Cornwall Football Forum

Plymouth manager on borrowed time i think

I think Plymouth manager Steve Schumachers job will be on the line if they loose there next 2 games ,i dont think the owner Simon Hallet will stand for many more defeats especially after forking out 2 million in the summer for Mumba and Whittaker both great players . 

I hope im wrong about the managers position and Plymouth do stay up and rebuild for next season . 

I can see Neil Warnock back at Plymouth and i dont think that would be a bad thing he always seems to get teams out of trouble and i could see him doing the same at Plymouth if Steve Schumacher is sacked 

Steve Schmacher is a very good coach and manager,winning Division One and taking Plymouth Argyle into the Championship for this season (hopefully many more).

Why would the Chairman sack him in favour of Warnock who doesn't stay anywhere too long and has been sacked or resigned from the MANY clubs he has been employed at? Nonsense.

Wow, what a take.  A manager who has taken Argyle up as champions. To say he’s on borrowed time!

Who should be his replacement then?

Schumacher has contacts in the hot bed of football that is the North West so I expect a couple of loans in January. 

Sustainable at Championship level should be Argyles aim 

On 14/11/2023 at 15:25, 100%cornish said:

I think Plymouth manager Steve Schumachers job will be on the line if they loose there next 2 games ,i dont think the owner Simon Hallet will stand for many more defeats especially after forking out 2 million in the summer for Mumba and Whittaker both great players . 

I hope im wrong about the managers position and Plymouth do stay up and rebuild for next season . 

I can see Neil Warnock back at Plymouth and i dont think that would be a bad thing he always seems to get teams out of trouble and i could see him doing the same at Plymouth if Steve Schumacher is sacked 

Thank Christ you aren't on the board then Steve. They've lost 8 / 16 league games. I think 4 of those were by a single goal. They've also handed out a few duffings along the way ( Blackburn, Norwich ) - all on average attendances that are bettered by 19 of the teams in their division. I think Schumacer and the people in charge are doing a decent job. I've always liked Warnock but if you can find anyone else on this forum that thinks replacing Schumacer with Warnock is  a forward thinking move I'd be very surprised.

Consolidation has to be the aim, survive, adapt to the highest level and look to develop the ground so that more tickets can be sold 

I make the long 400 mile trek down to watch Argyle 3 or 4 times a season and after Wolves they are my favourite team ( strange really when I live 20 miles from Norwich and 40 miles from Ipswich ) I think Schumacher has , or is ,  doing a good job  and  given the choice I would rather watch them than almost all of the boring Premiership teams . One of the  problems with the game nowadays is that the modern generation of fans don't go to games for entertainment . To them it's all about winning  , nothing else matters .  If Argyle were to be promoted  although it would be nice to see , I think  , and I might be wrong , that they would struggle to compete financially  and would probably struggle to attract the type of players they would need to stay in the league . Plymouth , very much like Norwich is too far from the city bright lights of London , Manchester , Liverpool etc. . They would possibly  survive for season but then plummet down  and down . Before you brand me an idiot look at the teams like Wigan , Blackpool  , Reading , Blackburn , Hull  they all tasted the high life then plummeted  almost out of sight in the football world . Would the Plymouth fans really want that ? Several of the Norwich fans ( the few with a brain ) say they would rather be in the Championship  and enjoying the game than travelling  long distances on a Monday or Friday night to Newcastle or Liverpool  and losing heavily .

The question is , is Simon Hallet  in it for the money  or like Delia Smith in for the love of the club  and careful not to overstretch finances . Being old and decrepid I've lost count of the times when I've seen and heard the hysteria of Norwich's promotions , the coach driven around the city , the civic dinners etc. etc.  and 12 months later the  spectre of relegation .