Cornwall Football Forum

Stadium For Cornwall

Good, lets hope that the Cabinet take note and also vote against the funding. If The Pirates and/or City really need a Stadium, they will find the money from somewhere. Perhaps the two Multi-Millionaire owners will now put up the cash out of their own pockets... if they don't, we should be asking why not ?, What have they got to lose ?

Any Cornishman with any kind of vision must be disappointed by their decision, not surprised, but hugely disappointed by our councillors. The majority being the Conservatives who seemed to be very negative, you would have thought they require some friends right now.

So the decision goes to cabinet, how about a referendum to the Cornish folk, I can't really believe that the "people of Cornwall" would vote against a S4C. Let’s forgot the logistics ie transportation for a minute and look forward to a brighter and stronger economy, just like our main industry which is tourism.

The Statement on the Cornish Pirates Website by Dicky Evans sums it up so well. How can you disagree with what he has said?

Speaking to Planning officers today they still believe it will go ahead, it’s just another obstacle to get over. Good luck to all S4C supporters and keep fighting, it’s not about if it’s when the right decision will be made for the stadium to be built.

Its such a dissapointment it does not look like the s4c will ever get off the ground its what cornwall needs there would be music concerts top class rugby its what the county needs but typical bloody tories .Enough money is pumped into that giant white elephant they call the eden project so why not the S4C ,if this doesnt happen whats the point of the cornish pirates carrying on if theres nothing left at the end of a hard season they just as well pack in and most of the players will leave if they know they will never have a chance of moving up the league ,maybe they could share with plymouth albion untill something is sorted out.

Still too many people taken in by the Concerts and Conference facilities nonsense. Home Park has hosted and failed to sell out some of the biggest names in POP, why would going another 60 miles west make it more attractive to those who might attend ?

Cornwall already hosts some of the biggest names of today at the Boardmasters and Eden Sessions, a small 10,000 stadium could not host U2 or other 'World Brand' groups.

If a business wanted to use Cornwall for a conference, would the organiser hold it at a nice hotel with sea views, or on an industrial estate just outside Truro ?

Truro City are too small, always have been, always will be. Even if they made League 2, crowds would be less than 1,500 average. Argyle get 3,000 Cornish fans every home game, they wouldn't support Truro. The Pirates are the only ones who NEED the stadium, so let the Millionaire owner pay for it. Cornwall Council must ask why they are on the end of a begging bowl, srely if the idea of S4C is a good one, a Multi-Millionaire would jump at the chance to build and operate it.

The scheme is a cash cow, tax-payers should not be asked to pay a penny towards it.

I do not see why my council tax should be used to subsidise something that is to be used by a small number of people. As has been said elsewhere, if two multi-millionaires want it, they should be prepared to pay for it. Then if it is the success they claim it will be, they can have all the kudos.

Nemesis continues to mention the TAX PAYERS picking up the bill and BEGGING BOWLS, Cornwall is good with the begging bowl, already taxpayers from Counties near London (I'm one of them) are paying extra council tax to prop up counties in the far west and the north east, although we argue that council tax is a local tax we have been told we have to pay it. Then we come to hand outs from our European partners, Cornwall is the only county in Britain who receives a subsidy from the European Parliament, bearing both those points in mind it would not be Cornish money spent on a S4C it would be ours and many Europeans who have never heard of Cornwall.

Probably t5he biggest waste of money was the English building bridges across the Tamar.

We all know Nemesis is not Cornish, but he has right to have his opinion within this democratic world. I did state "Cornish Folk" in my last post.

So to all those people who say it shouldn’t be the tax payer who funds the stadium, please answer me this question. Are you happy what your taxes get contributed on? Lets mention a couple, Police and road maintenance, both which have been in decline, personnel have been reduced in the highways department (fact) and also police, quality of roads within the county becoming are nothing but a shambles,Police on the streets are at an all time low, only being replaced by community officers with less rights, less training, and less experience think we get the idea, but we still pay more on our Council Tax each year.

Does it figure of course not. So why not the tax payer pay a contribution towards something that ourselves, Children, and Grand Children will at some point use.

