Cornwall Football Forum

Do Porthleven lack ambition?

Guest devon

Guest devon

Why dont Porhleven go up? do they lack ambition? players cant be to happy again if they finish top 2 and dont get promoted? will players leave?

Guest devon

agree pal. wots the point in entering the league! if you win it and dont go up!

if there ground was not good enough then fair point, but there ground is ok

ambition to a side how many were at gala parc yesterday against st austell i would imagine around 130 if so think of that dropping to around 70/80 with the credit crunch AND the lack of ambition to go to premier no matter how far away you are. there are train services which cost about 7-8 return from penzance/lostwithiel to plymouth stopping at (parkway, elburton,saltash,liskeard) so saying the travelling is a factor that is rubbish. ive gone down to a penzance game before to watch them and that was by train and i live in plymouth and i aint even part of penzance set-up

Guest devon

yeah bodmin as well, i know people give truro city stick for moving up the level,

but surely we should praise thier ambition....shame other clubs cant follow

THERES PROB ALOT OF FACTORS BOUT PORTH NOT GOIN UP. AS U MAY OF HEARD THERE IS A CREDIT CRUCH GOIN ON ATM AND WELL THAT DOES AFFECT ALOT OF THINGS AS PORTHLEVEN DONT HAVE A LARGE BALANCE LIKE MANY CLUBS. AND THEY KEEP THERE GAMES ON A SATURDAY UNLIKE SUM CLUBS THAT CHANGE THERE GAME 2 GET MORE REVENUE. LIKE MOST PLAYERS IN CORNWALL THEY HAVE JOBS AND SATURDAY MORNING IS STILL SATURDAY MORNING ITS WORKING TIME. IF U DONT FINISH WORK TIL 12.30 THEN U NEED 2 B AT CLYST FOR AN AWAY GAME UR NOT GONNA MAKE IT ARE U. AT THE END OF THE DAY IF PORTH WIN THE LEAGUE THEY WIN IT BUT PZ COULD YET OR ST AUSTELL WHO KNOWS WHAT HAPPENS SO ATM PEOPLE ARE MAKING ISSUES THAT AINT HAPPENING ATM. SO LET IT DROP TILL THE END OF THE SEASON. THEN MAYBE A REASON WHY THE CLUB DECIDED TO NOT GO UP WILL B KNOWN. BUT ITS MORE THAN LIKELY THE THING CALLED MONEY. SO IF THERE ANY MAJOR MONEY MEN / WOMEN OUT THERE BACK PORTHLEVEN AND THEN NEXT SEASON THEY MITE SAY YES LOL

yeah bodmin as well, i know people give truro city stick for moving up the level,

I'm sure if someone who had a reported £158m to his name came into Porthleven, then I'm sure they would have ambition to go up!!!

Its down to money, full stop, end of conversation. Not ambition

Guest Man on the Post

Have all the teams in the SW Premier League got a lot more money than Porthleven then? I'm thinking of the likes of Torpoint, Cullompton, Clyst Rovers, Holsworthy etc. How do they manage?

THERES PROB ALOT OF FACTORS BOUT PORTH NOT GOIN UP. AS U MAY OF HEARD THERE IS A CREDIT CRUCH GOIN ON ATM AND WELL THAT DOES AFFECT ALOT OF THINGS AS PORTHLEVEN DONT HAVE A LARGE BALANCE LIKE MANY CLUBS. AND THEY KEEP THERE GAMES ON A SATURDAY UNLIKE SUM CLUBS THAT CHANGE THERE GAME 2 GET MORE REVENUE. LIKE MOST PLAYERS IN CORNWALL THEY HAVE JOBS AND SATURDAY MORNING IS STILL SATURDAY MORNING ITS WORKING TIME. IF U DONT FINISH WORK TIL 12.30 THEN U NEED 2 B AT CLYST FOR AN AWAY GAME UR NOT GONNA MAKE IT ARE U. AT THE END OF THE DAY IF PORTH WIN THE LEAGUE THEY WIN IT BUT PZ COULD YET OR ST AUSTELL WHO KNOWS WHAT HAPPENS SO ATM PEOPLE ARE MAKING ISSUES THAT AINT HAPPENING ATM. SO LET IT DROP TILL THE END OF THE SEASON. THEN MAYBE A REASON WHY THE CLUB DECIDED TO NOT GO UP WILL B KNOWN. BUT ITS MORE THAN LIKELY THE THING CALLED MONEY. SO IF THERE ANY MAJOR MONEY MEN / WOMEN OUT THERE BACK PORTHLEVEN AND THEN NEXT SEASON THEY MITE SAY YES LOL

I'm sure if someone who had a reported £158m to his name came into Porthleven, then I'm sure they would have ambition to go up!!!

