Cornwall Football Forum

9th September St Piran Prem

Torpoint Ath 3rds 1-2 St Columb Major 

Torpoint started bright and scored within 1 minute and nearly added a 2nd when hitting the crossbar. St Columb were creating plenty of chances in the first half but couldn't find that equaliser before HT. 

St Columb were creating the most chances in the 2nd half but credit to the  Torpoint keeper he was making some fine stops. Thankfully St Columb did pull a well deserved goal back with a fine strike from Jamie Patient just outside the penalty box. St Columb were then given a free kick in the last few minutes and Marco Ciarleglio cross/shot found it's way in the back of the net to take all the 3pts. In my opinion, St Columb were the better side on the day and deserved the win.

Watched Newquay Academy beat Liskeard Reserves 5-0 this afternoon in a really good display lots of good players in the team and a Mom performance from James Peters in the Newquay goal a flawless display his next game could be against Wendron this Wednesday. 

A master stroke o management by Newquay manager this afternoon playing defender Owen Royes as a forward and it worked a treat with him scoring  2 goals ,Newquay had no strikers so they put Owen up front Well done Shaun and well done to young Owen on his 2 goals 

14 hours ago, Rjw87 said:

Torpoint Ath 3rds 1-2 St Columb Major 

Torpoint started bright and scored within 1 minute and nearly added a 2nd when hitting the crossbar. St Columb were creating plenty of chances in the first half but couldn't find that equaliser before HT. 

St Columb were creating the most chances in the 2nd half but credit to the  Torpoint keeper he was making some fine stops. Thankfully St Columb did pull a well deserved goal back with a fine strike from Jamie Patient just outside the penalty box. St Columb were then given a free kick in the last few minutes and Marco Ciarleglio cross/shot found it's way in the back of the net to take all the 3pts. In my opinion, St Columb were the better side on the day and deserved the win.

Not sure I fully agree but that's football.

Torpoint did start the game well and for poor finishing, were in a position to score 3 in the opening 10 minutes. Halls with the opener, Warren and Copp were involved regularly wide. Columb held their nerve and grew into the half, especially through the #12 who looked the most dangerous player on the pitch. An early injury for Captain Heron knocked us a little. Both sides continued to make chances in the opening half, Columb a constant threat from set pieces and thier long throw post Heron's substitution.

Second half was much of the same. Torpoint retaining the ball but unable to test the Columb keeper. Ross had chances off of the bench. From the 75 minute mark, we went away from what we were doing well, too much long ball meant early turnovers and more opportunity for Columb to get on the ball. They grabbed a deserved equaliser late, a first clearance wasn't delt with and as mentioned above, a smart finish. Minutes later, another silly free kick allowed a flighted ball into the box. With Torpoint static and 4 onrushing onto Westall, he was unable to anticipate where the ball was going and it ended up straight in the net. Big celebrations from the visitors and a second yellow for the #10 who volleyed the ball away.

An even enough game where both sides had chances. Opening 15, Torpoint by far the better side. Final 15, the complete reserve. Middle 60 I thought we're even. We're frustrated not to be clear early but credit to the visitors for staying in the game. Valuable learning experiences for the group as a whole. Huge positives for me were the performances of Mills and Paine.

1 point from 3 games but importantly, 4 goals conceded late from winning positions. 

St Day 5 Perranwell 1

Comfortable victory for the Saints not the best game of footy to watch in searing heat that this country can’t cope with .

Must of been a difficult experience for all players involved as it was sticky heat at best .

My right up is all about the Ground  & Referee .

The pitch & facilities at St Day are unbelievable & the pitch is like a carpet it really is that good .

Well done to all involved for the ground in general it’s also well organised & in every department someone has an answer to any question.

Now Ian Roberts reffed this game & how nice it is to see a ref know the whole package inside out he talked to the players explained quickly his decisions & moved on .

He had one whistle error & explained it quickly to Perran who accepted it & away they went , from first minute to last he was top class.

Really good to see a top ref at this level of football I watched a game in this league last year & the ref was awful making it all about himself.

20 minutes ago, MARKSY said:

St Day 5 Perranwell 1

Comfortable victory for the Saints not the best game of footy to watch in searing heat that this country can’t cope with .

