Cornwall Football Forum

Ex Local Referee ‘Jan Howe’ passes away 😢

Guest Dave Howe

Guest Dave Howe

Sad to announce for those local footballers old enough to remember him that former Porthleven legendary football referee and my Dad, ‘Jan Howe’ passed away recently after suffering for a long period from dementia. His funeral is being held in Yeovil next Thursday.

The best referee and manager that England never had and those would have been his words ! 
RIP Dad ! 

I had many “ interesting “ trips around the South Western League when running the line to Jan back in the 80s and 90 s .

A character with some passionate views on players and clubs that we had a giggle about in the car going to and from games .

They don’t make them like Jan anymore !!! 
Had the pleasure of reffing his son David many times as well 

RIP Jan 

6 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Condolences to you Dave and your family

Thanks Dave.

5 hours ago, John Mead said:

Remember him well and he had my total respect as a referee.  Condolences to all family and close friends.

Thanks John, always enjoyed going down to Penlee as a youngster to watch when Dad ref’d in the Dave Wadd days. They had some ‘interesting’ conversations 🤣

2 hours ago, Dave James said:

I had many “ interesting “ trips around the South Western League when running the line to Jan back in the 80s and 90 s .

A character with some passionate views on players and clubs that we had a giggle about in the car going to and from games .

They don’t make them like Jan anymore !!! 
Had the pleasure of reffing his son David many times as well 

RIP Jan 

Thanks Dave, good days !

So sorry to hear this news Dave. Your dad was not only the best referee in the county in his era, think he might of told me that, but he was also a great friend of our family & was always up our house sampling my dads home brew.

He will be sadly missed & the thoughts of all the Richards family are with you, Steve & all your families.

Rest in peace Jan. X

On 18/12/2023 at 09:55, Tommy Matthews said:

Sorry for your loss Dave. As a fellow Porthlevener I knew him well and he was certainly one of the top officials around at his time. Always a friendly face and good company after a game. 
My condolences to you and all your family Dave, he’ll be missed by many. 😢

Thanks Tommy, gave Dad a good send off yesterday and great that some of his old Fleet Air Arm Football buddies turned out to pay their respects. 😢

On 18/12/2023 at 10:55, kevin richards said:

So sorry to hear this news Dave. Your dad was not only the best referee in the county in his era, think he might of told me that, but he was also a great friend of our family & was always up our house sampling my dads home brew.

He will be sadly missed & the thoughts of all the Richards family are with you, Steve & all your families.

Rest in peace Jan. X

Thanks for the kind words Kev, passed them on to Steve too 👍

On 17/12/2023 at 22:31, RAPPO said:

Sorry for your loss Dave. Many great football memories with your dad over the years no doubt!! Keep thinking about them on the down days, it kind of gets you through it I found mate. Best wishes to you and the family Dave x

Thanks Mark, a few good stories told over a drink post the funeral yesterday. Hope you’re well bud, Merry Christmas to you and yours.