Cornwall Football Forum

Four trophy successes in one season?

I know in "Senior" football St Blazey have won four trophies in one season when in 2001–02 they picked up the South Western League, South Western League Cup, Cornwall Senior Cup and Cornwall Charity Cup.

But has any other club done it, and more importantly has any club done it at Junior level?

I ask this because what a season St Day are having! Already Falmouth-Helston Division Two champions by a mile, they are now about to embark on three cup finals: the Percy Stephens Cup against Falmouth Albion; the FH Division 2 League Cup against Stithians while in the Barker Bowl they meet Cury.

Some going. But to ask the question again - has four trophies in one season been won in Junior football?

A very good season for the team if they come through those games successfully.

I can't think of a team that has won four Junior trophies in one season although have played in a team that won three.When the former West Penwith League was in existence there were a relatively large number of trophies played for at the end of season,eg Hannaford Cup,Hospital Cup to name a couple,so maybe the answer lies there.I seem to recall over the years that clubs such as Porthleven,St.Buryan,Madron,Halsetown,Gulval,Marazion,Rosudgeon,Pendeen,all had successful seasons.

Truro GWRSA,from the West Cornwall Sunday League,have the chance of four trophies this season having already wrapped up the Cornwall Sunday Cup and have one hand on the league title (maybe both hands by now) and two other knockout trophies to be played for,the Gerald Sobey Shield and the League Cup.

I know in "Senior" football St Blazey have won four trophies in one season when in 2001–02 they picked up the South Western League, South Western League Cup, Cornwall Senior Cup and Cornwall Charity Cup.

But has any other club done it, and more importantly has any club done it at Junior level?

I ask this because what a season St Day are having! Already Falmouth-Helston Division Two champions by a mile, they are now about to embark on three cup finals: the Percy Stephens Cup against Falmouth Albion; the FH Division 2 League Cup against Stithians while in the Barker Bowl they meet Cury.

Some going. But to ask the question again - has four trophies in one season been won in Junior football?

In the FHFL league you can only win four trophies if you are in division one and win the league, the PSC the lockhart cup and the junior cup or in Div 2 and win the trophies dave has mentioned as div 2 is lucky that it has two cup competitions of its own and the PSC, you could do it from Div 3 like that with the WCC and the TJC as well as the league but a lot of sides in div 3 are reserve sides so cant play in the PSC.

come support the saints at Helston tonight and introduce yourself to the cat on the sidelines if you are about!!!

does anyone know the last time a division two side won the Percy Stephens Cup?????

When we at St Agnes were in Div 2, we won the league, the Barker Bowl cup, final for the Percy Stephens and Regional Final of the Junior Cup! if it wasn't for pesky Holmans!!

good times they were, helps when you have a striker who scores 72 goals a year though

An answer via e-mail, many thanks :

David,

In response to your question on the Cornish Soccer website about "has  any team in junior football won four trophies," the answer is yes it

has been achieved before.

Under manager Roy "Jock" Henderson, Penryn Athletic 3rds achieved a  clean sweep in 1987-88 when they won all four trophies open to them:

Division Two champions; Barker Bowl; Wheatly Cobb Cup and League Cup.

The last division two team to win the Percy Stephens Cup was, if my  memory serves me correctly, St Keverne in 1982-83, when they defeated

red-hot favourites Pool Sports Cub 1-0 in the final at Helston."

David,

In response to your question on the Cornish Soccer website about "has  any team in junior football won four trophies," the answer is yes it

Under manager Roy "Jock" Henderson, Penryn Athletic 3rds achieved a  clean sweep in 1987-88 when they won all four trophies open to them:

The last division two team to win the Percy Stephens Cup was, if my  memory serves me correctly, St Keverne in 1982-83, when they defeated

Could that be an omen with Helston once again hosting tonight's match??

Seems times have changed since 87-88 as nowadays the wheatly Cobb cup is contested by teams in div 3,

Also have there always been three divisions in the FHFL?

David,

Could that be an omen with Helston once again hosting tonight's match??

Seems times have changed since 87-88 as nowadays the wheatly Cobb cup is contested by teams in div 3,

Also have there always been three divisions in the FHFL?

No cat,the three division format was brought in for season 1998-1999 season.

Been down in my dusty old shed this evening and came across some information which means i need to correct an earlier post.

In season 1982-1983,Chacewater won Mining League Division Two,Whitford Cup,Russell Hall Cup and Moon Shield so i did play in a team that won four trophies in one season after all.

As St.Darren said,you do need the help of a good striker and at that time we had a young whipper snapper called Colin Bennetts who played alongside an experienced striker called Treve James.