I do agree with nemesis with regards to concerts, yes it could accommodate these but primarily this would be a stadium for Rugby, purely on fan basis within the county.

I’m sure Mr. Heaney would love to come aboard and that could well happen, but as Nem mentioned i do question Mr. Heaney reliability and doesn’t come with a good track record. I’m sure Dicky Evans would rather he wasn’t involved, nothing against Truro City fans, but just my gut feeling. Within all the S4C publicity the pirates have really pulled away from Truro City's involvement.

I’m really not trying to stoke any fire against Truro City and I personally would love to watch league football and premiership rugby within our county, the goal can be achievable but are both sustainable? I have no doubt that the Pirates could get a fan base of about 5000+ to premiership games and probably more, Exeter Chiefs average 8-10 thousand ,rugby is still a hot bed inCornwall and always will so these numbers could well be achievable, I have no doubt.

So to all the doubters who say no to tax payers paying a penny , take the blindfolds off and get Cornwall in the 21st Century, please let me know which English Counties don’t have a stadium, I give you a start Cornwall, you will struggle to find another. Very disappointing day in my personal opinion.

perhaps nemeis could go back from were he came from and mind his own busniss ,leave it to the true cornish to vote.

All the true Cornish left 150 years ago and became Cousin Jacks, the County has been diluted by incomers ever since. I doubt there are more than 80,000 Cornish that can claim to have Cornish roots going back more than 4 generations, the population of the County is over 500,000. Can't blame those who went in search of work, it is the way of the world.

I have said before and will say again. I am a happy Englishman who has married a fair Cornish Maid (probably a hanging offence to some), I have contributed to my town, my team, the economy and no, I haven't bought a Cornish home thus have not inflated house prices or denied anyone the chance of getting a foot on the ladder.

Mounaineer left Cornwall half a century ago, only popped back a couple of times to watch City when they got good, shame on you. Truros Mr Mourinho would obviously be happy swimming in a small in-bred gene pool, in fact his comments in some places would be classed as racist towards anyone outside of Cornwall.

Those who knock me do so because I speak out against injustices, a S4C would be a waste of money at a time when there are many more deserving projects that are ignored. If Cornwall truly wants a project that more than half the population would benefit from, get behind the Dualling of the A30 at Temple.

What is worrying is that they want the council to take the lead in the project, become the biggest risk takers.

If £10m is injected into the project by the council and it does not make money, who will pay for the loses?

There seems to be no mention of the money some hotel group is supposed to putting in if they want a hotel there,

They should have said to the firm building those 1,500 houses, add £10,000 to the price of each to put towards the stadium.

Statement from Dicky Evans:

STADIUM VOTE: STATEMENT FROM DICKY EVANS

Having kept my counsel on the Stadium development in order that the boat wasn’t rocked I have just watched the full Cornwall Council meeting vote against assisting financially the development of the stadium at Langarth by 55/46 votes.

What future for the youth of Cornwall to see top sport – with no development Cornwall becomes an increasingly attractive retirement option for people from all over the UK so we are now entering an era where Cornwall will become the largest old people’s home in the world 100 miles long from Saltash to Lands End. What’s the cost of healthcare going to cost the taxpayers of Cornwall then for crying out loud?

I left Cornwall some 45 years ago because there were no job prospects at all and nothing has changed and nor will it with the closed minds that run your affairs people. Similar lack of vision and closed minds cost the far south West of Cornwall a University (and by association excellent sporting facilities and sportsmen and women) and look what has happened to that development- a huge success elsewhere.

•Three years ago-I guaranteed the breakeven running of the stadium in writing for at least ten years to the Council officers and made sure it’s in my personal will.

•I also agreed to develop a team of coaches and players capable of winning the Championship to bring premiership rugby to the Duchy.

•I have almost kept my side of the bargain Cornwall Council-shame on you.

To Peter Marks and Rod Lyon particularly along with Bill Rees and the S4C Group a huge vote of thanks for your massive efforts trying to turn round an oil tanker bound for the rocks called Cornwall. I also add Nigel Tipple, Rod Coward and Mark Evans to my thanks.

