Cornwall Football Forum

get rid of all football pundits, they are clueless

Alan Shearer on whether the Sheffield Wednesday player was offside: "the assistant won't be able to tell cuz he's five or six yards out of position". Sorry Shearer, but the assistant was dead in line with the second last defender (the goalkeeper being the last defender) and had to make a decision in real time while simultaneously looking for when the ball was played and where the striker was in relation to the defender. Just another example of (no doubt) highly paid so-called experts talking absolute tripe. Get rid of all of them!

I have the same thoughts Darin , I thought that what Shearer said was disrepectfull to the official .

From the reports on the Wolves game , and I can't  comment personally because I haven't seen it yet , a lot of people agree with St. Darren regarding certain VAR  officials tonight . He perhaps won't on this occasion because I think he's a Liverpool fan .

Have to agree that the pundits, for me, add little or no value to the viewing experience. Shearer is the new Hansen, doesn’t care what he says as long as people listen. The logic to allow Salah’s goal is seriously flawed, the offside law is getting stupider every time it is amended. We did eventually get an explanation of why the Wolves’ “winner” was disallowed- the offside was given against the corner taker when he received the ball in the recycle. However, there was no camera angle for VAR to analyse, so the linesman’s decision was unchallenged.

edit ..

Former Liverpool defender Stephen Warnock told BBC Match of the Day: "It is very frustrating. The laws of the game say the goal should stand but football fans know it should not stand. Toti has to deal with it because he has to believe Salah is offside. The law is wrong in our opinion."

4 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

It's a shame that as they can't use VAR for all the FA Cup games, that they use it at all in the competition!

They don’t use it for the League Cup at all.

And the FA don’t allow VAR decisions to be displayed on the screens!

Having now watched the Liverpool / Wolves game  if Wolves had have won although I would have  been pleased , but it wouldn't have paid my rates  and that's the real world . I'm disappointed that they didn't but my main thought is " what an embarrassment to the professional  game with all the obscene amount of money involved that the offside rule should have so many interpretations that no one seems clear on them . The disallowed Wolves goal is the most farcical  to my mind . The official flagged for offside for the player near the corner flag but play continued with several shots being cleared before the ball was forced over the line . Eventually the goal was disallowed because the original player was at one time in an offside position but VAR  couldn't clarify the position exactly because they were unable to use camera angles in that corner . Sadly much to the anger of Wolves fans the goal was disallowed , even more sadly the VAR  operator was Mike Dean who doesn't seem to like Wolves and has a history of dodgy decisions against them . This  bizarre system of play carrying on even though the assistant has flagged for offside  has caused injuries already with goalkeepers and defenders making last ditch tackles unecesarily  because the offside hasn't been given straight away , so why carry on with it ?

Final question why do male ( if there is such a thing nowadays ) wear black bras now ? Has any one else noticed .

21 hours ago, fenman said:

Having now watched the Liverpool / Wolves game  if Wolves had have won although I would have  been pleased , but it wouldn't have paid my rates  and that's the real world . I'm disappointed that they didn't but my main thought is " what an embarrassment to the professional  game with all the obscene amount of money involved that the offside rule should have so many interpretations that no one seems clear on them . The disallowed Wolves goal is the most farcical  to my mind . The official flagged for offside for the player near the corner flag but play continued with several shots being cleared before the ball was forced over the line . Eventually the goal was disallowed because the original player was at one time in an offside position but VAR  couldn't clarify the position exactly because they were unable to use camera angles in that corner . Sadly much to the anger of Wolves fans the goal was disallowed , even more sadly the VAR  operator was Mike Dean who doesn't seem to like Wolves and has a history of dodgy decisions against them . This  bizarre system of play carrying on even though the assistant has flagged for offside  has caused injuries already with goalkeepers and defenders making last ditch tackles unecesarily  because the offside hasn't been given straight away , so why carry on with it ?

Final question why do male ( if there is such a thing nowadays ) wear black bras now ? Has any one else noticed .

The" black bras" are trackers to see how far they've run in a game. 

The decisions from the weekend were strange.  The offside law can not be implemented throughout football which is daft. The Mo Salah goal is offside in all leagues bar the Premier league, he's not offside because the defender has deliberately tried to play the ball, ridiculous as he only tries to play it because Salah is there. 

The Wolves goal is disallowed because the corner taker is alledgedly offside when the ball goes back to him, he's part of the sane attack therefore the decision is correct. Whats bizarre is that the VAR cameras can't prove this so thry go with on field decision like the Arsenal v Liverpool game earlier in the season. 

I've not seen Match of the day with regards to Shearers comments, but both offside decisions that weren't given are poor from the assistant referees, they're clearly offside, especially the Newcastle goal and thsts the reason whg VAR is there at the top of the game. 

Thanks Darren , that clarifies the " bra " question .

My main point re the fiasco is that  the vast majority of football in this country is played at amateur level . So why bring in complicated rules for different levels .             imagine the  Salah situation at Mawgan reserves v Mevagissey   for example  where the substitute acting as a linesman allowed the goal .

It all reminds me of a quote by Lord Hives when Rolls Royce took over the jet engine project from Frank Whittle . On being told that the design was simple he replied " don't worry we'll soon take the simplicity out of it " . 

The offside rule should be relatively simple so how or why have the rule makers managed or conspired to make it so complicated .?

28 minutes ago, fenman said:

Thanks Darren , that clarifies the " bra " question .

My main point re the fiasco is that  the vast majority of football in this country is played at amateur level . So why bring in complicated rules for different levels .             imagine the  Salah situation at Mawgan reserves v Mevagissey   for example  where the substitute acting as a linesman allowed the goal .

It all reminds me of a quote by Lord Hives when Rolls Royce took over the jet engine project from Frank Whittle . On being told that the design was simple he replied " don't worry we'll soon take the simplicity out of it " . 

The offside rule should be relatively simple so how or why have the rule makers managed or conspired to make it so complicated .?

Totally agree, they've over complicated it. Theyve not taken into consideration that a player in front of the goal is distracting defender or keeper regardless of whether he/she touches it

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

Totally agree, they've over complicated it. Theyve not taken into consideration that a player in front of the goal is distracting defender or keeper regardless of whether he/she touches it

Pretty sure that VAR, and the various rules and interpretations surrounding the offside law, only exist to give Talksport something to fill their schedules with.

3 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Pretty sure that VAR, and the various rules and interpretations surrounding the offside law, only exist to give Talksport something to fill their schedules with.

This is where you're going wrong. If you're listening to that awful station for opinion then you're doing it all wrong!! 

They want to be controversial so they get people to call in. 

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

This is where you're going wrong. If you're listening to that awful station for opinion then you're doing it all wrong!! 

They want to be controversial so they get people to call in. 

Agree with you St Darren. Kicked Talksport, 5 Live, Sky Sports and the others years ago. My life has only been improved by purging myself of the Premier League, Champions League and the rest of it.

25 minutes ago, Keith B said:

You've got to hand it to him though Darin - Shearer was a darn good striker. He was also hard to get off the ball when he went forward 🙂.

There are plenty of oldies who were considered great in the past but would be found out in the modern era.

I propose Peter Storey, Jamie Carragher and John Terry from the rearguard.

Plus Shearer, Franny Lee and Ronaldo from the front line.

Not sure how Harry Kane gets away with all the diving either.

Midfielders a bit harder to categorise.

• 1 month later...

To paraphrase Winston Churchill " never in the field of journalism has so much  time and print paper been wasted on such an unimportant matter " . Drug related murders every night of the week , banks folding and many working people struggling to cope and this is regarded as a crisis .What have we come to ?