Cornwall Football Forum

No Duchy League Fixtures This Weekend šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Surely Iā€™m not alone in wondering why majority of the Duchy League donā€™t have league fixtures this weekend. Ā 
Ā 

I know itā€™s Junior Cup weekend and some of the sides have got cup fixtures but why when thereā€™s so many other sides not playing are the league not trying to get games played when the weathers decent and the pitches are playable. Ā Poor planning in my eyes considering the poor weather weā€™ve had the last few seasonsĀ and so many games being postponed.Ā 
Ā 

I can only see that thereā€™s one leagueĀ fixture in all three leagues this weekend and thatā€™s Bude 3rds V Polzeath. Ā ITS NOT WHAT YOU KNOW ITS WHO YOU KNOW.Ā 
Ā 

Is it any wonder that teams are pulling out these days. Players just loseĀ interest when weĀ seem to play one week then miss a couple then come the end of the season weā€™re expected to play 2 or 3 times a week.Ā 

1 hour ago, robbie keane said:

Ā ITS NOT WHAT YOU KNOW ITS WHO YOU KNOW.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

care to elaborate on that ?Ā 

I'm not aware of any particular link to the league for these two clubs.

1 hour ago, Footballlover442 said:

I agree. With the good weather this week it makes sense to play as many games as possible while pitches Arnt soaking wetĀ 

and when setting the fixtures we knew how good the weather was going to be this week ?

14 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

care to elaborate on that ?Ā 

I'm not aware of any particular link to the league for these two clubs.

and when setting the fixtures we knew how good the weather was going to be this week ?

To be fair Paul, I think one could make an educated guess that the weather in mid September might be better than that expected later in the year or early 2021. Might have been nice to get a few games in before the next lockdown raises its ugly head as well!Ā 
Can teams prearrange games if neither is otherwise engaged?

Canā€™t really have Junior Cup games without referees and thereā€™s a well documented shortage throughout the county.Ā 
Unfortunately, when you play in the junior leagues you are bottom of the pile when it comes to allocation priority.

One would assume that any Duchy games fixtured this weekend would be left without a referee and therefore it makes more sense to have a week without any fixtures.

At the moment Trelawny League Only has 10 fixtures alongside Junior Cup matches all with referees appointed .

Come Saturday morning I will be very surprised if they are all still covered !!!Ā 

Liam will do his best but we all know changes will happen in Leagues above us by then ....so be prepared to find a stand in to ref .

Next week ( 26th )we are already 7 refs short ......

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

To be fair Paul, I think one could make an educated guess that the weather in mid September might be better than that expected later in the year or early 2021. Might have been nice to get a few games in before the next lockdown raises its ugly head as well!Ā 
Can teams prearrange games if neither is otherwise engaged?

Valid point of course Bruegel, i just think that citing theĀ currentĀ weather is a bit pointless.Ā 

On your last point,Ā  Junior Cup day had to be kept free initially butĀ  once the Jnr Cup games were announced any of the club secretaries could have contacted the fixture secretary or even contacted any other club directly to ask about a fixture - i wonder how many thought for themselves and did so.

I don't disagree that it may have been a chance to play a few more matches, i just get a bit fed up with people moaning, and the initial suggestion that Bude and Polzeath have been given some sort of preferential treatment is plain daft.Ā 

Anyway, we've all had ourĀ little moan, i should know better than to react by now but its been a stressful day!Ā 

Ā 

13 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

Valid point of course Bruegel, i just think that citing theĀ currentĀ weather is a bit pointless.Ā 

On your last point,Ā  Junior Cup day had to be kept free initially butĀ  once the Jnr Cup games were announced any of the club secretaries could have contacted the fixture secretary or even contacted any other club directly to ask about a fixture - i wonder how many thought for themselves and did so.

I don't disagree that it may have been a chance to play a few more matches, i just get a bit fed up with people moaning, and the initial suggestion that Bude and Polzeath have been given some sort of preferential treatment is plain daft.Ā 

Anyway, we've all had ourĀ little moan, i should know better than to react by now but its been a stressful day!Ā 

Ā 

Can you explain why Bude & Polzeath are the only league fixture this weekend then?Ā 

22 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

Ā 

Pretty sureĀ fixtures secretary has been contacted about getting a fixture but as usual noĀ response. Ā 
Ā 

Also using the refs shortage asĀ an excuse doesnā€™t really add up. Ā On a normal week thereā€™s roughly 7 gamesĀ per league in the Duchy League. So roughly 19/20/21 refs needed every weekend to cover matches.Ā But then this weekend there's only 8 games in the east section of the Junior Cup.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Hello the chaps. The official reason is as follows. To get the fixtures out in decent time they had to be published before the CCFA had conducted the junior cup draw. Without knowing so few teams would be involved and with it also being FA Vase weekend I agreed with Liam to not add any duchy games as at the time it was unknown who would / wouldn't be involved and that refs would be at a premium. I have to say I was surprised at how few teams were involved in the Junior Cup first round, but knowing any new games would strain what refs are available common sense dictated a blank weekend. Its certainly strange times starting quite late this year and already having a blank weekend for alot of clubs. Polzeath and Budr organised their fixture between themselves knowing they may not get an official. But it was a risk they were willing to take. St Cleer have also approached me and Lanivet this eveningĀ via Derek WakerĀ about a fixture so any Duchy PremierĀ & Div Two clubs who are keen should let me know asap (premiersixes@googlemail.com), however, there is no guarentee any new games will be allocated a ref so you could be scrambling around for a local ref come Saturday morning.

Ā