Ian, Harvey, Gavin and the squad-please go out and win the final for all of us so I fully keep my side of the agreement with these people.

Will the last person to leave Cornwall please put the lights out.

Leave the people enjoying this moment of our depression in the dark because they have no plans to improve Cornwall so they won’t need lights.

RGR Evans

Does Mr Evans have a copy of a signed agreement he can publish ? I'm sure that if Cornwall Council did sign such a deal, then the vote would be null and void. However, I doubt if anyone other than Messers Evans & Heaney actually agreed to anything. Some Council members have been swayed and the majority were not, accept it and move on.

Just to get back to finances, if Evans & Heaney are so sure they can make it work, they should dig deep into their own pockets, or sell some of their highly profitable businesses or properties and build the stadium that they want.

Only a minority of people want, need or would ever use S4C, why should the majority help pay for two private sports teams to play ball ?

Nemesis says he has not bought a home, he must live somewhere, could it be a council home, now what are the council thinking of using money to build things that may be used by Truro's Mr Mourinho's emmets.

As for dual carraigeways, nowt to do with the Council those are government projects, highway maintenance are council administered.

Re my 50 odd years away, the official secrets act prevents me from commenting on some aspects of that, even now in retirement I have to be security service cleared every two years.

Nemesis says he has not bought a home, he must live somewhere, could it be a council home, now what are the council thinking of using money to build things that may be used by Truro's Mr Mourinho's emmets.

As for dual carraigeways, nowt to do with the Council those are government projects, highway maintenance are council administered.

Re my 50 odd years away, the official secrets act prevents me from commenting on some aspects of that, even now in retirement I have to be security service cleared every two years.

Home privately rented Mr Bond !

The above statement is from Dickie Evans,and doesn't mention Mr Heaney.He has even put it in his personal will that he will cover break even costs for 10 years should it be needed.Nemesis,stop being clouded by your dislike of Mr Heaney and take on board what the above statement by Mr Evans says,he is after all an honourable man.

Exeter Chiefs rugby club derive a large income from their conference facilities and they don't have a see view.

If the stadium was earmarked for the Newquay area,and you thought that your football club could use it now and again I suggest that you would be lobbying in favour.I along with others believe that your dislike of one person has severely clouded any interest,and would suggest that you aren't a true sports fan.

And there you have it, Evans would cover break even costs (for 10 years), suggesting it would make a loss during and after that period. Why in that case, would anyone, including Cornwall Council, want to get involved in a loss making scheme ?

My opinion of Heaney has nothing to do with the so called S4C, I am more concerned about the financial cost to taxpayers. The question remains, if it is such a fantastic scheme, why doesn't either of the two Multi-Millionaires pay for it themselves ?

The S4C would not be in the Newquay area, it would make no sense to locate it anywhere but Camborne/Redruth/Pool. Regardless of where it may eventually be built no taxpayers money should be used.

Your argument about Exeter does not stack up, the stadium is just off the M5, close to the Paddington main line (London in 2hrs) and 2 miles from the airport. Truro is a much smaller City with no real advantages over Exeter in terms of accessibility.

As yet, no one has put forward a sensible case for spending tax payers money on what is acknowledged as a loss making scheme. As I have repeatedly stated, if Truro City and/or The Cornish Pirates want a stadium, let them build it using their own money, both owners can certainly afford it.

If a business wanted to use Cornwall for a conference, would the organiser hold it at a nice hotel with sea views, or on an industrial estate just outside Truro ?

Nemesis,you stated the above,so my point was the Exeter Chiefs don't have a sea view,not my argument it's yours.

We used to have a place called the cornwall coliseum nemesis and all the top groups played there so why do you think if the s4c wouldnt be big enough for top music events we had it at st austell and we would have it again .I think this will signal the end of the Cornish Pirates because why would the players wont to continue playing for the club if they never had any chance of goin up and playing against the Exeter Chiefs .Millions is going to be spent on this new development in Truro then why cant the stadium be buit the county needs it but im cornish and dont know any better.

