Cornwall Football Forum

Obviously this summer the leagues will be coming together as one (something that should have happened years ago).

With this we will undoubtedly see a few teams fold to start with, with cases every season where a team is struggling for players, the football community comes together & random people sign on to play for said team when their own side doesn't have a game, this will now not be an option. Maybe that's not a bad thing. 

The main issue/query i have is to do with teams moving leagues despite not finishing in the top 2/3. I understand the St Pirans set up will be 2 leagues of 16 teams & then leagues of 14 below that. Will this be done gradually? As I think 1 thing that's killed teams in recent years has been the promotions for teams that have struggled, sometimes teams need to play at their own standard & not be moved up just because of other teams folding. For example if a team battles all season not to fold in Duchy 2, finish 8th but the following season they find themselves in the equivalent of Duchy 1, all that does it gives them an even harder task to stay afloat. 

This year Trelawney Prem is an extremely weak league, the lower Trelawney leagues are arguably stronger, there are a few Prem teams that would be mid table if they played 2 leagues lower & there are a few lower league teams that would win the Prem. If you ask 6/7/8 teams to make the step up from Trelawney Prem (Junior football) to what is essentially combination in 1 go, some of those clubs (which are already battling to stay alive) will fold. 

Does anyone know how the merger will be done & whether this has been considered? Will the lower league clubs have a say? 

I had similar reservations when the Trelawny league was formed. This was not based on detailed knowledge of the teams involved, just on the difficulty that new teams coming in would face should they be too good. I suggested that a team that did well (say PPG of 2.25 or better) could be OFFERED the possibility of jumping up 2 divisions instead of 1. And similarly for teams struggling (0.75 or less) a 2 division drop.

This was not received well by the traditionalists! But I will put it out there again. It’s a long way from bottom to top.

And please can we go back to Divs 1-5, not this stupid Prem, 1-4. 

7 hours ago, Roy D said:

Obviously this summer the leagues will be coming together as one (something that should have happened years ago).

With this we will undoubtedly see a few teams fold to start with, with cases every season where a team is struggling for players, the football community comes together & random people sign on to play for said team when their own side doesn't have a game, this will now not be an option. Maybe that's not a bad thing. 

The main issue/query i have is to do with teams moving leagues despite not finishing in the top 2/3. I understand the St Pirans set up will be 2 leagues of 16 teams & then leagues of 14 below that. Will this be done gradually? As I think 1 thing that's killed teams in recent years has been the promotions for teams that have struggled, sometimes teams need to play at their own standard & not be moved up just because of other teams folding. For example if a team battles all season not to fold in Duchy 2, finish 8th but the following season they find themselves in the equivalent of Duchy 1, all that does it gives them an even harder task to stay afloat. 

This year Trelawney Prem is an extremely weak league, the lower Trelawney leagues are arguably stronger, there are a few Prem teams that would be mid table if they played 2 leagues lower & there are a few lower league teams that would win the Prem. If you ask 6/7/8 teams to make the step up from Trelawney Prem (Junior football) to what is essentially combination in 1 go, some of those clubs (which are already battling to stay alive) will fold. 

Does anyone know how the merger will be done & whether this has been considered? Will the lower league clubs have a say? 

It has become FAR TOO EASY for a club to fold a side and either make their Reserve side into their first team, restarting their Reserves the following season, or starting from Trelawny 4. These clubs whip up through the divisions making it unfair to the teams plodding their way slowly up the divisions. These clubs have the same players playing for them, perhaps losing a couple, but they are basically St Piran, Combo or Trelawny sides going for a Saturday stroll climbing through the divisions.

There should be an unwritten rule that if you fold your first team you can not enter a Reserve side the following season. If you fold your Reserves then you can re-enter.

1 hour ago, cornishteddyboy said:

It has become FAR TOO EASY for a club to fold a side and either make their Reserve side into their first team, restarting their Reserves the following season, or starting from Trelawny 4. These clubs whip up through the divisions making it unfair to the teams plodding their way slowly up the divisions. These clubs have the same players playing for them, perhaps losing a couple, but they are basically St Piran, Combo or Trelawny sides going for a Saturday stroll climbing through the divisions.

There should be an unwritten rule that if you fold your first team you can not enter a Reserve side the following season. If you fold your Reserves then you can re-enter.

That rule is already in place.  Any club withdrawing a side must withdraw the lowest placed side.  Its been a Trelawny rule for a while.

13 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

That rule is already in place.  Any club withdrawing a side must withdraw the lowest placed side.  Its been a Trelawny rule for a while.

I assume that there will be 7/8 teams getting promoted then by the fact you've ignored the original post but replied to Teddys comment that was a whole new point 😂

The league should 100% consider doing this over a period of 2/3 years rather than all at once, clubs will fold as a result of this, mark my words. 

10 minutes ago, Roy D said:

I assume that there will be 7/8 teams getting promoted then by the fact you've ignored the original post but replied to Teddys comment that was a whole new point 😂

The league should 100% consider doing this over a period of 2/3 years rather than all at once, clubs will fold as a result of this, mark my words. 

That's because I'm not going to keep repeating myself.  

13 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

Not always enforced though Steve depending on the circumstances. We withdrew our 1st team from Combo last season as we only had 1  recognised player from the previous season left and retained the reserves in Div 2 with pretty much the same squad

27 minutes ago, Steve Carpenter said:

That's because I'm not going to keep repeating myself.  

Sorry, I hadn't seen it. I went back to September of last year on the St Pirans sub forum & couldn't find a post about the league merger. Can you point me in the right direction. 

34 minutes ago, Pitty said:

Not always enforced though Steve depending on the circumstances. We withdrew our 1st team from Combo last season as we only had 1  recognised player from the previous season left and retained the reserves in Div 2 with pretty much the same squad

Different leagues Neil so not enforceable in that respect.  It will of course be all one next season so will apply.

16 minutes ago, Roy D said:

Sorry, I hadn't seen it. I went back to September of last year on the St Pirans sub forum & couldn't find a post about the league merger. Can you point me in the right direction. 

I think its in the Duchy/Trelawny section from memory but I haven't got time to trawl through at the moment, just off out.  The process was also briefed at the meetings.  There has been nothing from the clubs on this at all apart from one asking about the possibility of a double promotion.  If you have concerns get your club secretary to get in touch.

17 hours ago, St Darren said:

If a club folds is the fine enforceable and if so who is responsible for it? 

The rule used to be that the registered players would become responsible for any outstanding fines which a club cannot finance - with each player having to pay an equal share. They would be suspended until their share was paid. Not sure that this is still the case.

18 hours ago, St Darren said:

If a club folds is the fine enforceable and if so who is responsible for it? 

6 minutes ago, John Mead said:

The rule used to be that the registered players would become responsible for any outstanding fines which a club cannot finance - with each player having to pay an equal share. They would be suspended until their share was paid. Not sure that this is still the case.

Exactly this.  It's covered by the Football Debt Recovery Scheme.