Hayle won 4 trophys in season 1999-2000.Due to duchy going out of existance we were promoted back to fal/hel 1 after relegation.We won the league,percy stephens and lockhart cups without losing a game and also won the st austell brewery cup by beating senior sides illogan,falmouth town,roche and truro city on their own patch in the final.....happy days :thumbsup:

Hi Dave

According to ex Newlyn players who played for the club in the 1960's the club won 4 trophies in 1968 of Moon Shield, Whitford Cup, Dunn Cup and Hart Cup.

Would be interested to know if this could be confirmed but not sure if any of the cups apart from the Dunn Cup are still going?

As you said Jiggy, the Dunn Cup is still going in that format. In fact the competition has been going since 1905! The others could still be as well, but possibly under a different name. By this I mean that the Hart Cup, which originated in 1950, was a competition for Reserve teams. The Whitford Cup started in 1962, with this one being for Division Two competition. Meanwhile the Moon Shield began in 1964 and was for the team scoring the highest number of goals (whether between all the teams throughout the whole league, I'm not sure).

There's also been the Sports team shield (1965) for the most sporting team in the whole league; the Ocland bowl (1967) was for various competitions, there's been the Hodge Cup (1972) for Division One winners; the Russell Hall Cup came about in 1972 for Division Two winners. The Whear Cup in 1987 for the top goalscorer and so it goes on. There was the Torch Cup as well wasn't there.

What has come of these? Are some at least of them still played for, but under a different name? You've now got the Arthur Pearce Cup, the Jolly's Shield and the Jubilee Cup - did these replace some of the earlier mentioned cups?

Colin kettle who is actually now old enough to play vets football played combo last year ( LAST YEAR)

As for saying combo players of last year,????

What's last year got to do with anything???

This is the 2010-2011 season and the saints are half way to that QUADRUPLE!!!

We beat mullion,perranporth, mawnan and Falmouth Albion to win this trophy all of whom play in div 1 as well as Stithians who are near the top of div 2!

wonder if any of those teams had any players who played combo last year( I expect they did)

You might also like to know that a couple of the st day players came up from the third team mid season!!

Colin kettle who is actually now old enough to play vets football played combo last year ( LAST YEAR)

We beat mullion,perranporth, mawnan and Falmouth Albion to win this trophy all of whom play in div 1 as well as Stithians who are near the top of div 2!

wonder if any of those teams had any players who played combo last year( I expect they did)

You might also like to know that a couple of the st day players came up from the third team mid season!!

No combo players from last year at Stithians Cat - How Dare you!! :D

See you on Wednesday!

No combo players from last year at Stithians Cat - How Dare you!! :D

See you on Wednesday!

You guys are probably the exception!!

Lol

See you wednesday shifty

Just surprises me how ur second team is way better than your first!

really wouldnt say way better!

id say on a a par in most positions!!!!

but people know of all the goings on at st day over the last two years so if you would like to dredge up the past feel free!

with a name like tyson you are probably living in the past too!!! just like the boxer of the same name did for many years!!!

Anyway don't wanna cause a debate and steal your thunder, congratulations for your achievements! Just an opinion that you obviously took a defense to with a reply like that! :)

just hear it all before and seems to be a waste of peoples key strokes

no one mentions all the people at Falmouth athletic that have could,should or have been playing combo or higher,

the guys in the reserves just want to play junior football with their mates!!

nothing wrong with that and its nice to pick up a few trophies along the way!!!

dont think you could steal our thunder!!!

wh'os your team anyway (iron mike)tyson??

To get back to the original post, we at Porthleven, whilst playing in the old West Penwith League, won the league, the Hannaford cup, the Nicholas cup & the Charity cup, & lost 2-1 in the final of the Hospital cup, when the match referee, who will remain nameless, said, as the teams walked on to the pitch, ' no team will win all 5 trophies '. & we lost to a disputed penalty ! :SM_carton:

To get back to the original post, we at Porthleven, whilst playing in the old West Penwith League, won the league, the Hannaford cup, the Nicholas cup & the Charity cup, & lost 2-1 in the final of the Hospital cup, when the match referee, who will remain nameless, said, as the teams walked on to the pitch, ' no team will win all 5 trophies '. & we lost to a disputed penalty ! :SM_carton:

:SM_carton::SM_carton::SM_carton::SM_carton: :SM_carton:

Your a bit **** sure of yourself cat! I don't really follow any team, just spend my Saturday's watching the local Camborne redruth combo sides! 1st teams in my opinion should be your strongest team! Good luck on your trophy quest