Tonbridge Angels 0 - 3 Taunton Town
Torquay United 2 - 1 Chelmsford City
Welling United 0 - 1 Bath City
Weston-super-Mare 1 - 1 Hampton & Richmond Borough
Worthing 1 - 1 Hemel Hempstead Town
Yeovil Town 3 - 2 Eastbourne Borough

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 9 September 2023
9 hours ago, Peter Masters said:

Player’s budget is c200k+ light in my opinion, need boosting now to avoid the inevitable, we have a superb management team capable of promotion to NL if properly financed. Situation not to be taken for granted

I'm curious, is that "we" as in "I'm still a part of this club - "we". Or the royal "we"?

1 hour ago, Peter Masters said:

The “Royal We” of course with a caring watchful eye 👍

Just out of interest, and with no interest on disclosing individual salaries. In your experience what does £200k get you at Truro's current level - 2-3 more 'star'/first team players?

I look at the squad and can see its 2-3 light in my opinion (another right wing back, perhaps a creative midfielder and a pacey wide man to give us the option of switching to 4-3-3 with maybe Rocky going over to one wing, and Tyler through the middle) but in terms of quality I think we're proving our best team is a match for pretty much anyone else. 

29 minutes ago, Craze said:

Just out of interest, and with no interest on disclosing individual salaries. In your experience what does £200k get you at Truro's current level - 2-3 more 'star'/first team players?

I look at the squad and can see its 2-3 light in my opinion (another right wing back, perhaps a creative midfielder and a pacey wide man to give us the option of switching to 4-3-3 with maybe Rocky going over to one wing, and Tyler through the middle) but in terms of quality I think we're proving our best team is a match for pretty much anyone else. 

The average salary in the NLS is supposedly around £400/week (or £16000 for a 40 week season). That is the average though, so the "star" players would be on considerably more. Expect that Truro would have to pay a premium as well to attract them down to the Plymouth area.

City's first eleven is a match for most in this league, but it is a squad game. As we go deeper into the season, the full time clubs in the NLS especially will be able to call upon their greater resources and make their presence felt (Yeovil, for example, are carrying a squad of 22). Paul Wotton does brilliantly with what he has at his disposal, but I would worry that there's only so long he can keep doing this. I would still consider staying up to be a big achievement. 

2 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

The average salary in the NLS is supposedly around £400/week (or £16000 for a 40 week season). That is the average though, so the "star" players would be on considerably more. Expect that Truro would have to pay a premium as well to attract them down to the Plymouth area.

City's first eleven is a match for most in this league, but it is a squad game. As we go deeper into the season, the full time clubs in the NLS especially will be able to call upon their greater resources and make their presence felt (Yeovil, for example, are carrying a squad of 22). Paul Wotton does brilliantly with what he has at his disposal, but I would worry that there's only so long he can keep doing this. I would still consider staying up to be a big achievement. 

Absolutely agree with this. PW now needs to be backed. I'm a complete convert having seen us a couple of times this season. Thought we were brilliant v Yeovil. I don't think its a coincidence we're conceding so late in games, others have bigger squads and/or are full time. We should be fine though, definitely have enough about us to get to 50 points.

Salaries are nearer 700>900 pw  NLS, some of the players are on term contracts (carried over from last season)and represent good value for money this season, that said to keep the motivation I am sure a bonus would help. 200k would allow PW to do the business.

13 hours ago, Devils@Dusk said:

I'm curious, is that "we" as in "I'm still a part of this club - "we". Or the royal "we"?

36 minutes ago, Peter Masters said:

Salaries are nearer 700>900 pw  NLS, some of the players are on term contracts (carried over from last season)and represent good value for money this season, that said to keep the motivation I am sure a bonus would help. 200k would allow PW to do the business.

Assuming 'do the business' means giving promotion a real run?

4 hours ago, Peter Masters said:

Big ask at this time, given the position but still possible, it’s important to remain in the NLS as a min on our return to Cornwall next season. 

I guess the return to Cornwall will give everyone an idea whether there is a support base that can help support more than NLS. We need to be averaging 1000+ and start bringing through some Cornish youngsters. Exciting times right now though.

10 hours ago, St Darren said:

What’s the point though?  There’s no money to be made from it.  What level do you think is sustainable for Truro City?

That's the biq question St D. To be sustainable and competitive in the NLS, you need crowds around the 1000-1200 mark. Probably double that at least to keep you going in the almost completely full time world of the National League. Can anybody honestly see people turning up in those sort of numbers week in, week out in the new ground? 

Even during the glory days of the Heaney era, and later on when Lee Hodges was leading the team into the NLS play offs, don't think the gates were anything like this. I just cannot forsee a time when outside investment (a sugar daddy in other words) won't be required. 

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

That's the biq question St D. To be sustainable and competitive in the NLS, you need crowds around the 1000-1200 mark. Probably double that at least to keep you going in the almost completely full time world of the National League. Can anybody honestly see people turning up in those sort of numbers week in, week out in the new ground? 

Even during the glory days of the Heaney era, and later on when Lee Hodges was leading the team into the NLS play offs, don't think the gates were anything like this. I just cannot forsee a time when outside investment (a sugar daddy in other words) won't be required. 

