Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Tuesday 8 August 2023

THE EMIRATES FA CUP,  

EXTRA PRELIMINARY ROUND REPLAY

Brixham    0-2  Okehampton Argyle (after extra time, 0-0 at 90 mins)

KITCHEN KIT 

SWPL 

EAST

Crediton United    0-1 Torrington 

Dartmouth    2-4 Ivybridge Town 

Stoke Gabriel & T P   3-3 Teignmouth 

WEST 

Bude Tn      0-4     Callington Tn

Penzance       4-1      Mullion 

Wadebridge Tn    3-2   Dobwalls

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday 8 August 2023
1 hour ago, r_and_l said:

On X mate, lost 4-0 to cally and had 2 sent off. Doesn’t say anything about the reds though so probably just fouls. 

I witnessed the game and couldn’t disagree with either to be quite frank. 

1st one was a last man challenge/professional foul with no attempt to win the ball. The second was an abysmal challenge 2 footed off the ground lunge about knee height.

Thought the referee did well in the grand scheme of things had alot to deal with and dished out a few cards where necessary. 

Was once again impressed with a hungry, energetic callington side. 

First goal was a superb finish on the volley from Connor Pritchard-Lee following up from a rebound, callington then defended very well for the rest of the first half and limited the lively bude attack to a few pop shots. 

Second goal was an inswinging corner from Frazer Ferris which caught the keeper out and parried into his net. Bude continued to push with 10 men but again callington goal was never really heavily threatened. Some nice build up play from bude but that was about it. 

Callingtons 3rd goal came from a poor back pass from the bude number 8 in which Callingtons Kieran Prescott anticipated and latched on to and rounded the keeper to slide home. 

Bude, who were then reduced to 9 men struggled, and Callington could’ve scored 6/7/8 but the 4th and final goal came from a delightful curling free kick from the left foot of Frazer Ferris to round off a superb performance. 

Never let the facts get in the way of a good tale, why don’t you. 
Bude red card and everyone jumps on. 

1st was a professional foul. Nothing nasty, just took one for the team. The second was a really hard challenge, but I disagree that it was knee high. That’s just making things up to suit your agenda. Yeah probably was a red because it was mistimed but let’s not over egg it. And if we are being honest, the scream from the player and the 9 Callington players running towards the ref shouting and balling perhaps influenced the ref a little. I genuinely thought the lads leg must have been snapped. But surprisingly 30 seconds after the red, he managed to get up and walk off the pitch. It’s a miracle, they screamed, it’s a miracle 😉

Bude started the better team, a mistake let to the first red. The keeper had a game to forget and more errors cost them dear. 
I was impressed with Callington on the break and they took their chances. 

However, yet again it will be a pile on towards Bude  Must be doing something right if it noises so many people up

I must say, it’s good to have the football back 😂 

7 minutes ago, The Jam Tart said:

1st was a professional foul. Nothing nasty, just took one for the team. The second was a really hard challenge, but I disagree that it was knee high. That’s just making things up to suit your agenda. Yeah probably was a red because it was mistimed but let’s not over egg it. And if we are being honest, the scream from the player and the 9 Callington players running towards the ref shouting and balling perhaps influenced the ref a little. I genuinely thought the lads leg must have been snapped. But surprisingly 30 seconds after the red, he managed to get up and walk off the pitch. It’s a miracle, they screamed, it’s a miracle 😉

Bude started the better team, a mistake let to the first red. The keeper had a game to forget and more errors cost them dear. 

However, yet again it will be a pile on towards Bude  Must be doing something right if it noises so many people up

Spot on 👍

Entertaining game between Penzance and Mullion in which the hosts won 4-1 and deservedly so.

Two up at the break through Rolandos Sumnauskas (9th min) and Silas Sullivan (32nd min) was fair enough at the break however the Penzance 'keeper Will Trenoweth had to be alert and pulled off a great save with his foot to stop Phil Cattran pulling one back.

