Cornwall Football Forum

Penzance AFC

Guest insider

Guest insider

Good away result for PZ today i see, just a thought ......... Who would still be playing for them for the good of the club after the budget is pulled as rumoured after xmas????

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Any chance of expanding on the rumours, we are due to play PZ on friday and would love it if Trev and the boys had some bad news before we get there.... the fact they got done by a pub team is not enough !

Any win against the lot from down the road is a good one. G are a hard working bunch who do not let the opposition settle on the ball, as Trev et al found out.

Boxing Day will be a lively affair, perhaps Mr Martin will transport his players in some old Taxis.

Any chance of expanding on the rumours, we are due to play PZ on friday and would love it if Trev and the boys had some bad news before we get there.... the fact they got done by a pub team is not enough !

Need to sort out your stammering fingers........... :thumbsup:

i would be very suprised to see newquay get anything at penzance judge. And cant see how you can call godolphin a pub side when they just beat previously unbeaten penzance and are above you in the league this morning. what does that say about newquay . credit where credit is due, godolhin may be a small club but they are proving themselves well and could soon be the top team in newquay.

Don't get me wrong Dave, I, along with 40-50 other Newquay fans saw the G v PZ match and were impressed with the way G battled against a PZ side who were not used to playing on a very poor pitch (I'm sure someone from PZ called it a cabbage patch). PZ were not up for it, thought they could turn up and walk back with 3 points, G did them good and proper. 2 decisions went G's way but PZ should have had enough to win despite this.

As for being called a pub team, as every footballing resident of Newquay knows, Godolphin is the name of the pub where the club were founded, they have come up through the leagues and done well for themselves, but once a pub team, always a pub team ! They may well be 2 points ahead of Newquay at the moment but we have a game in hand (Tues 7.30pm Mount Wise v Camelford).

Anyway, back to the thread, whats the story with PZ. Everyone knows certain individuals are only there for the money, can we expect a mass exodus, maybe even the manager ? I just hope the loyal PZ fans are not left with a false dawn, they deserve to be in the Prem Div but at what cost ?

Good away result for PZ today i see, just a thought ......... Who would still be playing for them for the good of the club after the budget is pulled as rumoured after xmas????

Let`s hope it`s only a rumour,but the local lads would see them through as in years gone by. :ninja:

Let`s hope it`s only a rumour,but the local lads would see them through as in years gone by. :ninja:

Yeah lets hope its a rumour----------NOT!!!!!

Local lads might see them through but wont see them promoted.

Yeah lets hope its a rumour----------NOT!!!!!

Local lads might see them through but wont see them promoted.

You seem really jealous of the little bit of success that PZ are having at the moment! Nearly all your posts are a dig at them, why is that?

It seems incredulous that people can even think about spreading malicious and unsubstantiated rumours about Clubs and/or individuals on this website without fear of any reprisal - or the courage to reveal their real identity.

Particularly in the current ecconomic climate, a suggestion such as Insider's - thought totally untrue - could have a damaging effect upon a club and an even more catastophic effect upon others connected with it.

I'm all for people having the right to express their opinions but could we please deal in FACTS and not unsubstantiated rumours.

If there ever is any news - good or bad - which Penzance AFC feels it needs to share with the rest of the world, it will come in the form of an official statement from the club.

Interesting that the forum user (Insider) who started this thread has not come back to explain his original observation.

I for one have nothing but respect for the PZ officials and supporters, our 2 clubs histories are not dissimiliar. I hope that Fridays match will be closer than some are predicting, perhaps PZ may even score !!!

It seems incredulous that people can even think about spreading malicious and unsubstantiated rumours about Clubs and/or individuals on this website without fear of any reprisal - or the courage to reveal their real identity.

Particularly in the current ecconomic climate, a suggestion such as Insider's - thought totally untrue - could have a damaging effect upon a club and an even more catastophic effect upon others connected with it.