Its down to money, full stop, end of conversation. Not ambition

Well said Darren and you also have to remember Porthlevern is a village not a bustling metropolis.

These are the sensible posts, port cannot go up because they do not have the money to do so, give port a break, nothing was said to Blazey and Bodmin who refused to go up in previous years.

Why dont Porhleven go up? do they lack ambition? players cant be to happy again if they finish top 2 and dont get promoted? will players leave?

If players leave then players leave its not the end of the world, dont forget that a number of players left for penzance this season and port still managed to get a good crop.

If these people are so bothered about port not going up then all i can suggest is that you come down and stick your hand in your pocket and start giving port the money to be able to go up.

To Devon & Man on the post.

Have you looked at a map recently ? Motp, if Porthleven had to play, just the 4 teams you mentioned, that would be a 200mile round trip for each fixture, think about it ! Those teams would make the 200mile journey to Port & back once ! Geographically, it is not financially viable for Porthleven to go up ! Ask Alan Carey why he left Porthleven to take over at Bodmin ????

We must be sensible about this fellas, if Porthleven were sat in the middle of the league table, nobody would question their ambition, it is only the fact they have had a great season & are pushing to win the league with a group of lads who are great mates, means that this season, they have a chance to win something.

Porthleven started the season with the same aim as every one else, to win as many games as possible & see where that takes them, not once have they said, " we want to win the league & get promoted ". ! :glare:

Guest Man on the Post

Kevin, in the 1992/93 South Western League season Portleven had to travel to Clyst, Appledore, Okehampton, Holsworthy, Tavistock and Devon and Cornwall Police! Yes I have looked at the map recently and it shows a greatly improved road network over the last 16 years! :D

I have always enjoyed the way Porthleven play their football and, if they took promotion, I think they would be a great asset to the make-up of the S.W.P. Premier League. :thumbsup:

Man on the post,

I think your right, Porthleven would be a great asset to the premier league & im sure that those clubs from over the border would look forward to coming down to us, ONCE, but, if clubs had to vote teams in, do you honestly think, in this current climate, that those clubs would vote Porthleven in the league or vice versa !

I also agree with what you said about the 1992/93 season & the travalling that Porthleven were prepared to do in order to take part in the old SWL, however, i would love to be able to show you a club balance sheet from that year, but i can assure you, financially, we were in a much, much healthier position then, than what we are now, FACT !!!!

Guest Man on the Post

WHERE THERES A WILLING PAYER M8 !!!!!!!!

I think, for most, those days have gone for a few years Kevin. Clubs are going to have to be more creative and work even harder to raise their own funds. Anyway I look forward to the day when Porthleven are playing in the S.W.P. Premier League, where they belong. :drink: :drink:

Lets not get confused here.

Slating Bodmin, St Blazey etc for not going to the Western league is a different kettle of fish.

A business decision based upon crowds, revenue etc is a must when jumping up to the demands.

This is no longer local football for local teams at that next level.

A jump from Div 1 West & East to Prem? Do me a favour.

SWPL officials are making a mockery of their own hard work by allowing this to go on.

Promotion from either of these 2 leagues should be mandatory into the Premier League.

Winning prem sides making the decision not to go further should be respected but not be eligible for prize money.

I feel for Port officials and all concerned here as if they were mid table, the green eyed majority would not be pulling them to task. I grew up with the likes of Porthleven playing at Blaise Park and consider them a Prem club all day long.

What makes the biggest mockery of it all is that many old SWL clubs would give their right arm for the chance to compete against the Devon sides along with some old foes.

