Cornwall Football Forum

Todays Game Truro

Guest blue203

An interesting game. Slough certainly didn't come to defend and when 2 - 1 down left three men up front for Truro corners. Their late sub number 14 was just what City need! Odd substitution, bringing off Yetton just as he, Watkins and Taylor were starting to buzz and had nearly carved out a third goal. Leaving just Watkins up front left the initiative with Slough which luckily they didn't benefit from. With five in midfield there was rarely any shape when most needed to hang on. And so much for the new team spirit referred to in the local press when within minutes of coming on Martin let forth a torrent of foul-mouthed abuse directed at a team-mate who had shouted to him about something Martin had done wrong. He was lucky the ref didn't at least book him. If I were his manager and had witnessed it I would have substituted him immediately.

Unpleasant scene at the end as a tiny group (4?) of Truro "fans" led by a bald bloke taunted the very well behaved and sporting Slough fans. The ringleader has no place at the club. I saw the stewards talking to him but it was very knuckle-dragging stuff: "he started it, mouthing off at me..." The Slough fans wouldn't have been very impressed by the unsporting behaviour and neither was I.

Excellent game, though: could have gone either way but this time the fortune went with City. Glad I happened to be down and able to see it.

Yes, I witnessed the abusive singing after the final whistle. Obviously deliberately trying to provoke a reaction from the visiting fans. Shameful for the club.

Good 3 points. I nearly didn't go. I was beginning to think I was an unlucky mascot, not having seen them win for what seems like ages! Next Saturday will determine whether promotion can be automatic or have to be done the hard way. Pity about the cash situation. If my numbers come up tonight I'll see if I can get that Slough number 14 for City! He didn't touch the ball but gave Ricey a real dig going for a cross and looked like he could provide Yetts and Watto with loads of bits to feed off - including bits of the opposition's defenders!

On the whole, really enjoyed the game today:

£9 for parking and admission - not ideal but can live with it

Stuart Yetton - missed three presentable chances but should have had a penalty in the first half

Watkins unlucky when he hit the post in the first half

Slough had quite a few talented individuals and looked fairly handy going forward - bizarrely the fastest striker on the pitch opened the scoring - with a header from 4 yards!

Truro were awful in the first half and didn't look up for it at all.

In the second half Truro were back on track, Jake Ash headed in at the far post after Truro won a free-kick on the right flank after a crude challenge by a very big centreback!

Watkins had a couple of good chances before he calmly slotted home when through one on one. He looked on top form in the second half.

Truro looked fairly comfortable in the second half and played some excellent football.

Rodney Beer was seen hanging out with the Truro crew and looked to be enjoying the game - fully fledged local nowadays! The small group of Slough fans made a lot more noise than the Truro fans at times, honestly, the place was like a ghost town. What's going on? The only time Truro fans seemed to get animated (other than the two goals) was when the referee made a mistake or when an opposition player was swearing. Shame really.

Otherwise a good win against a side that could have caused a few more problems in the first half.

Yes,a good game for the spectator.Truro came into the game from the start of the 2nd half and controlled the game with some nice football when playing against the wind.On another day with better finishing would have won by 4 clear goals.They certainly created enough chances.But got the 3 points they wanted and deserved.

Reading the Slough Town message board-they did refer to a small group of middle aged skinheads who hadn't realised the football world had moved on from th 70's.

As if appearing from a 'Life on Mars' time warp especially the laughable 'No one likes us-we dont care'.

Being 8 levels below the Premiership they thought it more appropriate to 'No ones heard of us-we dont care'

Guest Man on the Post

The only thing I've heard about Slough is the Sir John Betjeman poem. Someone once told me it was very accurate :thumbsup:

Slough

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!

It isn't fit for humans now,

There isn't grass to graze a cow.

Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens

Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,

Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,

Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town-

A house for ninety-seven down

And once a week a half a crown

For twenty years.

And get that man with double chin

Who'll always cheat and always win,

Who washes his repulsive skin

In women's tears:

And smash his desk of polished oak

And smash his hands so used to stroke

And stop his boring dirty joke

And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add

The profits of the stinking cad;

It's not their fault that they are mad,

They've tasted Hell.

It's not their fault they do not know

The birdsong from the radio,

It's not their fault they often go

To Maidenhead

And talk of sport and makes of cars

In various bogus-Tudor bars

And daren't look up and see the stars

But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care

Their wives frizz out peroxide hair

And dry it in synthetic air

And paint their nails.

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough

To get it ready for the plough.

The cabbages are coming now;

The earth exhales.

Sir John Betjeman

Excellent, especially the house prices. 97 down and half-crown a week wouldn't keep Perranporth in spare bootlaces and Ronin in Botox now.

Absolutely, Mitch, "wherever I lay my hat..."

I didn't join in "No-one likes us", however, because, originating from St Just, it wouldn't be true in my case.

I thought the Slough Number 4 was man of the match. Would fit in well with the Tinners. :D

That big no.4 looked pretty good in the first half, shame about the second half when Watkins ran him ragged!! It was his tackle that led to the free kick for the first goal and he was also at fault for the second... surely not good enough for the Tinners, Isaac... Although I have to admit he was massive and made more noise than the man on the tannoy!

