Cornwall Football Forum

Combination results 20/12

Here are the results as I have them. All but 2 came from the league secretary so one result is different to yours Tucks

Falmouth Town Reserves (Ryan Harris 2, Wayne Hewitt 2, Steve Kellow 2, Ross Bowden 2, Paul Wolstencroft) 9-0 Wendron CC United Reserves

Att - 20

Holman SC (Tony Eddy) 1-4 Perranporth (Bryan Hawke, Kayne Trevaskis, Dean Harris, Alex Arquati)

Att - 30

Mullion (Dan Stidwell 2, Sean Flynn, Rob Carey) 4-4 St Agnes (Rid Purnell 2, Tom Benny, Matt Eddy)

Att - 30

Newquay Reserves (Orrin Crowle 2, Dave Rabone) 3-1 St Day (Lee Duffield)

Att - 40

Penzance Reserves (Ashley Thomas) 1-2 Helston Athletic (Mark Goldsworthy, Tom Sobey)

Att - 38

Portreath (Adam Nucifero, Dwayne Britton) 2-2 Porthleven Reserves (Aaron Collick, Nick Perry)

Att - 15

St Ives Town (Darren Steadman) 1-1 Illogan RBL (Ben Widdershoven)

Att - 17

St Just (Neil Curnow, Chris Curnow, Tom Mannering) 3-1 Hayle Reserves (Simon Bevis)

Att - 40

Newquay 3 - 1 St Day

Newquay continued their run of good form with a victory over St Day in a scrappy match at Mount Wise. Newquay couldn't have hoped for a better start as David Rabone was found by Orrin Crowle after an attacking run down the middle of the St Day defence, Rabone hit a first time drive from twenty yards that curled away and went in via the post.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Rabone hammers the ball home for the opening goal

St Day struggled to put the Newquay goal under pressure but may have got back into the game late on in the first half when a great opportunity was headed wide from close range.

large.jpg

Newquay didn't use the conditions to their advantage and despite a number of reasonable opportunities, Newquay went in at half-time one goal to the good.

In the second half Newquay had to endure a substantial amount of pressue, however, St Day were unable to convert their opportunities. Some great work by David Rabone resulted in a through ball that youngster Orrin Crowle latched onto, rounding the 'keeper and confidently slotting the ball home. The goal could not have come at a better time for Newquay as St Day had experienced the greater share of possesion in the second half. Soon after, James Merrikin gathered the ball from a corner kick, rolled the ball out to Shaun Lawrence who dribbled the ball to the half-way line and slotted an inch-perfect pass for Orrin Crowle to run on to, he used his pace to outstrip the defender and clipped the ball past the goalkeeper for an outstanding second goal to put the game seemingly out of sight.

Within moments St Day had pulled a goal back, a hopeful long ball by St Day's No.1 was dropped by Merrikin after a collision with Adam Weller and the ball was tucked away into the unguarded net. St Day had the ball in the net soon after, although the referee disallowed the goal following a foul on the Newquay goalkeeper. St Day also had a late penalty shout turned away after the referee adjudged a goalbound effort to have hit Andy Harris on the shoulder.

In the end it appeared to be a fairly comfortable win for Newquay, who have found form at a good time in advance of their meeting with local rivals Perranporth next week.

Man of the match - Orrin Crowle, fantastic two-goal contribution.

Attendance - 40

All photos © cornwall-photos.com.

some great photos there mitch.all in all the best team won on the day. we havent played for three weeks and it showed, no disrespect to newquay as they fully deserved their win but if st day are to realise their own ambitions then they need to vastly improve on this performance.

as always some great banter from the sidelines and the players, keep it up lads. see you at our place for some good old fashioned soccer.

mitch was running the line , Peppermint, so he had a great view of all the action. he only cane on for 5 mins at the end

St Agnes went 2 - 0 down within 10 minutes of kick off and it looked as if the writing was seriously on the wall for the Aggie boys!

3-0 down and it was all falling apart until Rid Purnell pulled one back by making room for himself in the box and striking well into the net - 3-1, the celebrations short lived as in injury time approaching the half time whistle Mullion struck again leaving a dejected St Agnes heading to the changing rooms 4-1 down!

A few choice words at half time from St Agnes manager brought out a committed and resilient St Agnes team producing everything in the 2nd half they had failed to produce in the 1st half.