Must of been a difficult experience for all players involved as it was sticky heat at best .

The pitch & facilities at St Day are unbelievable & the pitch is like a carpet it really is that good .

Well done to all involved for the ground in general it’s also well organised & in every department someone has an answer to any question.

Now Ian Roberts reffed this game & how nice it is to see a ref know the whole package inside out he talked to the players explained quickly his decisions & moved on .

He had one whistle error & explained it quickly to Perran who accepted it & away they went , from first minute to last he was top class.

Really good to see a top ref at this level of football I watched a game in this league last year & the ref was awful making it all about himself.

We had Ian at Nanpean last week. I personally thought he was brilliant throughout. If I remember, I think we graded him in the 90s.

40 minutes ago, L.Gibbons said:

Not sure I fully agree but that's football.

Torpoint did start the game well and for poor finishing, were in a position to score 3 in the opening 10 minutes. Halls with the opener, Warren and Copp were involved regularly wide. Columb held their nerve and grew into the half, especially through the #12 who looked the most dangerous player on the pitch. An early injury for Captain Heron knocked us a little. Both sides continued to make chances in the opening half, Columb a constant threat from set pieces and thier long throw post Heron's substitution.

Second half was much of the same. Torpoint retaining the ball but unable to test the Columb keeper. Ross had chances off of the bench. From the 75 minute mark, we went away from what we were doing well, too much long ball meant early turnovers and more opportunity for Columb to get on the ball. They grabbed a deserved equaliser late, a first clearance wasn't delt with and as mentioned above, a smart finish. Minutes later, another silly free kick allowed a flighted ball into the box. With Torpoint static and 4 onrushing onto Westall, he was unable to anticipate where the ball was going and it ended up straight in the net. Big celebrations from the visitors and a second yellow for the #10 who volleyed the ball away.

An even enough game where both sides had chances. Opening 15, Torpoint by far the better side. Final 15, the complete reserve. Middle 60 I thought we're even. We're frustrated not to be clear early but credit to the visitors for staying in the game. Valuable learning experiences for the group as a whole. Huge positives for me were the performances of Mills and Paine.

1 point from 3 games but importantly, 4 goals conceded late from winning positions. 

Yeah sorry if it that came across bisased 😂 just felt St Columb missed a few real sitters ie the number 10 Ben Coloqun putting it wide from like 3 yards. Plenty of 1 on 1s also missed by St Columb (but the keeper was on top form). It was definitely a even game as the scoreline shows, but in my opinion I just feel on another day St Columb could of scored at least 4 or 5 yesterday. But yeah Torpoint also did play nice football and have a very good young side. Good luck to you boys 👍

2 hours ago, MARKSY said:

St Day 5 Perranwell 1

I wasn’t at the game Saturday but I agree that Ian is one of the best refs around. He is honest and if any error on his part, he explains, says sorry and moves on. Lots of referees should be sent to watch Ian ref when they are starting out or if have a bad grading one week.

Saltash 0 Doms 1

A short trip yesterday for the Doms to take on Saltash United who had won every game they’d played in the league so far this season.

The early exchanges saw little in the way of chances before a key moment after around 15 minutes, an under hit back pass resulted in Kane Thomas bringing down their striker who would have been in 1v1 and he was shown a straight red. Predictably we had to change tact and sit in which worked in limiting any home side chances, 0-0 at the break. 

Into the second half with a similar game plan which was only get to get tougher with a man light and the heat, similarly though the home sides chances were limited with us creating some decent chances on the break. Then, late on, the only goal of the game as we broke down the left, the ball was cut back to Alex Jacob who controlled before hammering the half volley home with only a few minutes remaining for the crucial goal. 

A huge effort from everyone in the conditions and with ten men for the majority of the game to claim the points, man of the match went to Francis Roy-Pengelly who never stopped running for us all afternoon. 

