Cornwall Football Forum

Feedback is welcome!

I love the Podcast you and RAPPO are a brilliant double act Deacs think you should take your Podcast on the road im reading Marks book and i cant put it down im wandering if it says who his hardest opponent was its got to be Villas Ugo Ehigou who had a hell of  a game when he played for Falmouth vs Villa . The Book is brilliant Mark is so down to earth as well as a lovely person he even delivered his book to me personally ,What a like about Mark or Rappo theres no Airs or Graces about him some players are so far up there asses and they only play local football for christ sake .

How about having a fans section on your show where us fans could give there point of views just a thought Smokie would say fav ground Wadebridge ,Fav food St Dennis fav people Ollie and Neil at St Austell ,Matt Lloyd and Mark Rappo Rapsey of course 

16 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

I love the Podcast you and RAPPO are a brilliant double act Deacs think you should take your Podcast on the road im reading Marks book and i cant put it down im wandering if it says who his hardest opponent was its got to be Villas Ugo Ehigou who had a hell of  a game when he played for Falmouth vs Villa . The Book is brilliant Mark is so down to earth as well as a lovely person he even delivered his book to me personally ,What a like about Mark or Rappo theres no Airs or Graces about him some players are so far up there asses and they only play local football for christ sake .

How about having a fans section on your show where us fans could give there point of views just a thought Smokie would say fav ground Wadebridge ,Fav food St Dennis fav people Ollie and Neil at St Austell ,Matt Lloyd and Mark Rappo Rapsey of course 

Like the idea of taking the show on the road occasionally. Recording the show live from a clubhouse before the match, speaking live to one or two individuals involved in that afternoon's match.

Another thought I had was for a regular monthly slot from a referee. This would be in the same way that Jon Colenzo contributes, you could invite any queries or questions that can be put to them.

Overall though, love the podcast and the exposure it gives to the Cornish clubs and players.  It helps us long distance fans to keep in touch with what is going on. If I was to have a slight moan, it is a bit too Peninsula League heavy (understandable I guess as that is where most of the football is played in the county), but I would welcome more Western League focus. Don't know if something along the lines of what Phil Hiscox contributes is possible?

It has brought back a lot of memories Mark still reading it in  bed 

Would love to hear some of the F Troop on the Podcast talking about local football and how well there brilliant team Falmouth is doing they have certainly surprised me because i watched them in pre season and they didnt impress me at all i thought they would struggle up front but they have done brilliant and i wish them all the sucess that is going 

I’ll be honest and say that it seems to be geared more to the higher end of local football these days rather than where the highest participation is… st Pirans league is almost portrayed as an afterthought whereas previous seasons saw a much bigger contribution for duchy, Trelawney, ecpl, combo and st Pirans all as separate leagues …… on occasion there are slots for a single player at a higher level side longer than an entire league report….. maybe readdress this imbalance at times? 

On 17/10/2023 at 18:20, 100%cornish said:

I love the Podcast you and RAPPO are a brilliant double act Deacs think you should take your Podcast on the road

Not so sure how clubs would appreciate us bothering them on a match day when so few volunteers have so much to do!

On 18/10/2023 at 11:15, Way Of The Park said:

Another thought I had was for a regular monthly slot from a referee.

Sadly I doubt that would be allowed!

On 18/10/2023 at 11:15, Way Of The Park said:

If I was to have a slight moan, it is a bit too Peninsula League heavy (understandable I guess as that is where most of the football is played in the county), but I would welcome more Western League focus. Don't know if something along the lines of what Phil Hiscox contributes is possible?

Looking back at the number of interviews, yes we've heard from more guests involved with SWPL than WL. Partly I would say because there has been more midweek matches in the SWPL. It's certainly something to bear in mind.

As for finding a WL "Phil Hiscox" - I reckon that would be almost impossible! However, if anyone knows of someone directly connected with the WLwho is a down to earth, uses common sense, more than approachable, with a sense of humour and prepared to talk to us on a regular basis - we would of course be happy to consider!

