Cornwall Football Forum

Mini shin pads

Is it time for the FA whether it be national or local to ban the use of mini shin pads for youth football.  They offer no protection and are merely just a marketing/fashion statement. 

The Pro’s that wear them aren’t helping the cause as children are influenced by them. 

i think that they should be banned for youth football and club welfare officers should be pushing this to the FA. 

As a double shin pad wearer back in “the day” my sole purpose in the team was to win the ball, so I do obviously agree.

HOWEVER, given that football is fast becoming a non contact sport. Are they as necessary as they used to be.

23 minutes ago, Mrgreen said:

As a double shin pad wearer back in “the day” my sole purpose in the team was to win the ball, so I do obviously agree.

HOWEVER, given that football is fast becoming a non contact sport. Are they as necessary as they used to be.

I think that’s possibly the case at TV level football.  But at grassroots the inability to tackle is still there. 

This is also just kids I’m talking about. At youth football the various levels of physicality at the same age is immense.  

22 minutes ago, St Darren said:

I think that’s possibly the case at TV level football.  But at grassroots the inability to tackle is still there. 

This is also just kids I’m talking about. At youth football the various levels of physicality at the same age is immense.  

Decent point, well made. Especially regarding the difference in physicality. 

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

But as its "just kids" is the physicality there at this stage? Or does that come from say age 20+?

Its fashion St. Darren , the quest to be in fashion  is more important than common sense . For example why would anyone with a modicum of common sense pay £80 + for a pair of jeans with the knees ripped out ? You have to bear in mind that sports equipment manufacturers have to come up with new ideas to increase their profits . The poor old Premiership player has to supplement his meagre income by being paid to wear the latest product regardless of whether it is safe or not .It then becomes fashionable so "everyone"  particularly young players have to have it .

2 minutes ago, fenman said:

Its fashion St. Darren , the quest to be in fashion  is more important than common sense . For example why would anyone with a modicum of common sense pay £80 + for a pair of jeans with the knees ripped out ? You have to bear in mind that sports equipment manufacturers have to come up with new ideas to increase their profits . The poor old Premiership player has to supplement his meagre income by being paid to wear the latest product regardless of whether it is safe or not .It then becomes fashionable so "everyone"  particularly young players have to have it .

I’ve ordered some grip socks for the kids and these mini shin pads come free with them!!   I’ll take a picture of them and show them on here. Kids should not be allowed to wear these!!

I was at a game today and there was a player whose socks were rolled down on his ankles right below the shin. Will other clubs happily take the risk? Easiest way to stop it is for the insurance companies to state that if not adequately protected a player will not receive a payment in the event of an injury