I'm all for people having the right to express their opinions but could we please deal in FACTS and not unsubstantiated rumours.

If there ever is any news - good or bad - which Penzance AFC feels it needs to share with the rest of the world, it will come in the form of an official statement from the club.

john you know what its like get a bit of success ,and the greeneyed monsters are on here,mr t jumps on all the successful sides even went on about truro beating the bott side,what should have they done not played them ,just ignore them mate :clapper: :c:

As the Reds of Merseyside keep telling us, it's all about the history, they havn't won the league for 20 years !

Both Newquay and PZ have very long and proud histories and certainly have ambitions to bring back the good times. Some of us aim to assist PZ in their quest for funding, let us hope the bar is open by 6.15pm !!!

not sure if bar is open early,just know its usually empty an hour after game :lol:

You really aren't funny and I hope you are only 12! If not I feel sorry for anyone who has to talk to you during the day.

Another idiot who comes on here and just slag’s people and teams off. I imagine you don't do anything to help with the running of local football clubs. Just sit at home on your fat arse thinking up statements that no one else thinks are funny.

St.Justice - instead of falling into the trap of rising to the taunt of hansome dan, wouldn't it be better to counter it with the real facts and truth.

Regretfully, a lot of "football" clubhouses do empty fairly quickly these days. It's been a known fact for a number of years now.

Spend a bit of time in that very clubhouse and it is still fairly busy a couple of hours later. Is that good enough for you?

st justice, i am only stating the fact that clubhouse is usually empty pretty early,sorry if i upset you but i do enjoy a drink after a game ,always have and always will,may be money at pz but i would say it ain,t being spent at clubhouse.AT KFC or other ....oops there i go again :drink:

when i was playing for truro,i would drop tabby home after ten pints,thats what happened then,so most have to drive home now so thats why they dont stay so long.and the price of the beer,5 pints for a quid back then, :drink:

Not getting dragged into any debate about ill founded gossiping on here and sadly that is the down side of forum's.

Just like to say how well Penzance played on Saturday up at Galmpton Gents, the home side are a good side on their day and difficult to beat on their own patch. At 0-2 down at half time it was an uphill task and then Sid Taylor pulled off a great save from Shaun Friend in the opening minutes of the second spell and had that gone in it would have been game over.

The Magpies grew in stature from this point and fully deserved to win the game with a good display of attacking football and MOM rightly going to James Miller who was at the heart of virtually every attacking problem that was caused. A good travelling support were rewarded with the away side rightly claiming a Quarter~Final place.

Well done to both teams on a great advert for the South West Peninsula League and after being drawn away in every round a home tie for "The Magpies" would give them a huge advantage of reaching the last four. Hopefully all had a safe journey home, even those that sampled the delights of Torquay on a Saturday night.

Is that good enough for you?

Anything is better than slagging each other off! :thumbsup:

I'm really glad you are happy now Dave!

st justice, i am only stating the fact that clubhouse is usually empty pretty early,sorry if i upset you but i do enjoy a drink after a game ,always have and always will,may be money at pz but i would say it ain,t being spent at clubhouse.AT KFC or other ....oops there i go again :drink:

Yep there you go again, trying to be funny and failing miserably!

Sorry to be a gravedigger,but lets get back to the main question!Even if the gossip isn't true and the money continues for this season,will the money carry on next season!Will the money be pulled out if they don't win promotion??Does anyone know anything about the source of the funding e.g money man!!Are pz still having new facilities!!

Guest Magpie29

Sorry to be a gravedigger,but lets get back to the main question!Even if the gossip isn't true and the money continues for this season,will the money carry on next season!Will the money be pulled out if they don't win promotion??Does anyone know anything about the source of the funding e.g money man!!Are pz still having new facilities!!

Re the new facilities they were due to be discussed at a council meeting last week according to the club's website.