On 19/10/2023 at 17:29, 100%cornish said:

Would love to hear some of the F Troop on the Podcast talking about local football

We have had the F Troop on a couple times.

To be fair, I would love to get supporters to talk about their club, so the invite is out there for anyone to get in touch with me. I've always been happy to receive voice messages or recording clips from anyone.

This is, these days, so easy to do either via what's app, mobile phone recordings etc. If anyone would like to contribute and not sure the best to send in offerings - please get in touch with me.

On 19/10/2023 at 17:40, countyman said:

I’ll be honest and say that it seems to be geared more to the higher end of local football these days rather than where the highest participation is… st Pirans league is almost portrayed as an afterthought whereas previous seasons saw a much bigger contribution for duchy, Trelawney, ecpl, combo and st Pirans all as separate leagues …… on occasion there are slots for a single player at a higher level side longer than an entire league report….. maybe readdress this imbalance at times? 

Yes I admit we are more geared towards the higher levels of football played by Cornish clubs.

For at least two reasons as far as I can think - one being that the higher levels, I believe, should get more coverage, and secondly from personal experience, the lower levels are far more difficult to get anyone to participate. As very recent proof of this, I reached out to two St Piran League clubs only last week, one by email and another by text, and I've not heard back from either. And my contact wasn't actually asking for them to come on the podcast, but I was purely after a thought back from them for inclusion in an article I was considering for my CORNISH SOCCER mag. 

I would challenge the suggestion that the SPL is an "afterthought". From earlier feedback it was suggested that perhaps the format of the show should pretty much be the same each episode and this is what we're doing and this is in the order of what levels the clubs are playing at.

As it is, Rappo covers off as much about the SPL as he can, but without it becoming just a spouting out of information. I reckon there's a lot of players getting a mention via our podcast that because the weekly newspapers coverage has reduced, don't get a mention anywhere else these days! Again, SPL clubs please contact me if you have a better way we can cover you, and don't forget, the invite for you to send in a match report or post-match interview via a mobile phone is more than welcome. These clips can cover a lot in just a couple minutes you know.  

However, by all means keep writing in with your thoughts and areas the podcast can be improved. 

The podcast is imho a well rounded review/preview of local football. The passion you guys have for the game down here ensures that it is a great listen. 
I’ve only been watching football down here for 3 years and the podcast definitely helps build my knowledge of the local scene and as such, I have a few teams in different leagues that I look out for (after Bude of course) 
I’m not convinced you have to change much and I certainly wouldn’t encourage fan participation. Jeez, you just need to read some of the nonsense on here to know most fans are windbags most of the time 😂🤣 (I’m only half joking and include myself in that). If the listeners do want to be involved, then maybe it could be in the form of 10 questions. Such as, team you follow, favourite ground, least favourite 🤣, best match, how would you improve the game etc etc. And you pair could read them out and discuss. Then again, maybe just keep it as it is 😉

The only slight quibble is that the podcast can be too long and tries to over-reach in seeking to cover everything football-wise in the Duchy.  However, it is very rare that I miss an episode. It is a fantastic resource - kudos to you Dave Deacon and the legend that is Rappo. I have to be honest I do stop listening after the SWPL coverage as I hardly ever watch Step 7 or lower.

Improvements? Maybe more of a focus on the WL. I think the time given over to the SWPL, especially interview time, is perhaps out of balance vis-a-vis such time given to the WL. Lastly could we get Cam W to do player interviews to add to the already good Truro City coverage?

Thirdly, football is nothing without fans, so that perspective would add an additional and potentially interesting take.

Finally, once again thanks for a great weekly listen and for all you put into Cornish football Deacs! 

Thanks for your thoughts Both Sides.

I have to admit the length of the weekly podcast is something that has always played on my mind! Mind you then people say to me that it’s possible to skip, fast forward etc and so why worry!

