Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks Cornwall Combination League Result - Tuesday 22nd March 2022

Helston 1-1 Penryn (Cooke)

Att 100ish

A great game for the neutral. Penryn started the brighter & went close early on when Kyle Cooke blazed a volley over after great work from Minto Kent & Steve Brewer. As the half went on Helston came back into it but didn't create any real clear cut chances of their own, Ryn went close again after Helston failed to deal with a corner which led to the ball being fizzed across the 6 yard box but it was the Helston defender who got the touch to clear & not the Ryn forwards who were queuing up. Just before half time Penryns Steve Brewer crossed in from the left, both Helston centre halves went for the same ball, which ended up dropping to Kyle Cooke who hit in on the half volley in to the net to send Penryn 1-0 at half time. The 2nd half started with Penryn well on top & Helston camped in their 3rd, on 55 mins Helston caught Ryn on the counter with a lovely through ball & which the Ryn keeper ran 40 yards off his line to try to claim, needless to say he got nowhere near it & body checked the Helston player for a foul. Although the Helston wingers touch went towards the touchline & Ryn had had 3 men covering, including a man 20 yards further back in the box the ref sent off the keeper, I'm never 1 to slate a ref on here but he got that 1 wrong, as I think everyone in the ground (including the Helston players & bench agreed). Penryn switched it up but the game turned on its head & it was all Helston. They got their deserved equaliser on 65 when they again got in behind the Ryn backline & the winger fired in from 25 yards. As Ryn gaffer I would have settled for a point at that point, but it seemed Helston (3 points clear at the top) were of the same mindset, as they sat off & let us play a bit more. The last 20 was tight with both teams looking dangerous at times but I'd say the Ryn looking the more likely with some dangerous free kicks & corners late on. The final whistle blew & Helston celebrated, knowing unless they drop points on the run in they are the champions. It was a feisty game with same big challenges from both sides & neither team backing down. Well done to Helston, they are a great side & a top bunch of lads, if we do lose out this year it's been to a quality outfit. 

• cornishteddyboy changed the title to LWC Drinks Cornwall Combination League Result - Tuesday 22nd March 2022

Yes good game to watch thought your report on Penryn is very loyal,Helston manager started this game with the same players he would pick for all the 3rd team games 😜, Penryn did have some joy down the left hand side in the first half as did Helston on there left hand side but if we are honest Helston run the midfield 😉  with the sending of I'm sure everyone will have there own points of view however there is only one persons opinion and saying you had 3 covering players your eyesight is as reliable as your linesman and as someone famously said I'm not one to slate the linesman but he got more than one wrong. Good crowd lots of banter well worth the entrance fee

46 minutes ago, Smiler said:

Yes good game to watch thought your report on Penryn is very loyal,Helston manager started this game with the same players he would pick for all the 3rd team games 😜, Penryn did have some joy down the left hand side in the first half as did Helston on there left hand side but if we are honest Helston run the midfield 😉  with the sending of I'm sure everyone will have there own points of view however there is only one persons opinion and saying you had 3 covering players your eyesight is as reliable as your linesman and as someone famously said I'm not one to slate the linesman but he got more than one wrong. Good crowd lots of banter well worth the entrance fee

You're welcome to write your own match report if you think mine wasn't on point, but there's no denying it was 1 way traffic from when we took the lead up until the red card. 

5 minutes ago, Pegs said:

3 players that consistently play 2 leagues above would certainly have that effect 

Of all the teams to moan about loading up I don't think helston are the 1 😂 Not that there's anything wrong with it.

😂😂😂😂😂 I had a long chat with the Helston gaffer after the game who told me that he knew we would have senior players in & that he would do/does the exact same thing. He said the only reason Liam Eddy wasn't playing (as he has many times this year) is because Blazey had a game tonight. He also told me that Helston have decided to put all the best players from the 2nds down to the 3rds as the 2nds are playing for nothing. I had absolutely no problem with that, it's win at all costs. 

We had a tough game at mawnan on Saturday & were left without our starting left back, right back & both cbs. Our back line last night consisted of 2 centre mids (playing CB & RB) & 2 seniors playing CB & LB. Our bench was 2 strikers, 2 #10s & a player we got in from threemilestone, it's a no brainer, I was more annoyed that I couldn't use Ryan Reeve because of our lack of defenders. 

It was a toss up last night between going portleven or helston and helston won out.

A good game with some firm challenges &  the referee did well & a nailed on red for the keeper in line with us viewing at the top side. The boy leivers did well joining in on the left overlapping. Helston having more possession but were a bit blunt in attack. 

12 hours ago, winston said:

It was a toss up last night between going portleven or helston and helston won out.

A good game with some firm challenges &  the referee did well & a nailed on red for the keeper in line with us viewing at the top side. The boy leivers did well joining in on the left overlapping. Helston having more possession but were a bit blunt in attack. 

The viewpoint on the sending off is very much based on where you were watching, I was down the goal end where you come in, standing with a few of my old Helston pals from years ago, no way a sending off from where we were.

You on the other hand at the top of the ground thought it was nailed on. Just goes to show what a job the referee has and that we should accept his decisions because none of us are ever standing where they are, I fully accept the decision because that's how it should be.