7 minutes into second half Penzance increased their lead when Oscar Massey made the most of a Samnauskas pass and with it looking as if the Mullion keeper wasn't sure whether to come out or not, the hesitation enabled Massey to get the ball under control and eventually get a shot in which took a while to roll towards goal and eventually go in.

Three up with the three points wrapped up!

Various substitutions then took place for the rest of the half with one of the subs for Penzance, Kam Collins, getting an assist for Massey's second and Penzance's fourth with less than 10 minutes remaining.

Give Mullion credit though for not giving up which was rewarded with a goal of their own. From a corner skipper Chris Wormington headed the ball down and towards goal with the ball hitting the upright and then bouncing away from goal but then going in off the back of a defender's calf muscle!

Lovely evening for playing and watching which was just as well as towards the end of the match one side of the lights went off, luckily it was perfectly good for play to continue before the lights came back on anyway!    

9 hours ago, The Jam Tart said:

Nice of you to give a 17 year old lad stick for being on the receiving end of a red card tackle and having to walk off the pitch because he couldn't continue 👍

That being said, the comments re Bude's discipline are a bit unfair on tonight's showing as they were both genuine footballing incidents and nothing more. 

Even down to 9 men Bude did still play a lot of good football and were a constant threat so I'm sure they'll dust themselves off and be fine.

Deacs has beaten me to it, but here is the Penzance website/programme report of the Penzance v Mullion game:

PENZANCE 4 MULLION 1
Ashley Waters celebrated his first competitive win as Penzance manager as his charges registered an impressive victory in Penlee Park’s first league game of the new season.  
With Mikey Flores unavailable having sustained a dead leg at St Austell on Saturday, Will Trenoweth deputised in goal. Alfie Turner, suffering from a slight hamstring pull, and Alfie Hicks reverted to the bench. Their places were taken by Mark Vercesi, back from holiday, and St Just CC bowler Michael Fitchett, available in midweek -  the only other changes from the Poltair defeat.
The home side made a menacing start and took a deserved lead inside ten minutes. Rolandos Samnauskas barged his way across the bows of his marker to divert a Frazer Cadman corner inside Toby Fletcher’s near post. The rampant Magpies doubled the damage just after the hour mark with a sublime team move initiated by Rolandos Samanauskas picking out Archie Reynolds with a raking left-to-right cross-field ball, and finished by Silas Sullivan, haring through from his left-back slot, almost ripping the net from the goal frame with a left-foot scorcher.
Mullion enjoyed a forceful finish to the first half and fashioned several clear chances, the best of which vanished when Trenoweth denied Phil Cattran with an agile save low to his left. The Seagulls were made to pay when the Magpies pinched a third early in the second half. Samnauskas was again the visionary, curling a delicious pass down the inside left channel into the path of Oscar Massey who rounded the keeper and finished serenely. The young striker again demonstrated the finesse one might expect from someone straight out of professional football when he ran on to a Kam Collins through ball and finished from a tight angle ten minutes from time.
4-0 would have been ludicrously harsh on the visitors, and they reduced the arrears when Chris Wormington connected with a deep corner from the right. The captain’s header struck the right-hand upright, the rebound off a defender bobbled over the line. Trenoweth then pulled off a stupendous double save from Dan Greet then Jack Noy’s follow-up to ensure Penzance’s winning margin remained at a healthy three goals.
Penzance: Will Trenoweth, Archie Reynolds, Silas Sullivan, Mark Vercesi, Frazer Cadman (Kam Collins 57), Tyler Tonkin, Jacob Trudgeon, Kevin Lawrence, Rolandos Samnauskas (Dylan Walter 74), Oscar Massey, Mitchett Fitchett (Alfie Hicks 63). Unused subs: Alfie Turner, Freddie Neaum
Mullion: Toby Fletcher, Harry Roberts, Ben Matthews, Jack Green (Jasper Turner 57), Luke Hunter, Chris Wormington, Dan Greet, Phil Cattran, Jack Noy, Brodie Kemp, George Molcher (Sean Mboto 83). Unused subs: Kyle Woodhouse, Lee Pawley, Ryan Tonkin
Referee: Tim Burley
Assistants: Neil Rudkin, Guy Pallett
Attendance: 150 (estimate)

6 hours ago, The Jam Tart said:

I'm not sure that a professional foul after 18 mins at one nil down is "taking 1 for the team"........it's probably cost his team the game.

