Cornwall Football Forum

Any Cornish represented England at Schools' Football Association level?

Not Cornish-but Norman Ashe (Falmouth-Porthleven-Illogan) I do believe

Is Norman still living in the Falmouth area?

Looking at an old team sheet
25th.April 1959 Schools International England v Germany @ Wembley Stadium

No 7.(OR) Norman Ashe (Brierley Hill) No.5(CH) Capt.Chris Lawler (Liverpool and No.6(LH) World Cup winner Martin Peters (Dagenham)

Only recall one of the German team No.10 (IL) Wolfgang Overath 1966 World Cup Finalist

• 3 weeks later...

I think that was the level he played as he turned 18 in February 1970. It was listed as England Youth and Percy Bartlett, the CCFA secretary was one of the selectors who put his name forward

The West Briton - not always the most respectable source said it was England Youth. Len was playing for Truro City Reserves, and occasionally the first team. On the back of the appearances he made, he had a successful trial at Aston Villa which evidently didn't work out as he came back and signed for Falmouth before his employment took him to Somerset and he now resides in north Devon.  

I would assume it to be different to the schools as that seems to be a modern term. England Youth appears to be a higher status although that's just my opinion.

Keith Manley from Plymouth I believe to be an England Youth International (Late 60's) although not Cornish he played most of his football at Falmouth.13 seasons 1970-83

It used to be the Under 23's that was the stepping stone to a full England representation but now has been dropped to Under 21's.
Wayne Quinn is an England u 21 International.

Friday sees Truro City FC stage the Schoolboys Under-18 international between England and Wales.

A good attendance is expected by all accounts, but unfortunately there won’t be a player from Cornwall in the match. Mind you, that isn’t too much of a surprise because as far as I have learnt, there have only ever been three Cornish based players to appear at Under 18 or younger level s!

Geoff Lee, the Cornwall County FA Chairman and FA representative has read up a bit on this particular subject and reliably informs me that in fact Mark Rowe is the only English schoolboy that Cornwall has ever had at under-15 level. It may have been just the one cap, but nevertheless, it’s still an amazing achievement.

It came about when the English Schoolboys were holding a 75th anniversary tournament with eight European countries involved and England played off for 7th and 8th place against the Republic of Ireland.

At that age level, the selection was from boys throughout the whole country, whereas the under-18 match coming up on Friday is for boys who have stayed on in full time education. The FA has an under -18 squad, but this is something different as they are players from professional clubs.

Geoff recounts that around 15 years ago, the FA took over the England Schools under-15 team and they ran it as an under-16 competition, but as they don't run that team anymore, Rower is the only ever lad at 15 to play for England.

He can also recall taking Mark up to Carlisle after the player was selected for the squad for another match. The trip included getting the Sleeper train from Plymouth to London and from there up to the North of the country, a round trip getting on for a 1,000 miles, only for Mark not to get in the team!

After 1972, the England Grammar Schools FA and the England Schools FA amalgamated and as far as Geoff has been able to establish, the only two Cornish based boys to have played at the Under-18 level are Dale Band and Chris Morris.