Cornwall Football Forum

PIRAN FILMS VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS: CLEVEDON TOWN v HELSTON ATHLETIC

Despite the very bobbly surface a cracking game of football especially the second half. Helston would have been gutted if they had only come away with a point as especially after the red card they were utterly dominant and even before that were the better team. But fair play to Helston they never got desperate they kept playing their football and eventually got their just reward. Colwell and Shepherd the two standout players on the pitch for me, Colwell every time he had the ball used it well and Shepherd was a thorn in Clevedon's side all afternoon the only way they could stop him was to constantly foul him. 

46 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Surely Matt hasn't been given a straight red for celebrating? That's outrageous. The effort and time that goes into running a team at that level and he's sent for enjoying one of the brief moments of ecstasy. That's what it's all about! 

There’s probably some short of around law about a manager leaving the technical area or something. 

6 minutes ago, St Darren said:

There’s probably some short of around law about a manager leaving the technical area or something. 

Team Officials

Where an offence is committed by someone from the technical area (substitute, substituted player, sent-off player or team official) and the offender cannot be identified, the senior team coach present in the technical area will receive the sanction.

WARNING

The following offences should usually result in a warning; repeated or blatant offences should result in a caution or sending-off:

• entering the field of play in a respectful/non-confrontational manner
  • failing to cooperate with a match official e.g. ignoring an instruction/request from an assistant referee or the fourth official
  • minor/low-level disagreement (by word or action) with a decision
  • occasionally leaving the confines of the technical area without committing another offence

CAUTION

Caution offences include (but are not limited to):

• clearly/persistently not respecting the confines of their team’s technical area
  • delaying the restart of play by their team
  • deliberately entering the technical area of the opposing team (non-confrontational)
  • dissent by word or action including:
    • throwing/kicking drinks bottles or other objects
    • action(s) which show(s) a clear lack of respect for the match official(s) e.g.sarcastic clapping
  • entering the referee review area (RRA)
  • excessively/persistently gesturing for a red or yellow card
  • excessively showing the TV signal for a VAR ‘review’
  • gesturing or acting in a provocative or inflammatory manner
  • persistent unacceptable behaviour (including repeated warning offences)
  • showing a lack of respect for the game

SENDING OFF

Sending-off offences include (but are not limited to):

• delaying the restart of play by the opposing team e.g. holding onto the ball, kicking the ball away, obstructing the movement of a player
  • deliberately leaving the technical area to:
    • show dissent towards, or remonstrate with, a match official
    • act in a provocative or inflammatory manner
  • enter the opposing technical area in an aggressive or confrontational manner
  • deliberately throwing/kicking an object onto the field of play
  • entering the field of play to:
    • confront a match official (including at half-time and full-time)
    • interfere with play, an opposing player or a match official
  • entering the video operation room (VOR)
  • physical or aggressive behaviour (including spitting or biting) towards an opposing player, substitute, team official, match official, spectator or any
    other person (e.g. ball boy/girl, security or competition official etc.)
  • receiving a second caution in the same match
  • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or action(s)
  • using unauthorised electronic or communication equipment and/or behaving in an inappropriate manner as a result of using electronic or communication equipment
  • violent conduct

I understand the law but a red is too harsh. A referee albeit a difficult job needs to impose some form of humanity to that situation and have understanding at the elation. Was Jose Mourinho sent off at Old Trafford when he raced down the touchline when his Porto side beat Utd? I can't remember now but an infamous scene. 

14 minutes ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

I've just posted the law that relates to technical area conduct. I haven't offered an opinion. 

Read the law, and then make your mind up if you think a red card offence has been committed... 

the referees in the Premier league just make things up as they go along or use their “discretion”. All he had to do was do that. 

33 minutes ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

Read the law, and then make your mind up if you think a red card offence has been committed... 

Don't need to read the laws - as St Darren mentions - use discretion. A top two match, an added-on time winner! It's common sense!

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Don't need to read the laws - as St Darren mentions - use discretion. A top two match, an added-on time winner! It's common sense!

Go on Dave. Humour me.

Read the list of sending off offences and tell me which offence might have been committed? 

(Full disclosure, I'm on the side of not sending off here!)

It isn't covered at the end of the clip about the Helston manager but that is surely a good case as any to appeal as looking at the list of sending off offences that hasn't come close to it I can't even see where you could warn or give him a yellow. I can only think that he has done something else that the video doesn't show as theres surely no way a ref is sending him off for that 

Mikel Arteta was given a yellow for "excessively celebrating" Declan Rice's 97th-minute winner in Arsenal's game vs Luton earlier this season and closer to home Jake Ash got a yellow for excessive celebration of Mousehole’s 97th minute goal vs Bemerton Heath Harlequins in December. Both of those cards felt (to this Arsenal & Mousehole fan) like ridiculously over the top killjoy behaviour. A red card for celebrating a goal and I’m joining the “game’s gone” club. 

