Cornwall Football Forum

Oldest Cornish football clubs

Torpoint  are considered to be the oldest club in Cornwall formed in 1887 but The Mill is not their first ground.

The oldest Devon club is  thought to be Tavistock formed in 1888

Reg Hambley at Camelford maybe?

How long has he been in charge  mike ? 

Dave Fisher at Perranwell. Although I believe he isn't the manager now, he must be one of the longest serving.

I believe Reg took the reins in 1990 - seems like a long time ago. Probably just as well he is bald - less visible grey hairs!!

Edited by Guest

1887 - Torpoint Athletic

1888 - Penzance

1889 - Truro City

1890 - AFC St Austell, Newquay

1891 - Launceston

1893 - Camelford

1894 - St Breward, St Just, Wadebridge Town

1895 - Mevagissey, St Agnes

1896 - Bodmin Town, Camborne School Of Mines, Helston Athletic, Millbrook, St Blazey

1898 - Porthleven

Truro City became one of the founder members of the CCFA when they attended the meeting at the Royal Hotel in Truro on 18th September 1889 when the CCFA was founded. Other Clubs present were: Porthcurno, Penzance, Probus School, Liskeard, Dunheved School, Torpoint and Millbrook. City’s first recorded match was played at Truro College against Penzance on 4th October 1889, when they won by 7 goals to 1.

Thanks guys keep them coming .  can I throw another question at you ? Oldest current player .or ex player  John Mathews .at Ludgvan comes to mind not sure how young he is .  think also Tony Claypole played quite late . excluding vets football .  my old mate Paul Birch at Marazion has had a few games up to I think last year 

John Dent played for Penzance aged 57 at Liverton a few years ago. I think Kelvin Hunkin was about the same age when he made a cameo for Falmouth in 2006. Didn't Alan Spencer-Smith play for Penzance in that awful Premier Division campaign?

• 2 weeks later...

On oldest player spoke to John Mathews at work today and he said he was 57 yesterday and has played every game for Ludgvan Reserves this season . as he said himself not just the odd few minutes now and then . well done John