Cornwall Football Forum

PIRAN FILMS' VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS OF HELSTON ATHLETIC V NAILSEA AND TICKENHAM

Piran

The handball was more of a penalty than the penalty given, clever play by the striker, but he knew exactly what he was doing.  Not saying it wasn't a pen, just curious what the ref thought not giving the handball that wasn't in a natural position, but then again the handball rule at the minute is anyone's guess. Another good win for helston though 

It was pouring with rain, i get 1 quick look, a few lads in front of me.. not gonna guess.. but looking back it was a Penalty as hits is flailing arm on way back down... As for the 1st pen.. look at the way the gk comes charging out of goal and catches the striker... Wander what u thought of the lack of the respect at the end?? 

55 minutes ago, pillatonreferee said:

It was pouring with rain, i get 1 quick look, a few lads in front of me.. not gonna guess.. but looking back it was a Penalty as hits is flailing arm on way back down... As for the 1st pen.. look at the way the gk comes charging out of goal and catches the striker... Wander what u thought of the lack of the respect at the end?? 

Wasn't saying it wasn't a pen, was just comparing to the handball haha yeah conditions looked horrible, and sometimes things are missed, fair play for admitting it was a pen now as well not many refs would have the balls to admit they're wrong. Looked like some good challenges which was spot on refereeing even though some moaned haha 

1 hour ago, pillatonreferee said:

Thanks Neil for responding to the comments on the video highlights. Steve and I both thought you had a very good game and not because Helston won and probably had the rub of the green with the penalty decisions.

I had a lovely  pre and post match chat with the visitors’ chairman and his bench was certainly no credit to his club. I thought the final comment was very disrespectful but kept it in to show what referees have to put up with these days. I’m not sure what the answer is. But thanks for your role in getting the game played and well  played sir!

2 hours ago, pillatonreferee said:

Best referee . . . :clapper:

2 hours ago, pillatonreferee said:

Nice to have a referee come on the forum and explain a decision.  Well done to you. 

Why do you think players show a lack of respect?

The first pen was 100% pen. Poor goalkeeping, slow out & going for it with his foot as well. Can’t see what people are questioning or he is appealing about. 

The “handball” well I’ve watched it a few times, I thought it hit the attackers hand first then deflected down and hit the defenders arm. Sort of thing you definitely appeal for if you’re a fan but ….Not clear cut enough for me even with the benefit of replay so I go with the ref and say 2 correct decisions. 👏👏

oh and you can see by my user name I’m no fan of Helston!!!

Still haven't come across a better official than Neil. Approachable if respectful, will almost commentate his decisions in play which IMO nullifies a few moans, and most importantly has a personality and a bit about him, doesn't take any ****! 

Years ago I watched a SWL game he officiated, and a player was charging out to close down a wide player, you could see from the speed a foul was coming if not a tough tackle. Neil knew that too and his comms to the player actually coached him into easing off and defending well without committing a tackle at all. Hard to explain in text but it stuck with me, I thought it was excellent. Likely saved the lad a booking. 

2 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Still haven't come across a better official than Neil. Approachable if respectful, will almost commentate his decisions in play which IMO nullifies a few moans, and most importantly has a personality and a bit about him, doesn't take any ****! 

Years ago I watched a SWL game he officiated, and a player was charging out to close down a wide player, you could see from the speed a foul was coming if not a tough tackle. Neil knew that too and his comms to the player actually coached him into easing off and defending well without committing a tackle at all. Hard to explain in text but it stuck with me, I thought it was excellent. Likely saved the lad a booking. 

Nice to see Neil being appreciated for the job he does.....and loves doing. Some people think we go home after a game and forget about the game we have just had, but rest assured we our our own biggest critics!!