Torpoint Athletic 2 - 1 North Petherwin

Torpoint goalscorers: OG & Easterbrook

A tough battle on Saturday against a robust North Petherwin side. New opposition for our 2nd Team but not for me, a familiar foe from recent years. Having won the Duchy Prem title in 21/22 and then runners up in the ECPL in 22/23, North Petherwin are on an upwards trajectory on and off the pitch and will be used to winning games. This brings lots of positives in their favour in this league where some won't know anything about them and a factor in North Peth coming into Saturday having won 3 from their last 3.

A baking hot game didn't aid the pace of the game and the first half was very cagey. We had a lot of possession in our third and central areas, with what looked like a deliberate act from North Peth who sat off and preserved energy, and countless times sloppy passing on our part allowed them to steal possession and counter effectively. North Peth were compact and we didn't have enough quality in build up to get meaningful attacks, barely troubling the visiting custodian. It was North Peth's compactness just before the half hour mark which created the opening goal, and a good ball in behind our high line was a foot race between Manuel and the Peth fwd, whose dinked finish over Sidey was superb composure to take the lead. Luckily for us, Sidey was in fine form for the rest of the half making some very good stops to keep our visitors at bay. The deficit didn't squash us though and we continued to probe. A Hunt ball in behind the right back found Westall down the channel who lofted the bouncing ball over the keeper but to no avail. Payn and Easterbrook continued to get on the ball but were snuffed out at every opportunity. 5mins before the break we found an equaliser, with Aidy Bark speeding down the right to deliver a low cross into the 6yd box, with Cullerton waiting for a simple tap in the Peth defender stuck the ball in his own net for 1-1. Level at HT the visitors had been the better side in terms of chances on goal, if not for Sidey's top keeping.

The interval allowed us to address a few things and we started the 2nd half much better. Less tippy tappy and a bit more effective. Around 50mins a nice ball in behind from the right hand side found it's way into the box, Easterbrook's deft first touch sitting the keeper down and placing into the net. This was chalked off by the official as the visiting linesman thought Cullerton had flicked the ball on. This was a bit controversial and despite Cullerton's protests of not touching the ball and Easterbrook's sulk ended up putting him in the bin for 10 minutes. Having been cut in half a few times in the first half, a golf ball swelling on his elbow and now a disallowed goal he was motivated for his reintroduction. 5mins after that around 68mins, a neat ball through the centre found Westall in too much time and space away from the centre halves and his ball round the corner for Easterbrook was too good to pass up, and he raced into the box and slid the ball through the keeper's legs for 2-1. At this point Bark's ankle injury had taken it's toll and we introduced fresh legs with 2 more to follow and this helped our energy levels. I don't recall many more chances for either side late in the game but having a slightly deeper back line in the 2nd half compared to the 1st certainly helped us reduce North Petherwin's threat. If I've forgotten anything of note then the post game Madris will be to blame. 2-1 FT.

Having lost our opening 3 fixtures in August, we're now 3 wins from 3 with Saturday being a bigger scalp than some will realise. A big win for us and a good feel good factor. With Smallsy playing for the 1sts on Saturday, and Boyle, Copp, Rotherz and Taylor to return next week as well we're in a much better position. Looking forward to Altarnun away. Never thought I'd say that, awful drive! 

7 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Torpoint Athletic 2 - 1 North Petherwin

Torpoint goalscorers: OG & Easterbrook

A tough battle on Saturday against a robust North Petherwin side. New opposition for our 2nd Team but not for me, a familiar foe from recent years. Having won the Duchy Prem title in 21/22 and then runners up in the ECPL in 22/23, North Petherwin are on an upwards trajectory on and off the pitch and will be used to winning games. This brings lots of positives in their favour in this league where some won't know anything about them and a factor in North Peth coming into Saturday having won 3 from their last 3.

