Cornwall Football Forum

Bodmin v Falmouth

6-0 a bit flattering to be honest. We played some good stuff, and had what can only be described as disgusting decisions against us. We had chances at 3-0 down, but poor finishing let us down yet again. Bodmin are by far the best side I've seen so far & fully deserve to go on & win the league. I don't feel they need the help from poor decisions, and Ronnie Swiggs and Gilby agreed with me during and after the game. A spirited performance with plenty of positives, despite what all you knockers think.

6-0 a bit flattering to be honest. We played some good stuff, and had what can only be described as disgusting decisions against us. We had chances at 3-0 down, but poor finishing let us down yet again. Bodmin are by far the best side I've seen so far & fully deserve to go on & win the league. I don't feel they need the help from poor decisions, and Ronnie Swiggs and Gilby agreed with me during and after the game. A spirited performance with plenty of positives, despite what all you knockers think.

Your having a laugh - you got dicked - live with it.

Falmouth must be sick of facing Bodmin this season

0-3 Home, 0-6 Away, 0-9 Senior Cup, 0-3 Charity Bowl

Credit to local rivals Penryn who only lost 2-3 to Bodmin last week.

This was Falmouth's biggest ever SW Peninsula defeat (in 207 League games 2007-13)

Also their heaviest defeat at Priory Park since first meeting in 1953

Not pleasant reading, but that's what happens when you have to rebuild. It's all new to Falmouth Town, but plenty of others have experienced it, and plenty more will again. Blazey struggled last season, but have moved on, and we'll do the same. Our first season at Truro was tough, but the second was much better. You can't rebuild a side overnight, and certainly not without a healthy budget. It will go down on the records as a 6-0 defeat, but I have to be as positive as I can, and nobody hates losing more than I do, but I do feel there were a lot of positives to come out of last night. There are also some negatives. We defended like schoolboys at times, and we know we have to work on certain areas. Going forward we created a number of chances, and against the best side in the league by some distance. Take nothing away from Bodmin, their movement is superb, they also have goals from all over the field. and that's something I've not seen with any other side at this level. Bodmin are capable of running up big scores against anyone, and if they click on the day, they will. I've been in football a very long time, and as I say, nobody hates losing more, but I'm as positive after a 6-0 drubbing as is possible. With a few new faces in next season. we'll be in much better shape than we are at the moment. It's very difficult to get real quality players to move halfway through a season.

What's Chelsea got to do with anything? I've followed them all my life. As for the '7th goal', Jasper said in the dressing room that it had crossed the line. Pretty irrelevant for us at that time in the game, the most relevant point was after 2 mins, and the award of a penalty that in my view never was. Lee Jefferys is an honest lad, and he said he never touched the Bodmin forward, he said the lad came from behind him & felt he deliberately fell over him? I'm not taking anything away from Bodmin, as I said they're the best side in the league by some distance, and the last thing you need is to concede so early. We've had some ding dongs with Gilby on the field over the years, but we've always had a pint & a laugh afterwards, as we do with most other managers. Bodmin are a good club, and I also have to thank them for the loan of their second strip, we inadvertently picked up the wrong kitbag upon leaving Bickland for Bodmin. It turned out to be our 2nd teams used kit from the night before. Ronnie also gave one of our players a lift back to Plymouth, and I also would like to thank him once again for that. I have nothing but admiration for Bodmin Town, both on & off the field.

Floydy & Copey have added to our squad, we had a job to raise a team just before Christmas, they've come in along with a few others, and have made a difference. If you've ever done this, you would realise how difficult it is to start rebuilding from almost scratch. As I've said I've had to do this at Penzance, Truro and now here at Falmouth. There are obviously people who don't want you to succeed, but I'd think it fair to say that both Penzance and Truro were in a much healthier state when I/we left, than when I/we arrived. As I've also said before, and am fed up to the back teeth saying again, this isn't done overnight. I know some supporters are impatient & want instant success, all I can say to them is, either come up with a big wedge of dosh, or be patient. We will make Falmouth Town a competitive outfit again, and yes there will for sure be some comings & goings over the summer months, as I'm sure there will be at most clubs.

Somebody could come in with a wedge of dosh Robbies, but that's called a short term solution and how did Falmouth get in this state in the first place?

People behind the scenes allowed the manager to make large payments to players and when he left those players left to!

Be patient and re-build with players that WANT to play for Falmouth

Maybe try 8 at the back...if they are playing 5 its obviously not enough as they concede goals every week. I do kind of understand the comments of re-building tho and maybe these guys should be judged next season when/if they get better players instead of judging now. Easy for people to jump on a negative bangwagon. Blazey, Newquay, Penzance, Bodmin have all been there in ther last 20 years.

I'd disagree that the formation stops us making chances. We created at least 4 scoring chances on Wednesday, the fact is we didn't take them. There are many positives from our performances of late, and we know where the problem lies, it's obvious we don't take our chances.

As I said in my earlier post Bodmin are a different class, particularly going forward, their movement pulled us apart. I watched them against St Austell a few weeks ago, and like ourselves St Austell played very well, even though they lost 4-0. Bodmin have goals in players from all over the field, which is why they're a cut above anyother side at this level. No disrespect to our players, but if we had a couple of Bodmins forwards, we'd have beaten a number of sides that we've narrowly lost to, or drawn with of late.

Nothing wrong with playing defensively against better sides! 4-5-1 is defensive but gives you a better chance to spring forward. Wing backs can not sprint 70 yards forward and back again if you can't keep the ball, and if you don't keep it they end up as 5 at the back and you have no outlet.

This is getting abit boring now! Surely its up to the manager of Falmouth what formation he decides to play..? I have seen Camelford this season on more than one occasion and i cant remember them playing a 5-3-2. The same with most sides in this league. I cant see how a budget can or would effect the way you line up formation wise? Anyway the moral of the post is to let them get on with their buisness at Falmouth and to stop picking away at results, formations, tactics, beer prices.