That big no.4 looked pretty good in the first half, shame about the second half when Watkins ran him ragged!! It was his tackle that led to the free kick for the first goal and he was also at fault for the second... surely not good enough for the Tinners, Isaac... Although I have to admit he was massive and made more noise than the man on the tannoy!

no 4 looked good,ohh wouldnt want to meet him on a dark night :huh:

Guest Man on the Post

The attendance was actually 437, (BG website). This compares well with the 240 who watched the match between the top two, Windsor and Eton v AFC Totton. :thumbsup:

So what was the crowd then?

But even just over 400 is poor when Slough are a decent club, a club that Truro fans have never seen and you are in a good standard league now.

A couple seasons ago when you were in a lower league, and played St Blazey in the senior cup, over 600 turned up on a tuesday night. Yes, there were plenty supporting St Blazey but it seems to me the fans arnt quite so bothered right now.

Maybe im wrong.....i just imagined your crowds would have pushed on further now. Forget other clubs crowds, whats up with the Truro fans???

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Trouble at Whitehawk, against Bath and now Slough, certainly gaining a reputation for it. As I have suggested before, news travel fast and they will come unstuck when they meet a club with fans who don't take from anyone.

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned Whitehawk, they put Truro on their toes.

Guest Man on the Post

Out of the 66 teams in the three divisions of the BG Southern League Truro have the 5th highest average attendance. They also have a higher average attendance than 21 of the 44 teams in the Blue Square Conference North and South divisions. Very creditable in my opinion. :clapper:

Trouble at Whitehawk, against Bath and now Slough, certainly gaining a reputation for it. As I have suggested before, news travel fast and they will come unstuck when they meet a club with fans who don't take shit from anyone.

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned Whitehawk, they put Truro on their toes.

perhaps i shouldnt mention the flags at falmouth,perhaps its you thats the :huh: :clapper:

Thanks, MotP, for taking the time to type out the entire poem "Fall friendly bombs on Slough"! The line was going through my head during the game but it would have been hard to get it going as a chant! And, Mike Odgers, well observed! Life on Mars indeed, but I think the club ought to cut them out while there are only half a dozen of them.

perhaps i shouldnt mention the flags at falmouth,perhaps its you thats the :huh::clapper:

Ah yes, Foulmouth Town, perhaps the Truro idiots are deserters from Bickland, they tried to cause trouble although Newquay were sensible enough not to get involved. We may be loud and a bit rough round the edges, but trouble at football belongs in the past.

I no that Truros crowds are good compared to some, but when you look at the investment in the club, What was hoping to be achieved, and with a Vase win and the trip to Wembley, id have thought the fans would be up this season alot more. In fact their down. Thats what im asking. Why are they down this season?

Judge....those Whitehawk stories are classics!! :D

I no that Truros crowds are good compared to some, but when you look at the investment in the club, What was hoping to be achieved, and with a Vase win and the trip to Wembley, id have thought the fans would be up this season alot more. In fact their down. Thats what im asking. Why are they down this season?

Judge....those Whitehawk stories are classics!! :D

yeah paul and when hammers told him were to go he backed down like a scalded cat :clapper:

You certainly have a bunch of tits watching Truro!!

'No one likes us we dont care'

More like.....Where were you when you were S##T!!! ;)

Att 379 for Slough. Thought youd have a lot more fo rthat one? Whats the excuse this week?

You dont need to make an excuse when you are getting the best gates in the Southern League,also drawing good gates when we play away.

Whats your excuse for the poor gates at St Blazey ? by what i've been told most of your fans have lost faith and go to watch St Austell.Better get your act together or you will be playing in the Combo very soon.

Kit65....You havnt or cant answer the question!!

Why are Truro fans not out in such numbers this season?

As for St Blazey, we arnt having a great season and out every cup and not having much say in the league so with little to play for, little for some to enjoy. End of story. The joys of having a poor season.

So come on, are Truro fans getting bored, fed up with higher gate prices??

Not digging as you are, purly intrested.

Perhaps they've either gone to watch the reserves, or the credit crunch has hit hard, and saving money by only going to certain games.

As for the 4 trouble makers, from what I was told by the club stewards, was that some exchnages were made between the 'bald headed chap', and a Slough fan, and these only came to light at the end of the match, when it was too late for any action to be taken.

Guest Man on the Post

Paul, gates are down throughout the Country. 13 of the 18 premiership clubs have lower attendances than last season. Gates are down in Div 1 and Div 2, although I believe the Championship average is slightly higher. It is flattering that you think Truro should buck the trend, but not realistic while a lot of people have lost their jobs or fear losing them. In the present climate I think Truro's gates are good, particularly as the visiting support is restricted due to the travelling involved.

I notice that you have not said what you think the gates should be. Perhaps you could let us know. :D

Kit65....You havnt or cant answer the question!!

Why are Truro fans not out in such numbers this season?