While having the highest of respect for the processes you describe, John; and appreciating the indelicacy of unsubstantiated rumours, surely Penzance AFC, if said rumours are untrue, would be denying them. Given the economic slump, especially in building and allied trades, I for one would warmly support any club that refused to be held to ransom by mercenaries. Penzance AFC's loyalty to local players in recent times is one of its most endearing characteristics.

So you are ceasing to pay players after Xmas ? Good for you...more power to your elbow ! :drink:

No shame in reducing the budget during the tough climate.

In fact as mentioned before; not being held to ransom would be a bold and refreshing move for Cornish Football. (With the exception of 1 or 2 clubs who have made their stance on expenses)

As for Trevor, his future will be interesting to watch.

The move to Penzance as I understand was for the long term, building up the club from scratch and bringing on some kids etc. Large amounts of money are not required for such a policy, so should we even be speculating about him and his future in light of any trim backs.........

...........Yeah probably! ;)

I always like a quote like this.

'If there ever is any news - good or bad - which Penzance AFC feels it needs to share'.

The words 'feels it needs to share' is a terrfic poltiical type response. personally I couldn't give a damn if the money has been pulled its that sentance which always amuses me. Of course they aren't going to tell everyone else what their financial situation is and nor should they. I just thought it was a great quote.

Guest Cornishdave1980

I agree - straight from the back pocket of Mr Brown.

Glad to hear the players are getting paid.....i might actually get a decent xmas present this year.

Xmas presents and holidays after the season has finished are one thing, but a budget which covers the period December to May is another. It is not a good time for a club to be dependent on the sponsorship of a builder, is it ? I do not know whether "I am the best" is a Penzance committee member: what is heard from them should be as good an authority for the current position as any. In the past and under entirely different management, Penzance has dramatically straited payments in the latter part of the season. The impact of such news is often less severe if it becomes clear only after it is too late for players to beat league signing-on deadlines for alternative clubs.

Surely players and supporters should be given a clear and unequivocal reassurance that, if the money is in fact not being reduced, that their contracts or agreements are safe for the season.

The best way to end this speculation would be for Penzance to make an open statement of the facts. What have they got to hide ? :unsure:

I would imagine that if, and when, anything needs to be said about Penzance AFC Cornishteddyboy (our most reliable source on everything PZ related) will let us know.

They're being frighteningly quiet on this: CTB, as always, as sagely diplomatic. There are obviously some "internal matters" being kept quiet here. That's the trouble with too much money in football: their Port and Truro factions apparently hardly speak to each other. It's about pay differentials, apparently. Great shame if a Penwith club gets split down the middle like this by bickering outsiders. I have nothing but sympathy for the powers that be at Penzance : I merely question whether failing to reveal the true facts is the best way to quash speculation. :unsure:

Come in Peace !

Can't see any one from Penzance confirming one way or the other, we have a similar situation this side of the Bridge, everyone knows about the Newton Abbot situation and Dawlish Town in the Western League have also off loaded all high earners and reduced budget dramatically, last week alone by another four hundred quid, Buckland have just signed one of there best players and rumours are others are about to jump ship, Dawlish players were told constantly the night before they would be paid, then at Taunton services on route told they wouldn't be. Players then leave. I am one who is hoping Penzance can maintain there position because it would be a great day out for us Devonians and even better because of easy train links. Can't wait until Penzance or Newquay join the Prem !

Fair comment; and the identity of the league would be strengthened if there were more clubs within its top division less dependent on Plymouth-based players. Nevertheless, players who expect, rightly or wrongly, to be paid, as in any employment situation, deserve clear infomation about the likely impact of the financial crisis, so they can decide whether to stay or move. In the far west, it is ironic that some of the strongest advocates of secrecy are those who have been most critical of the pay policies of other clubs.

"Thus the whirligig of time brings in his revenges." :drink:

The age old battle of the barons and mercenaries of football goes on.....

"All things have their ends and cycles. And when they have reached their highest point, they are in their lowest ruin, for they cannot last for long in such a state. Such is the end for those who cannot moderate their fortune and prosperity with reason and temperance"

Wonder which teams will be in the firing line next season?