Nemesis,you stated the above,so my point was the Exeter Chiefs don't have a sea view,not my argument it's yours.

Where in Cornwall is Exeter ?

My point was in Cornwall you would choose a sea-view over an Industrial Estate. BUT an organiser would choose Exeter over Cornwall due to the logisitics. Keep up.

Cornwall Council must ask why they are on the end of a begging bowl, srely if the idea of S4C is a good one, a Multi-Millionaire would jump at the chance to build and operate it.

What would a Multi millionaire get out of investing in a S4C??

Probably nothing. In my personal opinion, it would not be a good investment. There is no money to be made as proved and said by Nemesis at Home Park.

However, would the stadium be a good investment for the council?

Again, in my opinion... Yes.

People would come down for a long weekend spending money in other areas of cornwall which would benefit cornwall.

For instance, if the Pirates were to make the prem, an away game for the likes of Newcastle would be for many supporters..

Travelling down on the friday

Watching the game on saturday afternoon with a few drinks

Then off into truro/newquay/falmouth etc to carry on the night spending vast amounts on alcohol and other expenses before travelling back sunday.

Or even a relaxing day on the beach if its nice weather either side of the game.

Therefore, it would benefit the council and not an investor who would recieve no benefits that the council would for parking costs in these places etc for the weekend

But hey, thats my opinion.. Everyone has one! Happy days!!

Blakey7- surely if they are coming down to watch rugby, they will do all of this anyway? Therefore your arguement does't work.

I think the point is that if the Pirates don't have a decent stadium then they cant get into the premiership so will not be playing the top clubs and these hordes of away fans will not be coming.

I agree completely wth the views expressed in this excellent internet blog:-

Stadium – why does sport not matter?

May 17, 2012

Two days on, the debate is still raging on the ‘stadium vote’ around the internal emails of councillors. N0-one has yet explained why this request for funding was chucked out by members without so much as a peek at a detailed case, or why so many Councillors were so set against even considering a £10 million investment when the Council has a capital programme of around a billion pounds that no-one has yet kicked up a fuss about?

To be more exact £900.999 million agreed in November 2011 – I think plus an additional £175 million agreed at the budget, partly funded by increased receipts. (Although I could be double counting that last £175 million. It’s still a lot.)

Cornwall Council recently gave £4 million to the Tate St Ives, which Cllr Chris Ridgers said was ‘totally different’ because the Tate had a track record of success. Hm. So do the Pirates. And the Tate has not been there forever – significant public funding went in to make it a success.

Eden, the Tate, FalmouthHarbour, Heartlands, I think even solar farms are getting between £10 and £14 million investment from Cornwall Council.

Yet, for some reason, just over half the Councillors present on Tuesday, chose not to even think about whether £10 million on a stadium for Cornwall would be money well spent and chose not to even give a hearing to thousands of sports fans.

There were members at the meeting on Tuesday who wanted to know why the money could not be allocated to housing or schools or any other scheme of their choice.

There is an ambitious housing programme on the agenda, aimed at provided 48,000 homes over the next ten year, 10,000 of them discounted or for rent. Due to government cuts, the Council is also taking on schools maintenance – and has a capital programme in place.

One thing the money could not be used for is plugging gaps in service provision – capital funding and revenue are separate. It would be like selling your house and living off the proceeds. Sooner or later, it would run out and leave you unable to carry on at all.

So in all that spending and investment, where does sports come? There is a lot of banging on about community and all that, would be interesting to know what priority this is given when so many people in Cornwall feel passionately about it.

Somewhere online is the Council’s business plan. perhaps that will enlighten me.

Blakey7- surely if they are coming down to watch rugby, they will do all of this anyway? Therefore your arguement does't work.

Premiership clubs get alot more travelling fans than div 1. So they would come down in larger numbers more frequently.

Look at my post.. I used Newcastle as an example because I know for one, I have been to away games with friends for the nightlife and weekend and not just to watch a game itself.

How many people go to watch Man U just because friends are going and then heading off somewhere after for an occasion like a birthday?