A baking hot game didn't aid the pace of the game and the first half was very cagey. We had a lot of possession in our third and central areas, with what looked like a deliberate act from North Peth who sat off and preserved energy, and countless times sloppy passing on our part allowed them to steal possession and counter effectively. North Peth were compact and we didn't have enough quality in build up to get meaningful attacks, barely troubling the visiting custodian. It was North Peth's compactness just before the half hour mark which created the opening goal, and a good ball in behind our high line was a foot race between Manuel and the Peth fwd, whose dinked finish over Sidey was superb composure to take the lead. Luckily for us, Sidey was in fine form for the rest of the half making some very good stops to keep our visitors at bay. The deficit didn't squash us though and we continued to probe. A Hunt ball in behind the right back found Westall down the channel who lofted the bouncing ball over the keeper but to no avail. Payn and Easterbrook continued to get on the ball but were snuffed out at every opportunity. 5mins before the break we found an equaliser, with Aidy Bark speeding down the right to deliver a low cross into the 6yd box, with Cullerton waiting for a simple tap in the Peth defender stuck the ball in his own net for 1-1. Level at HT the visitors had been the better side in terms of chances on goal, if not for Sidey's top keeping.

The interval allowed us to address a few things and we started the 2nd half much better. Less tippy tappy and a bit more effective. Around 50mins a nice ball in behind from the right hand side found it's way into the box, Easterbrook's deft first touch sitting the keeper down and placing into the net. This was chalked off by the official as the visiting linesman thought Cullerton had flicked the ball on. This was a bit controversial and despite Cullerton's protests of not touching the ball and Easterbrook's sulk ended up putting him in the bin for 10 minutes. Having been cut in half a few times in the first half, a golf ball swelling on his elbow and now a disallowed goal he was motivated for his reintroduction. 5mins after that around 68mins, a neat ball through the centre found Westall in too much time and space away from the centre halves and his ball round the corner for Easterbrook was too good to pass up, and he raced into the box and slid the ball through the keeper's legs for 2-1. At this point Bark's ankle injury had taken it's toll and we introduced fresh legs with 2 more to follow and this helped our energy levels. I don't recall many more chances for either side late in the game but having a slightly deeper back line in the 2nd half compared to the 1st certainly helped us reduce North Petherwin's threat. If I've forgotten anything of note then the post game Madris will be to blame. 2-1 FT.

Having lost our opening 3 fixtures in August, we're now 3 wins from 3 with Saturday being a bigger scalp than some will realise. A big win for us and a good feel good factor. With Smallsy playing for the 1sts on Saturday, and Boyle, Copp, Rotherz and Taylor to return next week as well we're in a much better position. Looking forward to Altarnun away. Never thought I'd say that, awful drive! 

Fairly accurate account i'd say Cal (Maverick) we had 6 away so travelled with 12 and samways stepped up from the 2s to make 13, i even put my name on the bench haha. 100% game plan, reduced squad, big pitch very warm, tbh it would have been successful if we could take our chances, your keeper Sidey had a blinder mind. I can only remember you having 4 shots the entire game, 2 speculative efforts, 1 destined for the corner but TC tipped around and the well taken goal from Easterbrook.

1st half until your goal you never troubled us as we broke it up in the middle or dealt with the long channel balls. We had several chances hitting you on the break until Ben Sharpe superbly finished from a Gyamfi through ball. When we got the ball we looked better with it.  I could see frustration throughout the Torpoint side and dugout, especially when Farrer our rightback smashed the ball into you as you sat peacefully in the sun. Your goal came from a cross field switch from Westall which Williams should have dealt with, not really sure why he went to bring it down vs heading it away and found your rb who put in a superb cross which Halliday, stepping in again to cover at CB, could only convert for an o.g. 

2nd half we again had chances and should have scored twice, the first, watts should have squared to Williams to slot home but drove his shot straight at at Sidey. The second was an excellent save as Watts curled a places shot on the ground to left corner which Sidey pushed around for a corner. 1-1 going into the water break. During the water break we chatted about continuing what we were doing as we looked in control and Sharpe was dangerous on the break with his pace. Just no silly mistakes was my last words. Literally 2 mins after the break we switched off and gave the ball away and Easterbrook punished with a great finish, the water break had come at the wrong time. For the remainder of the game we had a go but felt more huffing and puffing than anything and the lack of fresh legs prevented us getting something out of the game, which i think we deserved. 

Another lesson for my boys at this level, you need to take those chances before you get punished. Thought Bottrill referred the game well and let if flowed. Westall was lucky to not be at least sinbinned and something the ref apologized for after the game which is great to see.

Thanks to Cal and Torpoint for hosting, great setup and we look forward to hosting Millbrook at Petherwin on Saturday.