Cornwall Football Forum

Who will be the new Plymouth Argyle Manager

When Plymouth appoint there new manager i would like Neil Warnock is given the job on a 1 year contract to see how he does and if he does well extend his contract longer . 

Hope Plymouth stay up i think they will i have supported them for 63 years since my dad took me to watch my 1st match and it was in the Combination League Plymouth Vs Spurs and my dads hero Jimmy Greaves was playin his 1st game since returning from playing in Italy 

6 hours ago, St Darren said:

So you’ve said before!  But where is the future planning in having Warnock?

It would be the worst decision the club could make.  

Agree St Darren, Neil Warnock wouldn't be a very progressive move!

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was April 1st joke when i saw Rooney was going to be the new Plymouth Manager its a crazy decision i will predict he will be sacked before Christmas with Plymouth Bottom of the league .Hope im wrong I wish him all the best brilliant player for club and Country but manager material no chance 

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

I thought it was April 1st joke when i saw Rooney was going to be the new Plymouth Manager its a crazy decision i will predict he will be sacked before Christmas with Plymouth Bottom of the league .Hope im wrong I wish him all the best brilliant player for club and Country but manager material no chance 

I certainly hope you are wrong 100%. I think he deserves all the backing Argyle supporters can give him to at least give him a chance.

It seems you got to be a Scouser to be a Plymouth manager thats 3 in a row so Pep would of been wasting his time going for the job because he isnt a Scouser .Do wish Rooney well at least he should have some good contacts . Dissapointed that Joe Edwards is leaving the club and going to Bristol Rovers he should be 1st name on team sheet every week kept Plymouth up and everything should be done to keep him

Sorry to be a pessimist..not convinced,  at signing Rooney as a manager. His track record as a manager In the championship is indifferent,  to say the least.

With Plymouth's budget,  a lot lower than most, its going to be a challenge. 

Need someone with more prudency. 

Of course, unless Wayne , is going to dig into his own pockets!

On a positive note,  Rooney will enjoy the nights out in Plymouth,  they can be lively!

On 26/05/2024 at 22:17, Bobby Thomas said:

Sorry to be a pessimist..not convinced,  at signing Rooney as a manager. His track record as a manager In the championship is indifferent,  to say the least.

With Plymouth's budget,  a lot lower than most, its going to be a challenge. 

Need someone with more prudency. 

Of course, unless Wayne , is going to dig into his own pockets!

On a positive note,  Rooney will enjoy the nights out in Plymouth,  they can be lively!

Has got a similar sort of feeling to when Peter Shilton was appointed at Argyle. Very high profile, raised the profile of the club and attracted decent players to Plymouth, captured the imagination of the public. Things went very well for him in his first full season when he had a strong backroom staff and support of the board. All unravelled pretty quickly when John McGovern left though (a book on Shilton's time at Argyle, The Nearly Men, is a great read).

If Wayne Rooney has a decent assistant and staff, then who knows. It certainly is a very brave appointment, especially after how it went for him at Birmingham.

On 30/05/2024 at 14:07, Ian Pethick said:

Has got a similar sort of feeling to when Peter Shilton was appointed at Argyle. Very high profile, raised the profile of the club and attracted decent players to Plymouth, captured the imagination of the public. Things went very well for him in his first full season when he had a strong backroom staff and support of the board. All unravelled pretty quickly when John McGovern left though (a book on Shilton's time at Argyle, The Nearly Men, is a great read).

If Wayne Rooney has a decent assistant and staff, then who knows. It certainly is a very brave appointment, especially after how it went for him at Birmingham.

Shilton’s a self obsessed **** though

• 1 month later...
On 08/06/2024 at 09:21, fenman said:

You have to realise that todays footballers are struggling financialy and need to  find extra income . Its not like the days of Greaves , Hurst ,  Law etc when the top players earnt twice what a bricklayer earnt , since the 1990's top players are badly paid .

Think the problem is that a lot of them spend it as fast, if not faster, than they earn it. Having an extravagant lifestyle isn't a problem when the money is coming in, but becomes one when it's not. Read a report a few years back which stated that 60% of Premier League footballers go bankrupt within 10 years of retirement. 

On 08/06/2024 at 09:21, fenman said:

ou have to realise that todays footballers are struggling financialy and need to  find extra income . Its not like the days of Greaves , Hurst ,  Law etc when the top players earnt twice what a bricklayer earnt , since the 1990's top players are badly paid .

On another post on this forum, we recorded the published fact that top profesional players wages have increased by 3600% not too bad I can confirm.

How todays players can go bankrupt within 10 years of retirement is beyond comprehension, unless of course they live beyond their means in which case it's difficult to have much sympathy.

Off the subject I know BUT !!!!!!!   I watched the interview with Jimmy Anderson after the Test Match yesterday following his last game for England . HE was asked how he would like to be remembered  , his answer " as a reasonably good cricketer from Burnley " He was also asked how he felt when he had  taken 5 wickets or more in a Test Match , he said that  that game was over and he wanted to improve . It's a pity some of the Premiership's young players don't have the same attitude . Several have let money and fame go to their head  and their career stagnates .