Cornwall Football Forum

Northern League Request Season Extension

Read in Non League Paper that the step 3 Northern League have written to the FA formally requesting an extension to the season.

With 2 months of the league season remaining, there are still around 40% of the fixtures still to play They have genuine concerns that a couple of clubs (who still have 20 games to play) won't be able to complete their matches. Because of the state of their pitch, Jarrow haven't been able to play a home league game since October.

The FA are so out of touch with the realities of non-league football, thinking we can all afford million pound pitches. The close season should be separated from the pro leagues, with a closing date that could be varied depending on the prevailing weather incurred, or matches played etc. Or just move to a summer season :thumbsup:

30 minutes ago, JonColenzo said:

They either need to use common sense or put their hands in their pockets and help clubs fund more 3G pitches, the only one a step 6 side can use in Cornwall is Coach Road in Devon!

For my own knowledge why is that JC? I assumed Callington could use theirs. Hayle are St Piran but what's that like? And why not Salt Mill in Saltash? Launceston? 3G is 3G? Or is that just a further lack of common sense? 🤣

4 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

For my own knowledge why is that JC? I assumed Callington could use theirs. Hayle are St Piran but what's that like? And why not Salt Mill in Saltash? Launceston? 3G is 3G? Or is that just a further lack of common sense? 🤣

Its not just the pitch, its all the infrastructure that has to go with the particular step side playing on it.

16 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

I asked the question to SWPL mate to try and get a fixture for our firsts this Saturday, but all the Cornish 3G’s don’t meet the requirements for spectator viewing, dugouts etc, and have to be certified by the FA.

Parkway game off again tonight . I make that about 7-8 games behind the rest of the league  now. And almost in  march . Parkway have another 19 games to play I think in next 2 months ?  That if bolitho see a sustained dry spell 
Dangerously close to bottom 3 as well but with plenty games in hand. 
you have to say tho playing 3 or 4 games a week is surly going test the squad and injuries will happen. 

9 minutes ago, JonColenzo said:

I asked the question to SWPL mate to try and get a fixture for our firsts this Saturday, but all the Cornish 3G’s don’t meet the requirements for spectator viewing, dugouts etc, and have to be certified by the FA.

Does Plymouth Marjon not fit the bill?  - having played at Step 6 for a while. I'm sure that will be a no too!

50 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Does Plymouth Marjon not fit the bill?  - having played at Step 6 for a while. I'm sure that will be a no too!

Nah it doesn't. I remember reading/hearing a while back they were falling foul of the time allowed to get up to scratch to be in the SWL and their relegation kind of avoided the fall out from it. 

And now Taunton game off. You have to wonder seriously when   Truro will ever  get to play a game there.  They are due to play a “home” game this Saturday but with torrential rain all tomorrow and Thursday I just can’t see it.  And if they do I can see the Taunton fans kicking off big time most are already losing patience .  What a dilemma.  Surly the league will need to extend the season 

9 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Nah it doesn't. I remember reading/hearing a while back they were falling foul of the time allowed to get up to scratch to be in the SWL and their relegation kind of avoided the fall out from it. 

Plymouth Marjon were relegated to the Devon League Step 7 

9 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

And now Taunton game off. You have to wonder seriously when   Truro will ever  get to play a game there.  They are due to play a “home” game this Saturday but with torrential rain all tomorrow and Thursday I just can’t see it.  And if they do I can see the Taunton fans kicking off big time most are already losing patience .  What a dilemma.  Surly the league will need to extend the season 

Its going to be interesting who hosts a first team game first Parkway or Taunton. Not very hopeful for Saturday at TTFC for the City home game!

11 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Its going to be interesting who hosts a first team game first Parkway or Taunton. Not very hopeful for Saturday at TTFC for the City home game!

Next to no chance of Truro v Hemel getting played on Saturday (picture of Wordsworth Drive included in this article 😁).

Screenshot_20240221_115154_Chrome.jpg

Already bought my 'solidarity' ticket for Plainmoor on Saturday following the Gulls going into administration. I spent 20 years+ in the Bay so have a soft spot for the Gulls.

I did so, on the expectation, that the City game would be off! The way it is going the final 12 games could all be at 'home' IIRC there's now a 12/6 split between fixtures already!