Cornwall Football Forum

AFC ST AUSTELL v CULLOMPTON RANGERS - WEDS 8th APRIL 7.45pm KO - CSWPL PREMIER DIVISION

'After the Lord Mayors Show' a tad harsh M/W.

Defence very solid against a good Cullompton outfit. And remember this was our 3rd match inside 7 days. :c:

Cully are a much improved team from last season and with the euphoria of the Senior Cup Final victory only 48 hours before, this was going to be a challenging match. I am sure that Lafs has got all the lads back with there feet firmly back on the ground and prepared to take the League title. As you say Dave the defence has been especially outstanding this season, only 19 goals conceded in 26 matches, top quality, the foundation of the success this season. I am sure with the size and quality of the squad the boys will adequately cope with the backlog of fixtures. 

Cant be right pastyman, their supporters were on here not so long ago stating the club dont want to be like St.Blazey & Bodmins of old & not taking promotion. Im sure their commitee also said in the local paper they would also be taking promotion. Would look a tad foolish now if it  didnt materialise!

Leedsunited , think you might of heard a whisper !! I for one hope they do not take promotion . Unlike Bodmin,1st year of really challenging for the top league spot , I think they need to consolidate that position build on this yrs squad and see what happens from there .  

They should definitely take promotion if they can, the club is obviously now in good stead and taking promotion up the ladder will only help them with that, they've won the Senior Cup, they will probably win the league and they got to the semi-final of the FA Vase! Winning one of the legs! Keep the momentum going, more teams in Cornwall should be representing us higher up, we have good enough players in the South west. Truro are doing it, so can other teams, or you may just find you've lost that momentum and that chance to gain promotion for a long time. A third of the teams in swpl are better than most of those in the league above. Go for it.

They should definitely take promotion if they can, the club is obviously now in good stead and taking promotion up the ladder will only help them with that, they've won the Senior Cup, they will probably win the league and they got to the semi-final of the FA Vase! Winning one of the legs! Keep the momentum going, more teams in Cornwall should be representing us higher up, we have good enough players in the South west. Truro are doing it, so can other teams, or you may just find you've lost that momentum and that chance to gain promotion for a long time. A third of the teams in swpl are better than most of those in the league above. Go for it.

We know a good half dozen or so SWPL Premier Division clubs are good enough to compete in the Western Premier.

The problem is purely down to the sustainability question. Can any club in Cornwall afford to do it and maintain that level of expenditure season after season?

We know a good half dozen or so SWPL Premier Division clubs are good enough to compete in the Western Premier.

The problem is purely down to the sustainability question. Can any club in Cornwall afford to do it and maintain that level of expenditure season after season?

I don't think it would be easy, but when is running a club easy, & it wouldn't be viable for lot's of clubs, but currently one cornish based side playing higher level than SWPL, there's room for a couple more, or at least 1. Sure St Austell would have to work harder at sponsorship (not that they aren't) & the public could support them more, but a team closer to east Cornwall & Devon have access to a lot of good fans wanting to watch a higher level. Hopefully they get promoted, or it'll always be a question of what if... & not, we were brave enough to try. 

I don't think it would be easy, but when is running a club anything but easy, & it wouldn't be viable for lot's of clubs, but currently one cornish based side playing higher level than SWPL, there's room for a couple more, or at least 1. Sure St Austell would have to work harder at sponsorship (not that they aren't) & the public could support them more, but a team closer to east Cornwall & Devon have access to a lot of good fans wanting to watch a higher level. Hopefully they get promoted, or it'll always be a question of what if... & not, we were brave enough to try. 

Re-read your first sentence Footycrazy, I don't think that's quite what you meant, the second half contradicts the first! Running a Club is always anything but easy it is hard graft all round. I believe that if you take out the words "anything but" then we'd be in agreement.