Within 10 minutes of the 2nd half St Agnes scored when Darren Murrish delivered a corner ball for Matt Eddy to head home.

St Agnes then made 3 when Lewis Bridger delivered a long ball into the box which Tom Benney controlled with his chest placing it into the bottom corner.

St Agnes kept pressing and Rid Purnell rose like a salmon to meet a ball in the box to head over the keeper to bring the scores to 4 all at the final whistle.

A great come back for St Agnes against a strong Mullion team unbeaten for 9 games.

St Agnes manager Martyn Kimmins a happy man with his teams well deserved point!

(Sorry I don't know the Mullion scorers but I would estimate the crowd at 30)

Guest Peppermint

Sounds like a cracking match Aggiemaid - was Alan Carey in charge of Mullion today?

Agree with St Day No1 - Mitch is a top bloke and we have a great bunch of local players at Newquay in both squads.

Thanks guys, the five minutes is very generous though! I now know what it feels like to be used as a injury time substitute without getting a cap for my troubles.... By my reckoning it was less that sixty seconds and if it wasn't for the referee ending the game I think I would have been penalised for a foul before I'd even touched the ball!

Phil Bunt has an excellent eye for detail and he always seems to capture the best moments. Phil's images make it a lot easier to write a match report as the pictures tell all. Running the line made it a little easier too, although I have to admit it has made me think about complaining about offside decisions and the way players speak to officials. I was going to add a couple more photos to balance things out, unfortunately it is limited to four per post.

So here's one of the young lad that provided the assist for St Day's goal... looks familiar...

large.jpg

Portreath 2 - Porthleven 2. Portreath better side in the first half & deservedly took the lead through Adam Mucifero. Porthleven equalised when Chris Strike crossed for Aaron Collick to head in. Portreath's best player, Dwayne Britton then scored a brilliant individual goal to take his team in with a well deserved lead. Porthleven huffed & puffed in the second half, pushing the home side back but they were always dangerous on the break & looked the more likely to score again. Porthleven keeper Mark Thomas made a brilliant save to keep his side in it & 15mins from time, visiting substitute Nick Perry pounced to lash home a loose ball. Thomas then made an even better save to earn his team a point. Portreath will probably be dissapointed with a draw but Porthleven will feel they earned it with a much improved 2nd half. Not a great spectacle it has to be said on a pitch that can only be decribed as poor. I would like to appologise to Portreath for not going back to the legion after the game as most of the boys had xmas party's to attend. No excuse i know but please except my appology & good luck for the rest of the season, a great bunch of boys. :Santa:

I've updated the website apart from the missing Falmouth goal scorers.

Who's leading your teams goal scoring chart, who's the leagues hot-shots, the top 4 are starting to pull away from the rest?

Who is watched by most people? It's all there just click on the link below

How's your teams form compared to the rest?

Where are you in the league and how good are you home and away?

Click on the link below and enjoy

http://www.comboleaguearchive.110mb.com/2008%20welcome.htm

Guest Peppermint

I would like to add my thanks to Ronins CTB.

On behalf of Newquay Football Club thank you very much for all your hard work - your website is brilliant.

Happy Christmas and a Great New Year.

St Just deserved their 3-1 win over Hayle at Lafrowda, which settled into a good sporting contest once the referee had wisely removed the hysterical son of Roger Toms after a screeching incursion on to the pitch. Five chances were missed before the opener in the 42nd minute, a looping header by Neil Curnow from Adam Flood's free kick on the right which dropped just under the bar and inside the far post. Hayle should have gone ahead earlier, when Simon Bevis struck the ball weakly at an empty net, giving Darren Ball time to chase back and poke the shot round the post for a corner. In added time at the end of the half, the move of the match involved Tom Dann exchanging passes with three other players before squaring for Chris Curnow to tap in.

John Bird hit a post at the start of the second half for St Just, but Hayle looked as if they could get back into the game, Andy Withers...class player..... making mazy runs down the right. However, an inspired substitution brought the third for St Just, Tenniel Carey crossing for Tom Mannering to net from close range, after which Hayle heads went down, although a bigger defeat would have been harsh on the basis of 90 minutes. Simon Bevis took a consolation well just befoe the final whistle.

Crowd: 42.