As for St Blazey, we arnt having a great season and out every cup and not having much say in the league so with little to play for, little for some to enjoy. End of story. The joys of having a poor season.

So come on, are Truro fans getting bored, fed up with higher gate prices??

Not digging as you are, purly intrested.

The average for last season was 444 and the average for this season is 443 so far,so not a lot of difference.You must admit the weather we have had over the last couple of months has not helped very much.But I think when the better weather comes you will see that average rocket by the end of the season.

I no times are hard (so were told) but you speak to people and youll find alot of people havnt changed anything about the way they live during the credit crunch!! I work for a supermarket and although times are hard, people always find money for fags and alchol. FACT. So a few quid to watch football shouldnt hit Truro hard.

As you say, the premiership crowds are down, but that division is dull at best. The football league is so over priced now its un true. £26 to watch Argyle is a joke and people wont/arnt paying it. Some conference clubs have tickets as high as £18 to £20. Is it any wonder crowds are down.

As you say, Truro crowds are good compared to many, but most of those clubs have been in the same league for years and havnt got the backing Truro have and havnt had a Vase final at Wembley to help promote the club. If Truro are around the top 4 come March then yes youll see the glory boys out in force. I somehow expected more now. Yes the weather hasnt been great but dosnt stop me and many others I no.

Do you think Kevin Heany is pleased or disapointed with the crowds right now?

Guest Man on the Post

Paul, I note that you have again failed to say what you think the attendances should be!!

The main supermarkets are, however, losing market share to the likes of Aldi and Lidl. At least Truro are maintaining their market share. Kevin Heaney would, of course, like bigger crowds but no doubt accepts that this will not happen in the current climate.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this Paul. :D

The crowds have steadied at around 400 - 450 this season, which we expected that level at Western Premier, and I think it was anticipated that this would be over 500 on a regular basis this season, but for some reason, people aren't coming this season.

Maybe some people who had just seen the team wipe the floor with teams in the Western came and saw a few matches this season, where they had a mini-blip, and didn't have the urge to come back.

Yes, maybe there are glory hunters, but the club needs them to jump on to keep the money rolling in when the pyramid climbing continues.

Out of interest, what do you think Truro's crowd would be if things were to go tits up and they were to drop a division or two (unlikely I think), or they became "mid-table obscurity" ??

I think at the moment that 400 - 500 isnt' that bad to be fair. But to be sustainable in the division they are in, and one higher, they are going to need a lot more than that.

Guest Windsor Rebel

I am a Slough fan who travelled down for the weekend with two mates and stayed in St. Agnes. It was a good game and i think we shaded the first half, but Truro were the better side in the second half and deserved their win. As for the 4 or 5 retards, all i can say is most fans who have watched football for a long time have seen it all before - too many beers and not enough brains. These people make me laugh, big men in their own back yard, but where were they at Slough? Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season, Truro!

What a pity that a few idiots are spoiling the image of City, who really could do without such louts. Whatever our prejudices and passions we should all wish them every success and concentrate in our own backyards. :drink:

chairman ,your intelligent to know that ever team has a few idots,take newquay for example,you will never get rid of them all,and paul you being an argle fan know they are the most fickle fans ever.they only sing when there winning,thats why there chairman didnt finish the stands,because he knew that after awhile the crowds would go down to the usual 9 to 10 thousand crowds :c:

Poor shot Mr T M, clearly deflecting the fact that Truro have gained some idiots (possibly at the expense of Foulmouth Town) and that Newquay have some of the most loyal, loud and non-violent fans in the county.

I have not witnessed a single incident of trouble at any Newquay match in 11 years, a few choice words perhaps but no violence. How are the Bath fans now by the way ?

Put your own house in order before slating others, Newquay fans travel all over the place regardless of where they are in the league or where they play... and when the first team don't have a game, we follow the Combo side, not too many other clubs fans can match us for loyalty, glory hunters we ain't !

Judge I dont doubt the Newquay supporters are a good bunch.And I dont agree with any form of violence at football matches,but all it would take is for the likes of you with your wicked and poisoness tongue to go to someone elses club and spout off with insults like you do on this forum to the home fans then you can understand how violence could be started.Everyone has the right to an opinion if it is put across in the correct way,but im afraid mate you go way over the top with some of the stuff you write.

Poor shot Mr T M, clearly deflecting the fact that Truro have gained some idiots (possibly at the expense of Foulmouth Town) and that Newquay have some of the most loyal, loud and non-violent fans in the county.

I have not witnessed a single incident of trouble at any Newquay match in 11 years, a few choice words perhaps but no violence. How are the Bath fans now by the way ?

Put your own house in order before slating others, Newquay fans travel all over the place regardless of where they are in the league or where they play... and when the first team don't have a game, we follow the Combo side, not too many other clubs fans can match us for loyalty, glory hunters we ain't !

judge i have been to 1 game where you have been there 2

it was 2-3 years ago against st blazey where you were giving the ref s**t infact alot more then the 'bould man' did at the truro game to some slough fans.... but i suppose thats alright becuase its you

your a class a ******