Cornwall Football Forum

Combellack Vehicle Recyclers ECPL for Saturday 12th November

1 hour ago, StarMan42 said:

Went over the Sri columb today to watch them play one of the favorites for the titles. What a dissapointment, expected to see quality but found two teams fighting it out for 3 points, how either if these teams are considered contenders in this league shows how much the standard has dropped.

Thanks for coming tho 

6 hours ago, davegrose said:

Who got the goals mate?

2 hours ago, StarMan42 said:

Went over the Sri columb today to watch them play one of the favorites for the titles. What a dissapointment, expected to see quality but found two teams fighting it out for 3 points, how either if these teams are considered contenders in this league shows how much the standard has dropped.

Really?? It was a very entertaining game between 2 very good sides. 

Idiot. I’ll write my usual report later. Rarely get a big headed one out of me. Will say it how I saw it. We missed a lot of chances yesterday that was enough to win two games. But Casey and St Columb deserve credit. They were solid and their centre halves and forwards are very good. Craig Allen and the No.15 at LCB I thought were standouts.

2 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Idiot. I’ll write my usual report later. Rarely get a big headed one out of me. Will say it how I saw it. We missed a lot of chances yesterday that was enough to win two games. But Casey and St Columb deserve credit. They were solid and their centre halves and forwards are very good. Craig Allen and the No.15 at LCB I thought were standouts.

In my opinion both sides missed a lot of chances.. In all honesty could of been about 5-5. St Columb had 1 of their striker’s in goal as the keeper was away! Big win for the reds. 

A real tough test for us yesterday and nothing less than we expected. 

The biggest team I’ve faced in years, maybe since Edgcumbe or Lamerton of 10yrs ago. What were St Columb fed as children? Initial worry at that is obvious, we’re gonna lose a lot of duels and we certainly don’t want to concede too many set pieces. Can handle losing duels if we could pick up 2nd balls and outwork anything on the deck. We did that in spells, but so did St Columb. 

For the neutral I imagine it ticked a lot of boxes. A real good advert for the league when a lot of people say the quality has reduced in recent years. St Columb started the stronger and we had to stand firm for a decent spell of pressure. One of our usual threats in WestallC was for once thwarted by the giants Seery & no.15 at the back for the home side, who both had good games. We eventually showed a little more endeavour by releasing Easterbrook in behind a couple of times but the chances went begging. A sloppy pass in our own 1/3 was punished by St Columb as a cross from the right hand side was helped in by a Pearce misclearance which flew into the far post with WestallM rooted. A deserved lead on the balance. It didn’t kill us completely though, as the threat of Easterbrook again brought about a huge chance with a 1v1 saved by the brave block from the home stand in keeper. Easterbrook again had the next chance, rounding the keeper but unable to get the ball out of his feet, and with a number of defenders getting back the chance bypassed us. But now we were on top. With the aging FT3 off with a niggle on half hour, substitute Ferguson clipped a lovely ball into WestallC to brilliantly lob the bouncing ball over the keeper for 1-1 right before HT. 

With a couple of things addressed at the interval, we came out the stronger. Ferguson again being a menace, controlling a throw in from the left and turning inside a defender to find WestallC, who sent a Columb defender for a hot dog on the edge of the box before opening his body to slide the ball under the keeper for a 2-1 lead. In the ascendency, the next chance was ours again with Ferguson forcing a good stop from the keeper when through on goal. 

This didn’t deter the home side though and around the hour they punished us in a 5min spell. The equaliser a good cross from the right ruthlessly smashed in by Roberts’ left foot for his 100th goal for the club. The other was a Roberts in swinging corner headed in when we were unorganised and likely rattled from the equaliser. 3-2 to the home side. 

From this point it was pretty much end to end with wave after wave of both sides trying to get the next all important goal. It never came, but chances did come for both. A superb cross by Eke was headed wide in open play by the usually reliable forehead of Pearce at the back post. Seery was lucky to only see yellow as a Torpoint attacker skinned him on 20yds and was through on goal bought us a free kick when he was last man. The Robbins free kick well saved again by the home keeper at a good height for him. A few Hussey set pieces also threatened with no one gambling or quick enough to get on the end of them. But St Columb hung on and were buzzing to gift Foxhole some easy tweets in our direction. 

Still hurting today but that’s football. St Columb are solid and will beat most sides in the league. Toughest side we’ve faced this year and will be top 3 by May on that game. For us, it’s only our 2nd loss in 27, so context is needed. Maybe by next weekend we’ll recover to welcome St Minver to The Mill for another big test against our regular rivals.