Cornwall Football Forum

Stepping down from Senior Football

To all my football colleagues, I have over long deliberation decided to step down from Senior football and concentrate on the Duchy League. I feel at the present time I am unable to give 100% to the Senior level and that would not be fair on players or clubs. I have had a couple of great decades officiating on Senior football and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute, I have met many many different people across all the leagues, and have been treated with the utmost respect where ever I have officiated. I would like to say thank you to all the clubs I have had the pleasure to visit and will miss coming to you. But I have to be fair to myself as much as to football. I’m looking forward to visiting a lot more Duchy teams and will hopefully provide them with a ageing but half decent official. Thanks again to everyone I have had the pleasure to officiate at Senior Level and good luck in the future .

It’s been an education Regards Ian Spurling 

1 hour ago, goodsense said:

To all my football colleagues, I have over long deliberation decided to step down from Senior football and concentrate on the Duchy League. I feel at the present time I am unable to give 100% to the Senior level and that would not be fair on players or clubs. I have had a couple of great decades officiating on Senior football and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute, I have met many many different people across all the leagues, and have been treated with the utmost respect where ever I have officiated. I would like to say thank you to all the clubs I have had the pleasure to visit and will miss coming to you. But I have to be fair to myself as much as to football. I’m looking forward to visiting a lot more Duchy teams and will hopefully provide them with a ageing but half decent official. Thanks again to everyone I have had the pleasure to officiate at Senior Level and good luck in the future .

Senior league's loss is the Duchy League's gain, look forward to seeing you along the way Ian

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

Well sir, your psuedonym would suggest that you have good sense and, if you feel that this is a right decision for you at this time of you life - good sense it is. It's a decision not made lightly I'm sure and indeed, some other referees perhaps should look at themselves also with the same honesty.  

Thank you for all the time you've given to Senior Football over the seasons and, best wishes for your venture into the Duchy league.  Again, thank you again - and best wishes for the future.

Keith is wasn't the easiest of decisions to make but I feel it's right for me as well as the teams,  if I can't do the best job at that level then  its not fair on players . I they come first not my ego. 

Duchy league will not only be getting a superb referee but a top bloke as well. I’m a massive fan of Ian’s style of reffing a game, with a smile, talking to the players which they love unless times have changed since my day and an excellent official who gets 99% of decisions spot on. All the best Ian, great to see you’re still refereeing mate 👍👏🏼️ 

Good luck Ian and senior footballs loss is the Duchy Leagues gain. I haven’t had the privilege of Ian’s refereeing for a while because Probus moved west (not literally just leagues!). I agree with @RAPPO’s comments above - brilliant referee and top bloke. Good luck for the future and hopefully I will see you somewhere soon.

6 hours ago, goodsense said:

Great for the duchy league to have a top ref. Not many better in the county in my opinion. Typically experienced ref no nonsense and know how to speak to players with respect one league loss is another leagues gains plenty of years left in you yet Ian. Good luck