Cornwall Football Forum

FA Cup Upsets

I'm fuming with teams that don't take the cup seriously. Leicester, for example, have nothing to play for really, they won't make the top 6 and they won't get relegated, yet they still don't make the cup a priority. I love a good cup final day out, and for me, the FA Cup is still a massive competition. If the FA want to improve its prestige, they should make the winners qualify for the Champions League rather than the team that finishes 4th

On 08/01/2019 at 07:35, Keith B said:

The Big Guns didn't help Liverpool last night though !

Liverpool had no interest in this game. 

On 07/01/2019 at 11:45, St Darren said:

The FA Cup is now rubbish!! Devalued by the greed of the FA by allowing fixtures to be timed accordingly for the TV!

Have to agree. Of all the games in the 4th Round 8 of them are in the BBC & BT Sport

On 07/01/2019 at 11:45, St Darren said:

The FA Cup is now rubbish!! Devalued by the greed of the FA by allowing fixtures to be timed accordingly for the TV!

I think many people do a disservice to Wolves by saying that this was a shock defeat .Klopp  gave a few players the opportunity prove themselves against a very good footballing opposition . . Unfortunately , for whatever reason  , some of the players , including  regular first teamers  didn't play well . Wolves gave the opportunity to Ruddy and Dedonker  to put themselves in the frame but they   both seized their opportunity . Klopps strategy was common sense in a way , Liverpool are fighting , or were ,  on 3 fronts Europe , F.A. cup and league .It is extremely unlikely that all of his normal first team will be fit or suspension free  for all the games , so some of the players who played in his " weak " F.A. cup team will have to step up to the crease ( how I hate the American  version , the plate   baseball is a minority sport over here ) probably in an important league game . At least he now knows that some of them lack a bit of desire for a big game so from his point of view although they lost the game he learnt a valuable lesson . 

13 hours ago, gingerninja said:

Why not? The biggest cup competition in the country and Liverpool think they're bigger than anyone else and don't show any interest? Pathetic 

Haha. How on earth have you got Liverpool think they’re bigger than anyone else out of that. Were Liverpool the only side to play a weakened team?? 

The fa cup could be improved by changing the scheduling. The game comes straight after a busy period of fixtures, Liverpool are top of the League and still in the European Cup. The FA Cup is least of the priorities. 

Woukd have been nice to have won but no major worries about not

And it's not as though they lost to a lower division team, unlike Leicester, Fulham etc. Liverpool have no worries about replays etc. They can now concentrate on the CL and hopefully winning the league. 

But I am quite confident if there was a CL spot for he winner, then that would be a different ball game, excuse the pun 😂

11 hours ago, St Darren said:

Haha. How on earth have you got Liverpool think they’re bigger than anyone else out of that. Were Liverpool the only side to play a weakened team?? 

The fa cup could be improved by changing the scheduling. The game comes straight after a busy period of fixtures, Liverpool are top of the League and still in the European Cup. The FA Cup is least of the priorities. 

Woukd have been nice to have won but no major worries about not

When the season ends, and Liverpool end up with nothing then you'll be sorry. Still the biggest and dry cup competition around. Why should they change the FA Cup schedule that has been the same for decades, because the Premier League want to ruin the whole schedule by putting as many games on TV as possible? Pathetic....again

11 hours ago, hedgerow said:

And it's not as though they lost to a lower division team, unlike Leicester, Fulham etc. Liverpool have no worries about replays etc. They can now concentrate on the CL and hopefully winning the league. 

But I am quite confident if there was a CL spot for he winner, then that would be a different ball game, excuse the pun 😂

I've been saying for years the winner of the FA Cup should get a Champions League spot over the 4th placed team! 

51 minutes ago, baldy said:

I'm just waiting for the TV companies to start pushing for shorter games and smaller teams and multi team events at one venue and no draws allowed. Then it will be ruined, just like cricket!

More likely to be extended like an American football game, 1 hour takes 4 hours to complete!

Just wait until VAR gets started,  the game will be reffed from a room somewhere in the stand.

It'll be replayed on a big screen and we will all be referee's then.

Better make our football 6 hours long in the future.

2 hours ago, hedgerow said:

Unfortunately live games has ruined the game. Cannot wait for the bubble to burst and then clubs will be begging for supporters to come back as the have no TV money. But then they may have to put ticket price up to cover the shortfall. 

I hope not, already costs me £52 a ticket to watch my team

In order for Liverpool to have a better chance of competing for the League and European Cup bring out of the FA Cup is a major advantage in my opinion. Spurs have 5/6 games left in January, Liverpool have 2/3. That’s a big difference for 2 clubs that don’t have the squad depth that Man City have. 

If Liverpool win the league then going out of the cup will have been a massive advantage. But like I said, I wouldn’t have minded winning it!

The FA cup should never be a champs league spot. It’s up to the FA to sort it out in order to get the ‘cup fever’ back. Changing the schedule in my opinion would help that. As well as get rid of the Wembley semi finals!!

36 minutes ago, hedgerow said:

£58 new stand at Anfield. The owners wanted £75 a ticket for all areas of the ground season before last. It won't be long 

Luckily Liverpool have very vocal fan groups to prevent things happening like that. And having Tony Barrett in place will only help that further. 

Away fans now pay a maximum of £30 I believe, that campaign was mainly led by Spirit of Shsnkly supporters group

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

How do you stop touts though? 

You sell the tickets at a sufficiently high price that the only people who buy them are the ones who will use them, thereby eliminating the market. The complete opposite of what happens now. Not fair on the cash-strapped real fan, of course.

7 hours ago, baldy said:

You sell the tickets at a sufficiently high price that the only people who buy them are the ones who will use them, thereby eliminating the market. The complete opposite of what happens now. Not fair on the cash-strapped real fan, of course.

Blimey!! Whats a high price though?

The demand to watch the top clubs is so high that it won’t make a difference. You’ll always get persona willing to pay over a ton. But why should that hurt the ones that buy tickets for themselves?

I can cope with touts outside the ground as as you get closer to kick off the prices go down. It’s the packages that are sold online that get me

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

Blimey!! Whats a high price though?

The demand to watch the top clubs is so high that it won’t make a difference. You’ll always get persona willing to pay over a ton. But why should that hurt the ones that buy tickets for themselves?

I can cope with touts outside the ground as as you get closer to kick off the prices go down. It’s the packages that are sold online that get me

It would hurt the real fans cos they would have to pay a higher price.

Where do you think the touts get their tickets from? Corporates, S/T holders and "members" (many of whom are just there to buy tickets as/for touts).

Imagine selling tickets for a PL game as a free for all. Seats start at £5000 and are reduced gradually until all sold. Do you think the touts would get their hands on any tickets then?

The solutions are there but would not be popular for obvious reasons.