Poole Town    P-P       Walton & Hersham

Sholing           0-4            Tiverton Town

Winchester City  P-P  Swindon Supermarine

DIVISION ONE SOUTH

Bemerton Heath Harlequins    4-2            Bristol Manor Farm

Bideford         1-1          Yate Town

Cribbs   2-1          Wimborne Town

Larkhall Athletic     5-0     Exmouth Town

Malvern Town   6-0            Bashley (latest score at 77 mins)

Mousehole        1-3            Evesham United

Paulton Rovers   2-4        Bishops Cleeve

Westbury United      2-3            Tavistock

Willand Rovers v       Melksham Town

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 18 November 2023
3 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

Don’t act like you don’t know what I’m on about

I know what you're getting at, but it made me think and wonder - how close has a player actually got to be to his club's home ground to qualify as being local!

I reckon the player has to live in the town he's playing for to be local, which then if you trawled through all the clubs in Cornwall there would probably be very few "local" players!

However, does it actually matter if a player is local or not?

26 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I know what you're getting at, but it made me think and wonder - how close has a player actually got to be to his club's home ground to qualify as being local!

I reckon the player has to live in the town he's playing for to be local, which then if you trawled through all the clubs in Cornwall there would probably be very few "local" players!

However, does it actually matter if a player is local or not?

Think the issue is fans come on here and slag off other clubs for bringing in non locals and then when it suits do exactly the same thing and all of a sudden it’s ok. Think the word is hypocrisy 🤔🤔

All down to opinions I guess. I’d say next county is suffice myself.

Some clubs pay big wages, others provide accommodation and employment, others give young lads a chance at a higher level.

I know it’s a Cornwall forum but to be ahead of Mousehole (who Pablo regularly refers to as a big club on the podcast) shows testament to our club. We’re just a pub team from Devon ❤️❤️

8 minutes ago, le boss said:

Think the issue is fans come on here and slag off other clubs for bringing in non locals and then when it suits do exactly the same thing and all of a sudden it’s ok. Think the word is hypocrisy 🤔🤔

Don’t think anyone expects a players from their own town only criteria. I think attracting players from all over the UK is enough to question myself

Jake Ash is in the worst spell of his short managerial career, must be some deep thinking and head scratching going on.

Notice a new name on the bench today for Mousehole Kamani McFarlane. A quick Google reveals that he's a right winger who was previously playing for Essex Isthmian League North side Waldon & Tiptree. Wonder if time is running out for a few current players, and that changes could be in the offing?

42 minutes ago, Box 2 Box said:

How many players do you have on loan from professional clubs ? 

We’re about to lose a couple I’m afraid! 🙃

Could be worse we could be housing and employing them and claiming to be skint.

Started today without Taylor Scarff, Iestyn Harris, Jacob Bowker and Joe O’Connor.

Started really and a good cross from Ben Fowles was nodded in by Alex Battle to open the scoring. Immediately Westbury pegged us back and the score remained 1-1 until the second half. The Mighty (Liam) Prynn rounded the keeper to make it 2-1 to the Lambs before the home side scored from a corner to make it 2-2.

Less than 60 seconds later and Exeter City loanee Mitch Beardmore (who I believe will be playing step 3 next) scored to make it 3-2 to Tavistock.

Ben Fowles was replaced by 16/17 year old Will Sullivan (who has played for Millbrook this season I believe) for the last 20 minutes but we held on for a great victory on the road. 

On the bench as an unused sub was 16 year old Will Elliott who has been featuring for Bodmin recently, however he got 20 minutes last week away from home against Bristol Manor Farm.

8 unbeaten now for Tavistock who have pulled well clear from the relegation zone after a difficult start. Up the Lambs!!

9 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Looks like Tavistock are using the SWPL well to get some good quality game time in to their younger players. A good tactic as long as their heads don't get turned and they decide to stay!

Think that was the whole ethos behind their development team. Players would be signed to Tavi, and train with them, but would be farmed out for game time.

16 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Think that was the whole ethos behind their development team. Players would be signed to Tavi, and train with them, but would be farmed out for game time.

I don’t know the full ins and outs but I believe you’re correct. Any youngsters within the Matchday squad will have been regularly training amongst the first team I think.

On 19/11/2023 at 10:56, Yourhavingalaugh said:

I don’t think Mousehole or Helston have the same ethos with their development teams.

It's a slightly different model for Tavistock over those 2 Clubs though. Tavy bring players onboard to train with the 1sts and then litter in some Development friendlies throughout the season to have a closer look when they are positioned at other clubs, you can see that this has worked well with Rutter, Sullivan and Elliott. I know they're on the look out for a new manager with Dave Ottley stepping into a formal committee role overseeing the football activity, a great opportunity for someone.

Mousehole and Helston's "Dev" sides play competitively week in/out, albeit at a slightly lower level as I'm sure they'd like. Having links with SWPL teams seem key for those Clubs in the Western League + Tavistock, Mousehole and Parkway. Is the Penzance link for Helston still alive?

5 minutes ago, L.Gibbons said:

It's a slightly different model for Tavistock over those 2 Clubs though. Tavy bring players onboard to train with the 1sts and then litter in some Development friendlies throughout the season to have a closer look when they are positioned at other clubs, you can see that this has worked well with Rutter, Sullivan and Elliott. I know they're on the look out for a new manager with Dave Ottley stepping into a formal committee role overseeing the football activity, a great opportunity for someone.

Mousehole and Helston's "Dev" sides play competitively week in/out, albeit at a slightly lower level as I'm sure they'd like. Having links with SWPL teams seem key for those Clubs in the Western League + Tavistock, Mousehole and Parkway. Is the Penzance link for Helston still alive?

With Truro City Res already in the SWPL also Mousehole Devs being contenders near the top of the St Piran League and possibilities to join them, what do people on here think about the this league potentially being a home for more club second teams? Helston are strong candidates for promotion this season, so it would also make their devs eligible to play at a higher level (even though they are well off the pace in the St Piran West). Falmouth could also fall into this category. Know that people worry about the credibility of the competition, and the chance of sides being able to field higher step players (perfectly legally) in certain games 

When we were pushing for promotion a few years back, I approached the SWPL/TWL under the merger to see the art of the possibility for our own Reserves to be promoted. I appreciate the reasons of having that 2 league gap but I've found that it can cause problems retaining personnel within our Reserves (& 3rd team). I would've argued that our facilities were in a much better place than those at Truro.

The St Piran League have helped Clubs, in my eyes, allowing an individual to only sign for one Club. If this was extended through to the Western League I'd see the benefit at Torpoint but again, appreciate it wouldn't suit all.