Cornwall Football Forum

2020 Vision

1 hour ago, Roy of the Rovers said:

I think he actually said "challenging for the title" but happy to be corrected.

However, In 2014/15 Tavistock were playing in the SWPL Eastern Division. Two seasons later in 2016/17 they won the SWPL Premier League title!  If they can do it why not other teams?

Well said. We played at Helston couple weeks ago & I must admit I was very impressed with their set up. 10 years ago they were in their dark days, now to be West Cornwall's 'Premier Club' in the Vase & playing Premier division football is what every local lad down West Cornwall should be striving to achieve

If Mr Massey continues to raise the profile of Helston as an up and coming all round good  club for players and supporters to be involved with, as to be fair he has been quite successful in doing so far as there has been many a comment on here congratulating the club on making it a great place to visit he will undoubtedly get the financial backing required to put out a team capable of winning the league. As we all know if a club can back up its ambitions with a decent budget for attracting better players then there is no reason why his proficy can not be a reality.

Steve Massey divides opinion for sure but he is unquestionably GOOD for Cornish football. His enthusiasm creates a buzz and he backs his own ability and believes he will deliver a better team at Helston. Many would like to see him fail but more people will watch and have an interest in Helstom because of his personality and involvement. Helston challenging the usual suspects, why not?

Yeah spot on that Billy. I've always said having someone like Mass involved in Cornish football can only be a positive thing. I personally enjoyed playing with him as a teenager for Truro City and Cornwall and then later playing for him when he managed the County side. Always ready and willing to offer great advice and you won't find a more enthusiastic football man than Mass.  Ultra professional, I remember my Cornwall debut at Sussex and the likes of Sledge, Parrie, Dave G,, and me were sneaking out the fire escape door for an hour or three in a local nightclub while Mass was off to bed at 11 with his crossword in preparation for the match tomorrow afternoon. He just does things right and if the people that are not too sure about him actually got to know him then they would find a top bloke that really knows his football at all levels. I for one am glad he cares about Cornish football.

1 hour ago, RAPPO said:

Yeah spot on that Billy. I've always said having someone like Mass involved in Cornish football can only be a positive thing. I personally enjoyed playing with him as a teenager for Truro City and Cornwall and then later playing for him when he managed the County side. Always ready and willing to offer great advice and you won't find a more enthusiastic football man than Mass.  Ultra professional, I remember my Cornwall debut at Sussex and the likes of Sledge, Dave G,, and me were sneaking out the fire escape door for an hour or three in a local nightclub while Mass was off to bed at 11 with his crossword in preparation for the match tomorrow afternoon. He just does things right and if the people that are not too sure about him actually got to know him then they would find a top bloke that really knows his football at all levels. I for one am glad he cares about Cornish football.

Mark Rapsey in a nightclub.......never! ??

5 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Yeah spot on that Billy. I've always said having someone like Mass involved in Cornish football can only be a positive thing. I personally enjoyed playing with him as a teenager for Truro City and Cornwall and then later playing for him when he managed the County side. Always ready and willing to offer great advice and you won't find a more enthusiastic football man than Mass.  Ultra professional, I remember my Cornwall debut at Sussex and the likes of Sledge, Parrie, Dave G,, and me were sneaking out the fire escape door for an hour or three in a local nightclub while Mass was off to bed at 11 with his crossword in preparation for the match tomorrow afternoon. He just does things right and if the people that are not too sure about him actually got to know him then they would find a top bloke that really knows his football at all levels. I for one am glad he cares about Cornish football.

& because of this he became a professional footballer, heard him say on many occasions 'local' football was just a hobby & he never had to get out of first gear! The arrogance of a Pro footballer but he made it so credit to him!