You have to feel sorry for a manager, lured all the way down to Penzance from way up the line, having been promised megabucks to support a squad, being told suddenly that he can only take a limited number of subs with him and that those other players must turn out in the Combo League for a side that draws 0-0 with St Agnes and loses heavily at home to St Day and St Just. Now why would you travel all that way to join a rserve team in the Combo League for nothing if there are ten better teams closer to home? And what is the impact on the local boys in that Combo team who are forcibly displaced as a result ? Not really the right way of showing commitment to the area, is it ?

OK, there are arguments on both sides. But why aren't they communicating it all in a straightforward way ? Other clubs or individuals may have forked out for one or two rabbits and carthorses in the past, but they always kept their promises to players.

Not worth the bother now. Down to fifth with only the Throgmorton Cup to play for (heard of that one down here, ave'ee ? )

Might as well get on and build the houses on the Magpie Club now. Don't like this talk of building an alternative ground on the Eastern Green. I can see that from one of my fields when I'm picnicking out there with Mother and I'm not having some bunch of mercenaries ruining my scenic view of the Mount ! :Santa:

You have to feel sorry for a manager, lured all the way down to Penzance from way up the line, having been promised megabucks to support a squad, being told suddenly that he can only take a limited number of subs with him and that those other players must turn out in the Combo League for a side that draws 0-0 with St Agnes and loses heavily at home to St Day and St Just. Now why would you travel all that way to join a rserve team in the Combo League for nothing if there are ten better teams closer to home? And what is the impact on the local boys in that Combo team who are forcibly displaced as a result ? Not really the right way of showing commitment to the area, is it ?

OK, there are arguments on both sides. But why aren't they communicating it all in a straightforward way ? Other clubs or individuals may have forked out for one or two rabbits and carthorses in the past, but they always kept their promises to players.

Not worth the bother now. Down to fifth with only the Throgmorton Cup to play for (heard of that one down here, ave'ee ? )

Might as well get on and build the houses on the Magpie Club now. Don't like this talk of building an alternative ground on the Eastern Green. I can see that from one of my fields when I'm picnicking out there with Mother and I'm not having some bunch of mercenaries ruining my scenic view of the Mount ! :Santa:

Penzance reserve side against St. Agnes as follows:

Craig Nicholls 26

Gary Mathews 19

Charlie Penney 18

Darren Holsey 36

Ryan Holland 18

Tom Widdecombe 18

Steve Burt 21

Ross Badcock 18

Steve Hancock 23

Wade Brown 21

Ashley Grey 22

James England 16

Tom Hosking 18

Where are the superstars in that team? CHUMP!

I wish to make a complete to Penzance and to the league for playing a team far too young, my legs are still aching from running up and down on a bit pitch which was a bit boggy down the Stand side. I said Holsey was probably oldest in the team by 5 or 6 years!! dammit it was chuffing 10! and Nicks is only 26?? get out of it, that lads having a hard life!! ha ha.

A lot of good players in that Penzance side, but some need to develop a sense of humour and have a laugh

Enough of this. Time to get realistic.

OK, as Penzance supporter of well over 35 years I'm kind of used to disappointment: if the money goes and the squad breaks up then ce la vie.

However: IF the squad stays together and plays to potential then the scenario is not so grim. We're only two points behind the leaders and due to play them in a couple of weeks time. Before that we have a couple of difficult but winnable games away at Camelford and Callington. the whole picture could be looking better come the New Year.

This is a real test of Mr Mewton's mettle as a manager: I wonder how often over the last few decades he has faced a three out of four losing streak ( and that could have been four out of four but for a get out of jail card up at Galmpton). Let's face it, he rarely faced a one game losing streakl whilst at Blazey and Truro.

I'd be interested to hear what he and Ray Nicholls have had to say at training to motivate what must be a fairly down group of players.

C'MON THE MAGPIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo: