BUT I REALLY DO HOPE THAT IT GETS SORTED SOONER RATHER THAN LATER. ALL THE BEST,RAPPO X :c:

Rappo don't forget the time you helped out at Saltash!

Harry Richardson and Darren Gilbert both sent off after an altercation in which the changing room door came off worst! You managed to get Gilby to come on afterwards for an interview in which we touched on his impeccable disciplinary record :D:D:D

Those were the days :thumbsup:

I believe that could have been against Falmouth

Don't think either player appeared for Falmouth? No Harry Richardson was definitely playing for Saltash, and for a split second, if my memory serves me right, Gilby practically followed him into the home changing room. However, I guess he changed his mind. Whatever, the next moment, a hole appeared in the Saltash changing room door, from the inside!

I suspect, it might have been Saltash v Liskeard. Although it could have been while Gilby was at St Blazey! However, don't think he was playing for Bodmin - has he played for anyone else? Help!

pidge,what a memory!!! it was saltash v falmouth dave.harry went for pro foul on wayne brown after 5 mins and gilby had a scrap with lee fox after 15!.think they both went? 10 v 9 game for 75 mins and still ended up 0-0.got a feeling ref was ian spurling?? or mr volz? get you're programmes out pidge!!!!! remember the fish being nice on the way home more dave!!!!! :thumbsup:

i remember that game very well i was at the game and when gilbert got sent off (playing for saltash he went up to the falmouth changing room he said after it was a mistake and he went to the wrong one but i think he was after some more of what went on on the pitch that day