Its why a couple of the foundation things need to happen, build the supporter base by engaging the community better, plus an emphasis on helping Cornish youth by using TCFC as a stepping stone to Plymouth Argyle and beyond. Local players in theory would/could work out cheaper. A couple of decent transfer fees/sell ons would be handy. I think we're at an exciting juncture, but some good decisions need to be made.

12 minutes ago, Craze said:

Its why a couple of the foundation things need to happen, build the supporter base by engaging the community better, plus an emphasis on helping Cornish youth by using TCFC as a stepping stone to Plymouth Argyle and beyond. Local players in theory would/could work out cheaper. A couple of decent transfer fees/sell ons would be handy. I think we're at an exciting juncture, but some good decisions need to be made.

All really good points, the non league world in Cornwall looks very different now though to when Truro left Treyew Road.  Very possible come August 2024 that you could have Mousehole playing step 3 football and Helston or Falmouth (both even) playing at step 4 level. Great for Cornish football, but they will then all be competing for floating fans and the best local players. Looking at Mousehole and Falmouth (don't know much about Helston), they have both got the jump on City regarding engagement with the local communities, businesses (especially in the case of Mousehole) and supporter bases. Given the relatively young age profile of these teams, can see both of them benefitting from transfer fees/sell ons.

Ahead of the game? how?

Having ground being built that is still at ground level/earth work stage?

Ground sharing with a club 55 miles away from your home City?

No real youth system?

A squad where 90% have left (some more than once) before returning?

There are a few things that come across really well to neutrals like myself:

Good manager

Growing social media exposure (Cam on the Cornwall Soccer Podcast for example)

I genuinely hope they keep moving forward, but personally believe "ahead of the game, on & off the pitch" is a stretch, unless you can prove otherwise!

JW

16 hours ago, Craze said:

I guess the return to Cornwall will give everyone an idea whether there is a support base that can help support more than NLS. We need to be averaging 1000+ and start bringing through some Cornish youngsters. Exciting times right now though.

16 hours ago, Peter Masters said:

Big ask at this time, given the position but still possible, it’s important to remain in the NLS as a min on our return to Cornwall next season. 

There is more chance Truro City will be playing league matches home & away against Mousehole next season than them getting 1000+ average attendance.

JW

47 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

All really good points, the non league world in Cornwall looks very different now though to when Truro left Treyew Road.  Very possible come August 2024 that you could have Mousehole playing step 3 football and Helston or Falmouth (both even) playing at step 4 level. Great for Cornish football, but they will then all be competing for floating fans and the best local players. Looking at Mousehole and Falmouth (don't know much about Helston), they have both got the jump on City regarding engagement with the local communities, businesses (especially in the case of Mousehole) and supporter bases. Given the relatively young age profile of these teams, can see both of them benefitting from transfer fees/sell ons.

Agree totally, you'd hope Truro's historical/present (don't know the current situation) links to the college, plus recent history of relative success by Cornish standards would set them ahead of the others.

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Wade said:

Ahead of the game? how?

Having ground being built that is still at ground level/earth work stage?

Ground sharing with a club 55 miles away from your home City?

No real youth system?

A squad where 90% have left (some more than once) before returning?

There are a few things that come across really well to neutrals like myself:

Good manager

Growing social media exposure (Cam on the Cornwall Soccer Podcast for example)

I genuinely hope they keep moving forward, but personally believe "ahead of the game, on & off the pitch" is a stretch, unless you can prove otherwise!

JW

There is more chance Truro City will be playing league matches home & away against Mousehole next season than them getting 1000+ average attendance.

JW

Never say never. 

2 hours ago, Craze said:

Haha. The club have no interest in the community of engagement with anyone. 

they’ve got a twitter page where if you ask a question there’s never a response.

14 hours ago, St Darren said:

What’s the point though?  There’s no money to be made from it.  What level do you think is sustainable for Truro City?

Good question though.  Just why is this project being bank-rolled when it appears to be a long way off being sustainable?  If, as has been mooted on this forum at various times,  it is to end up with a Premiership standard stadium for the Pirates, is even that sustainable?  A few clubs at that standard have famously folded lately.

24 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

If, as has been mooted on this forum at various times,  it is to end up with a Premiership standard stadium for the Pirates, is even that sustainable?  A few clubs at that standard have famously folded lately.

The English Rugby Premiership does appear to be a collective financial basket case. Even Exeter Chiefs, who were held up by many as a model for the Pirates, are on (to quote one rugby publication) "shaky foundations", with their owner purchasing one of the club's assets (the hotel at Sandy Park) to ease the debt burden. 

21 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

Good question though.  Just why is this project being bank-rolled when it appears to be a long way off being sustainable?  If, as has been mooted on this forum at various times,  it is to end up with a Premiership standard stadium for the Pirates, is even that sustainable?  A few clubs at that standard have famously folded lately.

Tbf the whats the point point could be thrown out to anyone outside the top league, Truro are never going to become a big club, that will be rolling in cash, so whats the point? Sport is enjoyable, assume a lot of the people involved with the club just enjoy being part of something/love sport. Which again is another reason they need to share that love and interest with the community more. 

