Cornwall Football Forum

Genuine concern for Bodmin Town

After a couple times watching Bodmin this pre season I’m starting to ask the question where are they actually heading? Obviously the first 2 PSF are great for the club as a whole something Dane and the rest should be commended for getting on. However not being able to notch a win against Falmouth Ivybridge Plymouth Phoenix (think that’s what there called) and Plymstock respectively it doesn’t make good viewing. 

I was at the Ivybridge fixture and in all honestly thought Ivy took foot off the gas and most recently the two lower ranked teams seem to just run them off the park. With such a high well advertised wage budget I’m sure I’m not the only one expecting a tad more? Pre season or not I’m not sure it’s good enough

i think bodmin have tried to put together a team of what is left of better players available  in the swpl , i understand a handfull joined from callington , who  did not do much last year , with the western league growing locally, you just go for what's left,  the swpl is not so strong anymore ,especially the west, think there will be a few surprises in the top six.

Whats going on with St Blazey they sign the talented Scott Piper next minute hes gone and signed for Tavistock and now i have read Blazey have gone and signed Jordan Pearce this is after he had. signed for Bodmin lot of cut throat business going on I think Blazey will struggle this season if they had kept hold of River Allen i think they would of done well but i think they will be in for a long season and a struggle i think Falmouth will also struggle they just havnt got the fire power up front and they will badly miss Ryan in goal young Morgan is a very good goalie but doesnt comand his goal area like Ryan did .

I have been very impressed with my local team Newquay in pre season they are playing some lovely football ,they got 2 more friendlies this on 4th August vs St Day 7 30pm then on Aug 8th vs Newquay Academy 7 30 pm then the real business starts vs Bodmin and the Wadebridge both teams will be in the top half come the end of the season  

Both Scott Piper and Jordan Pearce having a go a step higher 100%. Can't see anything unusual with those two moves!

On the basis of St Blazey game against Shepton Mallet Saturday, too early to think they will struggle. The game finished all square, but St Blazey did enough in the second half to win it, against opposition that did ok last season although admittedly summer moves make it difficult to gauge anyone on last season's performances.

8 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Whats going on with St Blazey they sign the talented Scott Piper next minute hes gone and signed for Tavistock and now i have read Blazey have gone and signed Jordan Pearce this is after he had. signed for Bodmin lot of cut throat business going on I think Blazey will struggle this season if they had kept hold of River Allen i think they would of done well but i think they will be in for a long season and a struggle i think Falmouth will also struggle they just havnt got the fire power up front and they will badly miss Ryan in goal young Morgan is a very good goalie but doesnt comand his goal area like Ryan did .

I have been very impressed with my local team Newquay in pre season they are playing some lovely football ,they got 2 more friendlies this on 4th August vs St Day 7 30pm then on Aug 8th vs Newquay Academy 7 30 pm then the real business starts vs Bodmin and the Wadebridge both teams will be in the top half come the end of the season  

Didn't players used to get criticised on here for lacking ambition?

Lot of assumptions in there, especially after Blazey and Falmouth have played one match (and Newquay haven't even started).

Think it was the great Jimmy Armfield who said he never looked at a league table until ten games have been played. Seems like pretty good advice.

40 minutes ago, Wetsuit said:

Why is everyone anti Bodmin  and pro liskeard and Newquay on here ?

Still a hangover from the Darren Gilbert, winning the league on multiple occasions and not taking promotion days? (Think the word is "schadenfreude.")

Also, never any pro Bodmin voices on here. Who was the bloke that used to defend them vigorously, continually stir things up (and attract everybody's fire), but has disappeared? Beaker or Pugwash I think.

9 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Who was the bloke that used to defend them vigorously, continually stir things up (and attract everybody's fire), but has disappeared? Beaker or Pugwash I think.

Leeds? I liked him.

11 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Not everyone. I'm anti everyone North, West or South of Antony. Some would say it's equality.

Actually very positive of you...

