Cornwall Football Forum

Oh dear - are the CCFA living in the past?

So what do you think about this one - Truro City have been fixtured with a home Southern League game on Easter Monday, traditionally a day when there is no football allowed in the county apart from the two Easter Monday County Cup matches.

City should be playing Weymouth at Treyew Road on Monday April 25 but their request for the rule to be waived has been rejected by the Cornwall FA.

Southern League chairman Ken Turner criticised the County's viewpoint, going as far to say the rule is stupid! He's now off to the FA to see what can be done, but it was the FA who agreed to it in the first place.

Meanwhile the County FA have confirmed that they have received a request from Truro but commented "When we were approached by the club, we applied the current county rule, which states that no other football shall be in the county on that day and these rules are approved by The FA."

Should the CCFA take a lighter view on this? If they do, of course it won't be long before the other FA Pyramid Leagues want games played on the day in the county. Mind you, on the other side of the fence, not many neutrals bother going to the Easter Monday games anyway!

What do you think? Open up Easter Monday or stick with tradition?

What do you think? Open up Easter Monday or stick with tradition?

I've always thought it's a stupid rule and should be abandoned as soon as possible. :SM_carton:

I was dicussing this with a mate about two years ago and we wondered what would happen if, by some miracle, Truro got into the Football League and were scheduled to play at home on Easter Monday? Can anybody see the Football League accepting it? Not a chance! In those circumstances it would be done away with overnight! :thumbsup:

Plymouth Argyle are playing home on Easter Monday. What's the Devon FA ruling?

whats Devon got to do with it? its all to do with the County FA having Easter Monday as a Finals Day!

If any teams are home then it possibly takes a few five pound notes away from the coffers that Finals day can gather for the CCFA.

In all fairness, I think its a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill! I'm not sure on the logistics and all of Truro arranging the game for another day, but shouldn't be too much of an issue surely?

Plymouth Argyle are playing home on Easter Monday. What's the Devon FA ruling?

whats Devon got to do with it? its all to do with the County FA having Easter Monday as a Finals Day!

If any teams are home then it possibly takes a few five pound notes away from the coffers that Finals day can gather for the CCFA.

In all fairness, I think its a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill! I'm not sure on the logistics and all of Truro arranging the game for another day, but shouldn't be too much of an issue surely?

Darren,

It is the final day of the season for the Southern League, ALL clubs have to kick off at the same time on the same day, 22 clubs altering their fixtures because of the out dated CCFA, no chance.

Some people have mentioned reversing the fixtures with Weymouth but that may have an adverse affect on cash strapped (in administration) Weymouth, Truro City go to Weymouth on 27th December 2010, Weymouth's ONLY home game in a month, a day they should expect their biggest gate receipts.

The CCFA will NOT ALLOW Truro City's No.1 team to enter the county competitions either Senior or Charity cups so why should Truro City have a restriction of their trade on what should be their biggest gate and pay day.

The CCFA is the only county who bars clubs from their cup competitions even Premiership clubs from Man Utd to Blackpool have teams in their county cups.

The CCFA is the only county who has a no football rule, out of step with the rest of the country the CCFA should be barred by the Football Association until they come into line with the rest of the country. The old farts at the CCFA wrapped up in their own importance should step into the 21st century.

Truro City should put two fingers up to all of them and win the day if taken to court, football or otherwise because there is NO LEGAL reason not to play the game.

Stick it up the CCFA, they ducked the issue last season with St Austell and Newquay, reversed their decision later and failed football by not banning both clubs for the disgrace that was Poltair.

The CCFA will NOT ALLOW Truro City's No.1 team to enter the county competitions either Senior or Charity cups so why should Truro City have a restriction of their trade on what should be their biggest gate and pay day.

The CCFA is the only county who bars clubs from their cup competitions even Premiership clubs from Man Utd to Blackpool have teams in their county cups.

I'm not sure if its more a case of a gentleman's agreement that Truro don't play their first team in the Senior Cup. It wouldn't really be much of a competition if they did - 3 levels higher they would walk it. As they did for a few seasons not so long ago.

Regarding the Charity Cup, it's not just Truro that can't enter this competition - none of the Peninsula Premier Division clubs do either!

Truro aren't barred from the Senior Cup (well as far as I am aware) - they entered the Senior Cup last season - being knocked out in Round 2 by Penryn.

Truro City do play in the Charity Cup, as did all members of the SWPL Div 1 W last season along with Perranwell.

So what if City 1st are at home for a final that might possibly include Truro City reserves, the owner dosn't care so why should anyone else. Let them play, no one outside of the club gives two hoots about them, the Cornish Cup Finals always seem to pull 4 figure attendances, not too many of those a season at Truro. But has been said, the CCFA now can't use Treyew Rd for the finals and may lose a few quid with a couple of punters going to the mid table, end of season match that City will be playing.

As for the St Austell / Newquay CCFA balls up, this one has been done to death and in any event, it was The FA who were the ones who overturned the CCFA ruling on Newquay after the club successfully fought against the CCFA fine.

I'm not sure if its more a case of a gentleman's agreement that Truro don't play their first team in the Senior Cup. It wouldn't really be much of a competition if they did - 3 levels higher they would walk it. As they did for a few seasons not so long ago.

so have the ccfa gone against their own cup rules then ? sure it says in the senior cup rules that a team must play its most recognised senior team in the competition :wacko:

traditionally a day when there is no football allowed in the county apart from the two Easter Monday County Cup matches.

I played table football with the kids last Easter Monday - am I going to get in trouble or can I come out from behind the sofa now? Seriously though, common sense has to prevail at some point doesn't it? Maybe this rule was written back in a time when there were no Cornish teams playing at this high a level and now needs updating?

Ivor, I'm not saying they shouldn't play!

I'm just saying in reply to Richards post about the Devon FA, it has nothing to do with them.

The Southern League have ballsed it up though but not scheduling Truro to be away on that day, if they were away, then there wouldn't be a problem.

I can not comment on anything else you said about the FA due to the fact that I'm still playing!

They don't play any professional league games - you know, the top four English divisions - on FA Cup Final day, do they? Never used to. Just throwing that into the debate!

I may be wrong Tom, but surely that's because it's always played after all the league games have been completed!