7 hours ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

I've just posted the law that relates to technical area conduct. I haven't offered an opinion. 

Then the law is an ass! (as someone famous once said).

Should always be room for interpretation and common sense. 

Based on the clip, there is a lot of speculation to why he's sent off. You would need to see more, and a full run from the start of the goal celebration, but having stood behind Matt at games in the past, I did wonder if he'd been sent off due the actions of another.

It's safe to say I could stand close to the dugout with my grandson, whilst others I don't feel happy within a hundred yards.

‘SENDING OFF Sending-off offences include (but are not limited to):’ says it all really. He could have been sent off for anything as it’s unlimited. So the referee has decided to send him off for reasons currently unknown and forum users have given their own opinions on the matter. It would be great to see referee’s match reports (made public under the Freedom of Information Act - FOI) on such matters so we can all learn something. Opinions are only opinions and forum users shouldn’t be so defensive.

1 hour ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

‘SENDING OFF Sending-off offences include (but are not limited to):’ says it all really. He could have been sent off for anything as it’s unlimited. So the referee has decided to send him off for reasons currently unknown and forum users have given their own opinions on the matter. It would be great to see referee’s match reports (made public under the Freedom of Information Act - FOI) on such matters so we can all learn something. Opinions are only opinions and forum users shouldn’t be so defensive.

The FA are not a public authority and as such can't be served with an FOI. 

Whilst the list is not exhaustive, it is close to a full set. There's not a great deal more that could be added to it. Obviously it would become a problem if after every goal managers and coaches were bolting down the touchlines and would expect the rules to be made specific in this scenario. Top 2 clash, won in the death, providing there are no other offences, I think that gets overlooked in most cases. 

Of course, teams could help themselves, where they want the manager to be involved in the celebration, perhaps take the celebrations to him.

Not sure if you are aiming the defensive comment at me, but, I was simply answering a question about if there was a rule about leaving the technical area and seemed to be immediately judged as suggesting the decision was correct, which was not the case. Further comments were made about the rules this, the rules that (still without having read them). I know they can't have, because they would have realised I was pointing to the fact there is no offence of leaving the technical area to celebrate a goal. Make of that what you will...

52 minutes ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

The FA are not a public authority and as such can't be served with an FOI. 

Whilst the list is not exhaustive, it is close to a full set. There's not a great deal more that could be added to it. Obviously it would become a problem if after every goal managers and coaches were bolting down the touchlines and would expect the rules to be made specific in this scenario. Top 2 clash, won in the death, providing there are no other offences, I think that gets overlooked in most cases. 

Of course, teams could help themselves, where they want the manager to be involved in the celebration, perhaps take the celebrations to him.

Not sure if you are aiming the defensive comment at me, but, I was simply answering a question about if there was a rule about leaving the technical area and seemed to be immediately judged as suggesting the decision was correct, which was not the case. Further comments were made about the rules this, the rules that (still without having read them). I know they can't have, because they would have realised I was pointing to the fact there is no offence of leaving the technical area to celebrate a goal. Make of that what you will...

Without seeing the full clip, which I doubt is available, it's pure speculation or guess work to why he was sent off. It doesn't help that Steve's commentary says he been sent off for celebrating as that sets the hare's running.

I did wonder at the time if it was two separate events as the assistant and referee are going back to their positions to restart play, no indication to suggest an offense has been committed and that Matt had been sanctioned for an action of another of which he takes responsibility. Again speculation, it's like trying to solve a mystery with the first piece and last piece of action, with anything that happened missing..

37 minutes ago, Railwayman in Exile said:

Without seeing the full clip, which I doubt is available, it's pure speculation or guess work to why he was sent off. It doesn't help that Steve's commentary says he been sent off for celebrating as that sets the hare's running.

I did wonder at the time if it was two separate events as the assistant and referee are going back to their positions to restart play, no indication to suggest an offense has been committed and that Matt had been sanctioned for an action of another of which he takes responsibility. Again speculation, it's like trying to solve a mystery with the first piece and last piece of action, with anything that happened missing..

Matt certainly seems to suggest via his twitter post it was for that, which adds a bit more context.

"Jose Mourinho type celebrations are not allowed though"

But you are right, the highlights don't give us enough to draw conclusions on whether anything over and above the goal celebration was done that caused the referee to send him off.