Sadly the leagues will take an age to level out and that I am afraid is why you see the clubs towards the top of Div 1 doing well in Cups, its not a coincidence; They are better teams.

Newquay, Penzance, Port, St Austell, Callington could all hold their own in the Prem IMO.

SWPL officials can be rightly proud of what they have created but I fear for their credibility if they do not sort out these promo issues. 2 seasons in and still discussing fundamental issues is nonsense if you ask me.

Porthleven don't lack the ambition...just the finances to operate at the next level. Do you want clubs to bankrupt themselves because they are forced to take mandatory promotion?

We all agree, Porthleven have all the necessary to be a premier division club except the money!

In a couple of years time things will hopefully be different, but equally they may not have the side to win promotion, and that's the chance they'll have to take. Players with the ambition may well leave, on the other hand there are players who for work reasons can't make the longer journeys anymore but still want to play at the highest level they are able to. Therefore they may have to completely rebuild if they got promotion. Who knows?

We'll all have to agree to disagree, but at least they are big enough to hold up their hands and put the club before misplaced ambition.

Good luck to Gary and Kevin, your time will come!

Guest Sport Lover

We will be discussing this year after year while players expect money to play. Because most clubs are paying players they then expect a 'pay rise' when promotion is gained. This then gets expensive for the club and therefore promotion is unobtainable.

If players wages were not a consideration then the additional costs of promotion could probably be met.

If a hockey club refused promotion, despite the finicial climate, my guess is they would be automatically relegated and fined.

Truro Hockey Club for instance their nearest away match is Yeovil and furthest is Cardiff/Swindon, no wages involved and no expenses covered by the club.

I did read somewhere on here that if the SWPL(P) could get 90% of its clubs with floodlights the number of clubs could be increased to 22.

Maybe room for Penzance,Newquay and Penryn all with lights to boost that %.

that would leave Porthleven out on a limb from the big clubs having missed the boat

Next season Port's 12mile hop to Penzance looks likely to change to a 80 mile trip to Elburton

This is a very interesting discussion. Times have changed over the last decade or so regarding travel. I was looking at Plymouth Argyles women fixtures and their closest match is at Yeovil, a 200 mile round trip. They also travel to QPR, Chesham, Forest Green, Bath, Oxford, Swindon, Weston Super Mare and Reading. For one thing the players don't get paid, for another they may have to stay overnight and for another they may not get back until midnight having left at 6 or 7 in the morning.

There was a time when players would die for a game of football, now they wont get out of bed unless they get paid and they whinge when they have to play away. It has always been in the clubs hands and that is money. What on earth is a club putting a team out on the park every week for over £1,000 and the maximum a club can win if it scoops every award is about £5,000. Its about time clubs sent the players on their bikes and pay them genuine out of pocket expenses and £25 a match only. The players cant go anywhere unless they go outside of Devon or Cornwall so what are they going to do. This argument has been brought up before but how daft can we be down here when clubs complain about lack of money but are prepared to pay out 'loads of money' for what!!!

Well said ECPL.

If i am not mistaken the topic question was "Do Porthleven lack ambition" for not wanting to take promotion.

Surely by definition when you are "ambitious" you strive to do whatever it takes to get to the next level.

If you have no ambition you have no desire to extend yourself/push on. Therefore porthleven lack ambition.

How much extra money per season are we talking about here. They don't have to go to london every other week.

How about cutting the player budget a little every week. Even a modest £5 per player reduction per week would save £70 ish per week. twenty weeks of that and £1400 buys you a well decent LDV 16 seater team minibus.

To make it more simple a £5 per player deduction every week £70 x 40 matches = £2,800 for the purchase of a vehicle, insurance and fuel for about 25 away matches (most of which are not all that far). The bus would last a good few seasons so next season you would only be looking at the cost of fuel, maintenance and insurance.

"Its about time clubs sent the players on their bikes and pay them genuine out of pocket expenses and £25 a match only"

That would be a great pay rise for about 90% of The Mighty Clarets!! Hmmmmmmm........what I could do with £25!!

Not everyone plays for the money ECPL. There are still quite a few of us who PLAY for the sake of PLAYING!! At the end of the day you can't put a price on the Banter of a Saturday afternoon with the lads and playing the highest standard of football you can!!