I would imagine out of all the weekly listeners we have, very few listen to the whole episode. Which makes the length slightly more acceptable as far as I’m concerned.

As for the WL v SWPL time. I actually went back last week and totted up the numbers for this series and it’s not leaning so much towards SWPL as I thought. However it’s probably always going to lean towards SWPL whilst there’s more than twice as many Cornish SWPL clubs than WL? 

As for the interviews from others comment - yes I would love Cam, and now as well Pablo, and also Rappo to contribute interviews. It has been suggested rest assured! You could also add regular club supporters and their  thoughts on their club to this list. With all mobile phones and such things as What’s App i have in the past invited anyone at a game to send me a quick recording, if need only be a minute or max two, but alas I think in all the time we’ve been doing the R & D Fix - I’ve had one!

Thanks for the feedback. Rarely do we receive any and so this thread is in itself a step in the right direction.

Can I ask this question to all of you out there - as the podcast comes out on a Friday, should we actually be putting more emphasis on looking at the games coming up rather than the ones played in the previous week?

Sorry Dave I can confirm I rarely listen to the whole episode nowadays. Having the ability now on Spotify to click on the pieces you want to listen to certainly doesn't make the episode length an issue, as you said above. 

I'd cover last week's games and the week ahead where possible. You can only get to one game at a time so it's good to hear context to results from the previous weekend. Stats may show otherwise but I feel the coverage on St Piran Prem and below has decreased. The appetite is naturally at Step 5 and 6 but there are many many other stories below that as a huge area of participation in the county still. 

One topic I have thought could be introduced is an "Unsung hero", whether that be from a league committee or a club man/woman. We all know from this forum how well respected Phil Hiscox is within the SWL, the work Older did at Penryn, etc. But there are many at all leagues and clubs who deserve a shout out. This topic may even give other listeners ideas for their own clubs to take on board. My first shout out would be Will Kitto at St Teath, who have recently purchased floodlights to improve their facilities further, as well as having a blinding start to life in St Piran East Div 2 after last season's relegation. Looks like they'll be straight back up!

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Thanks for your thoughts Both Sides.

I have to admit the length of the weekly podcast is something that has always played on my mind! Mind you then people say to me that it’s possible to skip, fast forward etc and so why worry!

I would imagine out of all the weekly listeners we have, very few listen to the whole episode. Which makes the length slightly more acceptable as far as I’m concerned.

As for the WL v SWPL time. I actually went back last week and totted up the numbers for this series and it’s not leaning so much towards SWPL as I thought. However it’s probably always going to lean towards SWPL whilst there’s more than twice as many Cornish SWPL clubs than WL? 

As for the interviews from others comment - yes I would love Cam, and now as well Pablo, and also Rappo to contribute interviews. It has been suggested rest assured! You could also add regular club supporters and their  thoughts on their club to this list. With all mobile phones and such things as What’s App i have in the past invited anyone at a game to send me a quick recording, if need only be a minute or max two, but alas I think in all the time we’ve been doing the R & D Fix - I’ve had one!

Thanks for the feedback. Rarely do we receive any and so this thread is in itself a step in the right direction.

Can I ask this question to all of you out there - as the podcast comes out on a Friday, should we actually be putting more emphasis on looking at the games coming up rather than the ones played in the previous week?

The current emphasis on recent and upcoming games hits just the right balance as it is. Just one view, but I hope this helps. All good wishes Dave 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit I haven’t listened to it since the start of the season but I reckon I’ve listened enough to offer an opinion 

Podcast has become part of the furniture Dave and people have the ability to skip through the bits they arnt so interested in.so I wouldn’t worry about the length. For me I used to like listening to the different players you interviewed. So keep getting them on, but I have to agree, getting a referee on every now and then would be useful and an interesting listen. 

I’d imagine your figures are higher now I’ve stopped anyway