Well advertised budget at Bodmin? Out of curiosity what is it? Are a lot of the players from Plymouth area? 

it does seem strange that players get announced on social media only to move in a few weeks. I guess their saving grace is they are playing up a league 

Blazey whilst probably weaker on the pitch, have decided to adopt a longer term strategy of younger more professional players (the older players less keen on the travel) as you can understand with families and probably more serious nailed down jobs that comes with early 30s 

1 hour ago, Chunkycheese said:

Well advertised budget at Bodmin? Out of curiosity what is it? Are a lot of the players from Plymouth area? 

it does seem strange that players get announced on social media only to move in a few weeks. I guess their saving grace is they are playing up a league 

Blazey whilst probably weaker on the pitch, have decided to adopt a longer term strategy of younger more professional players (the older players less keen on the travel) as you can understand with families and probably more serious nailed down jobs that comes with early 30s 

I thought St Blazey looked really good, better than last season. But what do I know. 🤣

It was on he Bodmin website Jordan Pearce signing for Bodmin then next minute hes signed for St Blazey its nothing to do with the players wont to better themselves its who pays the most money and Loyalty is a thing of the past . 

I think in the Jordan Pearce signing for Bodmin maybe Dane thought he was signing Jordan McCarthy because thats the name Jordan Pearce used when he was playing for Dobwall whats wrong with Pearce im a member of the Pearce club 

35 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

It was on he Bodmin website Jordan Pearce signing for Bodmin then next minute hes signed for St Blazey its nothing to do with the players wont to better themselves its who pays the most money and Loyalty is a thing of the past . 

I think in the Jordan Pearce signing for Bodmin maybe Dane thought he was signing Jordan McCarthy because thats the name Jordan Pearce used when he was playing for Dobwall whats wrong with Pearce im a member of the Pearce club 

Funny you should say that, Jordan Pearce was initially down as McCarthy when he first signed for Buckland last season then mysteriously became Pearce for the rest of the season. My ever observant wife noticed the change but I didn't until she pointed it out one match. 

23 hours ago, tamar.man said:

i think bodmin have tried to put together a team of what is left of better players available  in the swpl , i understand a handfull joined from callington , who  did not do much last year , with the western league growing locally, you just go for what's left,  the swpl is not so strong anymore ,especially the west, think there will be a few surprises in the top six.

I agree with the few surprises and think the SWPL could still very much be a enjoyable league perhaps the impact of the western league locally may force the standard to drop but could well make 3/4 viable shootout for title honours

17 hours ago, silly billy said:

I thought St Blazey looked really good, better than last season. But what do I know. 🤣

I’ve not watch blazey this pre season so couldn’t comment personally I will be though over next few weeks

On 01/08/2023 at 12:25, tamar.man said:

The current West League standard is just the old like the East Cornwall League or Jollys Combination League.

Same as the Western League now, equivalent to the old South Western League.

Standards are at an all time low.

On 01/08/2023 at 14:49, Way Of The Park said:

Still a hangover from the Darren Gilbert, winning the league on multiple occasions and not taking promotion days? (Think the word is "schadenfreude.")

Also, never any pro Bodmin voices on here. Who was the bloke that used to defend them vigorously, continually stir things up (and attract everybody's fire), but has disappeared? Beaker or Pugwash I think.

I did like those two baffoons. Tried to put a name to a face everytime Parkway played Bodmin. Big chap in the middle of the stand ? Had to be him. 

Not this again. 

Cornwall has never had more clubs moving up the football period. That inevitably means that’s that the league will not be as good- lots of lads away to university and America 

Players faster, stronger and quicker nowadays. 

Rule changes have changed the game 

rose tinted glasses

Jake Ashes Mousehole would take these great teams of the past to pieces 

I dare say even the current Liskeard or Wendron team would 

Football has come a long way in the last twenty years. 

Just because Bodmin had a good team ten years ago who refused promotion and just stayed together for a long time doesn’t make them great 

If St Blazey stayed in the swpl for the next 10 years, never stepped foot out of Cornwall, wouldn’t mean that the football down here is any better 

19 hours ago, Chunkycheese said:

Not this again. 

Cornwall has never had more clubs moving up the football period. That inevitably means that’s that the league will not be as good- lots of lads away to university and America 

Players faster, stronger and quicker nowadays. 

Rule changes have changed the game 

rose tinted glasses

Jake Ashes Mousehole would take these great teams of the past to pieces 

Trevor Mewton's St Blazey Team (Hooper, Pugh, Vercesi, Glassop, Daly, Harrington etc) would have put the current Mousehole Team to bed by HT.