I'd love to have the skillset and contacts to help them with the website, they've got articles from 2015 appearing on their squad page for example. Give some updates on the injured players. Content is king right now, and I feel Truro if they played their cards right could really distance themselves from a number of local rivals if only they got the messaging right.

18 minutes ago, Craze said:

Tbf the whats the point point could be thrown out to anyone outside the top league, Truro are never going to become a big club, that will be rolling in cash, so whats the point? Sport is enjoyable, assume a lot of the people involved with the club just enjoy being part of something/love sport. Which again is another reason they need to share that love and interest with the community more. 

I'd love to have the skillset and contacts to help them with the website, they've got articles from 2015 appearing on their squad page for example. Give some updates on the injured players. Content is king right now, and I feel Truro if they played their cards right could really distance themselves from a number of local rivals if only they got the messaging right.

Shame about the website, but have to say that their social media content is really good. The match highlights package they put out is also right up with some of the best around.

On a purely personal note, they also provide a printed edition of the matchday programme. Can't be cheap to produce.

Gentlemen, don't under estimate the mighty Truro City Football Club and its underlying support, TCFC has been around a very long time, at this stage of the game it's about playing football at the highest level possible, all the community bit will follow in due course, as and when we move back to Truro, someone said to me once, "everybody wants a Community Club but no one wants to pay for it" something I have witness first hand! enjoy the moment.

12 minutes ago, Peter Masters said:

Gentlemen, don't under estimate the mighty Truro City Football Club and its underlying support, TCFC has been around a very long time, at this stage of the game it's about playing football at the highest level possible, all the community bit will follow in due course, as and when we move back to Truro, someone said to me once, "everybody wants a Community Club but no one wants to pay for it" something I have witness first hand! enjoy the moment.

The fundraiser seems to suggest otherwise. I think some sort of community development position would go a long way.

18 minutes ago, Peter Masters said:

All fart & no poo

JW

2 hours ago, Craze said:

The website is another example of how insular they are. They really have no interest in anyone outside their little bubble. 

How can they grow and succeed without the community. ?

1 hour ago, Peter Masters said:

That’s very presumptuous in saying that people will come back. 
Surely you want people to go on the ride with you?

As for saying it’s been going a long time.  Let’s be real. This incarnation of Truro City was founded in 2005 or whenever Mr Heaney came in. 

9 minutes ago, Smiler said:

Jezza you need to let go your constant negative comments about Truro will cause you health problems, if you live in Cornwall get behind them mate, football is coming home

Constant?? believe this is the first thread I have had anything negative to say about Truro City.

And that's purely on the basis of somebody saying they're ahead of the game in Cornwall.

Thanks for your concern though

JW

On 12/09/2023 at 15:01, St Darren said:

The website is another example of how insular they are. They really have no interest in anyone outside their little bubble. 

How can they grow and succeed without the community. ?

That’s very presumptuous in saying that people will come back. 
Surely you want people to go on the ride with you?

As for saying it’s been going a long time.  Let’s be real. This incarnation of Truro City was founded in 2005 or whenever Mr Heaney came in. 

IMG_4111.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Peter Masters said:

Good grief!

”if you know, you know”

“If you don’t know you don’t know” so how is that encouraging people to become part of something. 

I’ve literally no idea what you’re talking about so how is that meant to engage people?  Or am I completely missing something?

Where do you think all these crowds are coming from should you return to Cornwall? If the missing crowds are that passionate about their team, then why aren’t their current crowds reflective of this passion? There is no way that the F Troop will abandon their club for Truro and I bet Mousehole will be the same. When are the people expecting the Cornish football folk to stop being parochial and all head to it Truro going to realise it will never happen.  I like many others couldn’t care less about Truro. No offence but nobody outside of Truro gives a stuff about Truro. 

On 13/09/2023 at 19:42, le boss said:

Where do you think all these crowds are coming from should you return to Cornwall? If the missing crowds are that passionate about their team, then why aren’t their current crowds reflective of this passion? There is no way that the F Troop will abandon their club for Truro and I bet Mousehole will be the same. When are the people expecting the Cornish football folk to stop being parochial and all head to it Truro going to realise it will never happen.  I like many others couldn’t care less about Truro. No offence but nobody outside of Truro gives a stuff about Truro. 

Heard that some of the regular attendees at Falmouth are former City fans, and have no doubt that several have gravitated towards Helston, Mousehole and possibly Blazey. Do not also underestimate how many are making the journey to Home Park in Plymouth to watch a resurgent Argyle.

As I've said before, the Cornish football landscape looks very different to when Treyew Road was finally vacated during 2020/21 They were then a step 3 club surrounded by those at step 6.

9 minutes ago, Peter Masters said:

The Cornish Football landscape has changed  since Truro's move to Plymouth but with a new facility, A30 upgrade, NLS football standard (possible NL) and the infrastructure, the signs are good, time will tell.

You are right, time will tell. Do know as well that football fans (especially in Cornwall) can be a fickle bunch. Decent start for a step 2 Truro in the new ground , and a few old faces will renew their allegiances.