Cornwall Football Forum

Late postponements

A couple games today were subject to late postponements. Exmouth v Parkway called off at 2pm. An hour before the game with an hours travel and even worse, Cullompton v Helston, called off within an hour of kick off with easily a couple hours journey. 

Is this fair?

Players, fans and club officials end up spending good money on travel for nothing.

Thoughts on how these sorts of scenarios can be eradicated?

The cancellation of the game I was at today seemed to be heavily influenced by the groundskeeper and home management  rather than the referee who should have the final say. 

23 minutes ago, Tantrum on the Terraces said:

A couple games today were subject to late postponements. Exmouth v Parkway called off at 2pm. An hour before the game with an hours travel and even worse, Cullompton v Helston, called off within an hour of kick off with easily a couple hours journey. 

Is this fair?

Players, fans and club officials end up spending good money on travel for nothing.

The cancellation of the game I was at today seemed to be heavily influenced by the groundskeeper and home management  rather than the referee who should have the final say. 

Stop the rain!

Yhere is not a lot you can do.i expect in both cases the rain did not start until a couple of hours before kick off so both teams would be well on their way to the ground.You cannot win because you get people moaning when a game is called off early and if it s called off late ditto.

14 hours ago, Tantrum on the Terraces said:

Is this fair?

I can remember years ago watching local football in the pouring rain and very few games were cancelled. Nowadays if the grass is wet two days before the ko the match officials and the league are thinking of reasons to cancel it Very soon if the ground is too dry and hard they will call off matches. The person gaining is the ref who still gets paid for cancelling it plus his expenses for travelling as far as possible  !

31 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

I can remember years ago watching local football in the pouring rain and very few games were cancelled. Nowadays if the grass is wet two days before the ko the match officials and the league are thinking of reasons to cancel it Very soon if the ground is too dry and hard they will call off matches. The person gaining is the ref who still gets paid for cancelling it plus his expenses for travelling as far as possible  !

I'm sure try referees don't cancel games lightly, with more referees at level 4 now and games at more of a premium all referees are keen to get their 10 middles on the Premier division as soon as possible. I also know most officials will only take travelling expenses and not the half fee they are entitled to (and why not when they have travelled!?)

56 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

I'm sure try referees don't cancel games lightly, with more referees at level 4 now and games at more of a premium all referees are keen to get their 10 middles on the Premier division as soon as possible. I also know most officials will only take travelling expenses and not the half fee they are entitled to (and why not when they have travelled!?)

But why do they have to travel so far - perhaps the cornwall fa should use persons local to the venue.

1 hour ago, BIG AL said:

But why do they have to travel so far - perhaps the cornwall fa should use persons local to the venue.

Clubs complain that they get the same referees over and over again. Also over familiarity with players when clubs travel from afar isn't a good thing. It is interesting that travelling expenses for SWPL is 38p while all other leagues in Cornwall I believe are 32p. Something that isn't in the control of referees. Must also round down to help clubs where possible.

13 minutes ago, middle mans mate said:

Callington v Plymouth Parkway on tuesday, ref from Torquay! £64!

Last season we played ivybridge away in the only game in the SWPL that night, ref came from Bideford!!

Where did the other officials come from? It's not as easy as just saying they came from afar, mid-weeks very dependent on availability due to contrib games and closed dates.

56 minutes ago, middle mans mate said:

Callington v Plymouth Parkway on tuesday, ref from Torquay! £64!

Last season we played ivybridge away in the only game in the SWPL that night, ref came from Bideford!!

This is ridiculous ! Last season the ref. came to Falmouth mid week from Exeter - nice little pay packet !

26 minutes ago, Tommy Matthews said:

If you're envious of what referees are remunerated Big Al, why don't you take your referees course and cash in? At least you'll be giving something back to the game. 

Could not afford the fee - I am not part of a high paid profession.

13 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Could not afford the fee - I am not part of a high paid profession.

Become a referee and you will be!

If there is a doubt before the game and the team are travelling a long distance, there are local referees and/or assessors who are qualified to make the decision. The match referee will only make that judgment nearer the kick off time if there has been a heavy downpour.