They are the lack of discipline that needs to be cut out. 

39 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

I'm not sure that a professional foul after 18 mins at one nil down is "taking 1 for the team"........it's probably cost his team the game.

It was taking one for the team, however, that early in the game the sensible thing would have been to let the goalie do his job and keep yourself on the park. Clearly the player didn’t think that one through. 

6 hours ago, Dean Southcott said:

Nice of you to give a 17 year old lad stick for being on the receiving end of a red card tackle and having to walk off the pitch because he couldn't continue 👍

That being said, the comments re Bude's discipline is a bit unfair on tonight's showing as they were both genuine footballing incidents and nothing more. 

Even down to 9 men Bude did still play a lot of good football and were a constant threat so I'm sure they'll dust themselves off and be fine.

In no way was I giving the player stick. He clearly took a dull one. I love to see a good hard tackle, but never want to see players injured as a result. The player was injured. His limp was evident for all to see. 
I just stated a fact, the lad screamed so loud I could hear it from a distance away. His teammates then screamed as loud at the ref. This clearly influenced the ref. Yes it was most likely a red without the screaming? Then the lad got up and walked off. That’s not my opinion, that’s what actually happened. My point was more about the ‘knee high’ tackle. Which it wasn’t and was merely added to fit a narrative that many have about Bude. 

49 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

Or there is game management that needs to be improved. 
It appears most will say lack of discipline. 
3 red cards this season already is the headline. 
1 GK last man tackle. 1 defender last man tackle. 1 late tackle on the edge of the box.  Does that scream ill discipline to you. It doesn’t to me. It screams, your playing your back line too high if you keep getting caught out like that. 

Bude are without doubt a team that play on the edge. No one can deny that. However whilst they do on occasion let the emotions get the better of them, they are no worse than anyone else. 

Last word on the matter from me. I do hope the lad from Callington is ok this morning. He clearly got hurt. Fortunately he walked off the pitch, so with luck the bag of frozen peas will have worked wonders for him. 

30 minutes ago, The Jam Tart said:

Or there is game management that needs to be improved. 
It appears most will say lack of discipline. 
3 red cards this season already is the headline. 
1 GK last man tackle. 1 defender last man tackle. 1 late tackle on the edge of the box.  Does that scream ill discipline to you. It doesn’t to me. It screams, your playing your back line too high if you keep getting caught out like that. 

Bude are without doubt a team that play on the edge. No one can deny that. However whilst they do on occasion let the emotions get the better of them, they are no worse than anyone else. 

Last word on the matter from me. I do hope the lad from Callington is ok this morning. He clearly got hurt. Fortunately he walked off the pitch, so with luck the bag of frozen peas will have worked wonders for him. 

To be fair I did see them play pre season and they played the game fairly that day

7 hours ago, The Jam Tart said:

Think the GK was a little bit exposed in fairness to him having to play with 9 and then 8 men in front of him for parts of the game

Saved a penalty also so think he deserves some credit.

Was impressed which Callington. I very gutsy and at times disciplined performance who proved to be clinical when needed. Still unsure why the penalty was taken by the person that took it, wouldn't have had him down for a nominated penalty taker and fortunately it didn't come back to haunt them.

Bude need to address the discipline side of the game otherwise they could find themselves along way a drift in a season where they clearly have ambitions of progression to step 5.

Very impressed by Penzance. Tried to play football the right way, plenty of leadership and talking from the bench, two centre half’s and three midfielders. Very good pressing in the midfield areas too, don’t think Mullion put together more than 5/6 consecutive passes.

First time I’ve watched Mullion and was very disappointed if I’m honest. Assume it was a bad night for them rather than a usual performance!